Notices

Classic Impreza Turbo 2000 Rear Hand Brake Drum

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2010, 07:29 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Impreza Turbo 2000 Rear Hand Brake Drum

I've got a classic Impreza Turbo 2000 (W Reg 2000), what is the hand brake drum size?

Is it the same as the WRX or the larger STI size?

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 04 October 2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 07:37 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

170mm. Only cars with the R180 rear diff have the 190mm handbrake. If you're doing a two pot rear brake conversion you need newage WRX rear discs.
Old 14 July 2010, 07:43 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered K-Sport rears and we decided on the 170mm drum as i told him i had the single pot rear caliper. Just making sure it was the right choice, in which i believe it is!

Thanks

Old 14 July 2010, 08:41 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

If you have the 190mm drum on the classic and want to upgrade to the 2 pot caliper from the newage WRX, then what disc do you use if the newage WRX disc has the 170mm drum!?

Thanks

Old 14 July 2010, 08:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saalro
If you have the 190mm drum on the classic and want to upgrade to the 2 pot caliper from the newage WRX, then what disc do you use if the newage WRX disc has the 170mm drum!?

Thanks
Sam
That's a silly question. If you have the 190mm drum on a classic then you have a version 4/5/6 Type R/RA and already have the two pot rear caliper.
Old 14 July 2010, 08:56 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitpin
That's a silly question. If you have the 190mm drum on a classic then you have a version 4/5/6 Type R/RA and already have the two pot rear caliper.
+1
Old 14 July 2010, 08:59 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

In my defence as previously mentioned:

There's No Such Thing As A Stupid (Silly) Question …… Only Stupid (Silly) Answers!

I'm learning :P

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 04 October 2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 15 July 2010, 12:30 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my rears...

New Age on a MY00

The hand brake drum size from memory is an extra 20mm in diameter from standard.... I just had enlarged brake shoes made, there is more than one one to get there
Old 15 July 2010, 07:35 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Sorry to thread hijack, but I have an MY99 UK Impreza with Type R rear brakes. Would the newage WRX discs be a direct replacement for what I have? I could do with some new discs soon and am thinking ones that are marketed specifically for the STI Type R might be more expensive than ones marketed for a newage WRX despite, possibly being the same size?
Old 15 July 2010, 11:32 AM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Here's my rears...

New Age on a MY00

The hand brake drum size from memory is an extra 20mm in diameter from standard.... I just had enlarged brake shoes made, there is more than one one to get there
A newage STI?

Wouldn't a bigger hub mean that the pad position and all would be different? Or did you have to buy a bracket to allow this change?

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
Sorry to thread hijack, but I have an MY99 UK Impreza with Type R rear brakes. Would the newage WRX discs be a direct replacement for what I have? I could do with some new discs soon and am thinking ones that are marketed specifically for the STI Type R might be more expensive than ones marketed for a newage WRX despite, possibly being the same size?
Do you know how yours was sorted so that the shoes worked with the larger drum Saint AAI?

Thanks

Old 15 July 2010, 05:25 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I had the full drivetrain and rear brakes/hubs from a Type R fitted so I'm guessing whatever handbrake setup is going on back there was swapped over from the Type R. I've never actually had a look to check though.
Old 15 July 2010, 05:56 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

So you would have the 190mm drum (R180 rear diff.).

I think the newage WRX discs are 170mm drums because otherwise the conversion for newage 2 pots to classic wouldn't work so easy. Unless they are 190 and you need bigger shoes made like Silver Scooby Sport had done for his Brembos.

I believe the brakes Silver Scooby Sport has are from an STI as they are Brembos. So newage STIs must have a 190 drum as he said his were 20mm bigger.

Thanks

Old 15 July 2010, 06:21 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
I had the full drivetrain and rear brakes/hubs from a Type R fitted so I'm guessing whatever handbrake setup is going on back there was swapped over from the Type R. I've never actually had a look to check though.
If you've had a full R180 back end transplanted on, you will have the 190mm handbrake and therefore will need proper classic Type R/RA rear discs. Newage WRX discs won't fit.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:14 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I think the newage WRX discs are 170mm drums because otherwise the conversion for newage 2 pots to classic wouldn't work so easy. Unless they are 190 and you need bigger shoes made like Silver Scooby Sport had done for his Brembos.

I believe the brakes Silver Scooby Sport has are from an STI as they are Brembos. So newage STIs must have a 190 drum as he said his were 20mm bigger.

Thanks
Sam
This is where my confusion comes from with him saying his drums are 20mm bigger? So does the Newage STI have a bigger drum then the WRX, but the disc is bigger as well so won't be a straight swap for standard Type R/RA discs?

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If you've had a full R180 back end transplanted on, you will have the 190mm handbrake and therefore will need proper classic Type R/RA rear discs. Newage WRX discs won't fit.
I do have 190mm drums on, just didn't know if any discs off newer cars were the same size. Thank you for clearing that up Splitpin. I've also had to bin my ABS.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 16 July 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:29 AM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Why did you have to bin ABS!

Thanks

Old 16 July 2010, 01:04 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Something to do with the bigger hubs and the ABS ring I think. They were going to try and fit it using Forrester parts as well, not sure what they were going to do, but I just told them to remove it to save hassle as the car will eventually be track only and I'm not bothered about ABS anyway. Most of the ABS stuff is still on the car, it just doesn't work and I think the ABS light has been removed from the dash.
Old 16 July 2010, 02:01 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Why did you have to bin ABS!
4/5/6 Type R/RA's don't have ABS, and therefore their rear hubs don't have wheel speed sensors. So, transplant the back end from one onto an ABS car, you have no way of measuring the rotation speed of the back wheels.

Saint AAI: As you say, there are plenty of newage cars with the 190mm handbrake - all STis. However, the catch is that 99.9% of them have the 316mm main rear disc for the Brembo caliper.

The only exceptions to that are the handful of JDM cars delivered in gravel homologation trim (i.e. with 16" steel wheels and the smaller brakes).
Old 16 July 2010, 03:25 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
Sam
Sorry guys only just managed to get on here to reply, firstly my car's a uk 4 door, they are the original hubs etc on there but the discs and calipers are off an 06 sti you can see I've had the PCD drilled out for my classic PCD fitment. There is a bracket which bolts on the hub to mount the caliper on then I have had the dust cover removed off the back of the hub in order to mount the disc and caliper on.

I've got a few links here for you to look through which should give you a better in sight... they are old links but should contain what your looking for.

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...onversion.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...-and-rear.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...y-classic.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...d-brembos.html

Just remember that some of the info questions contained was still in the early day's of understanding what needed doing, I think it's safe to say that even now there are many running the rear conversion a few years ago it was new ground and there was possibly only a small handfull running them and understanding how to fit them onto uk cars, Type-r and P1 impreza's are running 2 pots as standard and the fitting is a lot easier.

Here's my thread https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/5...rear-disc.html hopefully that should contain what your after

Simon
Old 14 October 2010, 01:50 AM
Nemesis_911
Scooby Regular

Sorry to thread jack here but I'm having a small issue finding rear hand brake shoes for my V4 Type RA. Much like the O/P I'm trying to avoid the ridiculous pricing for getting the Type RA specific hand brake from the dealership in japan which could possibly well be the handbrake for another car that I didn't realize. I know that my car carries the R180 Diff, Subaru 2 pot rears, and has the 190mm hand brake.

From research I have seen that the V4 Type RA should carry the same handbrake as the New Age STi's from 2001 or 2002 to 2007. Is this the case? Would it be a direct match up without any fitment issues or the like? If so I can go ahead and order mine right now. If not I'll have to get ones "specific" to my car.