Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

fitting my rear brembos on my classic

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 05:19 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fitting my rear brembos on my classic

i brought a complete set of brembo brakes off an 06 sti a few weeks ago and ive fitted the fronts no problem at all but the rears are a completly different set up, ive done load of searches on here to try and find info or of some where that does a fitting kit but i had no joy, i very nearly sold them to but i decided to have a go myself, ive done some measuring up and the 315mm sti discs have got a larger handbrake shoe diameter of 190mm and the classic has 170mm, lm lucky to have a mate who is an engineer so we went down his factory sunday and made up some spacers to go inside the discs, we was going to make then out of steal but we thort we'd try alloy first as its easier to machine and its lighter.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1006.jpg

we heated the disc up and sweated the alloy spacers in so they are nice and solid, im also going to drill a few holes and fit some small grub screws into it to make sure they dont budge when the hanbake is on.
if the alloy turns out to be no good we,l have to make one out of steal, i carnt see it being a problem tho as its only used when the car is parked up.

the next mishon was to design a bracket to bolt on to the standard back plate to allow the brembo caliper to bolt on to, ive made up a template of what i need so i,ll be back down the factory after work tomorrow to make it up.
Old 19 June 2006, 07:28 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brave stuff!
Keep goin'
Graham
Old 19 June 2006, 09:15 PM
Homemade WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quite and interesting solution...never seen anyone run this route..most just install the R180 and drum brake assembly...
I like your thinking though...
the only issue with using the alum vs. steel is that alum expands twice that of steel per degree of increased temperature...
also alum is so soft...
Old 19 June 2006, 10:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this thread will help or not. Dyney had some brackets made up for the MY01 onwards rear 2-pots to fit on classic cars. Not sure how different the rear brembo's are. Might be worth reading it though
Old 19 June 2006, 11:32 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

[quote=Homemade WRX]quite and interesting solution...never seen anyone run this route..most just install the R180 and drum brake assembly...
I like your thinking though...
the only issue with using the alum vs. steel is that alum expands twice that of steel per degree of increased temperature...
also alum is so soft...[/quote

yeah i know what your saying mate, i dont really know much about how much the metals expand but i,ll just see how it goes, if it does'nt work i'll just make one out of steel and press it in. its all a bit of trial and error, all tho id like to get it done b4 santa pod this sunday. cheerz james
Old 19 June 2006, 11:35 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Not sure if this thread will help or not. Dyney had some brackets made up for the MY01 onwards rear 2-pots to fit on classic cars. Not sure how different the rear brembo's are. Might be worth reading it though
cheerz mate, i did notice that thread, they look like good brackets but he said they wont fit brembo calipers. i think ive got it sorted tho so i'll keep you posted. james
Old 20 June 2006, 06:21 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

I'm going to look into what the difference is dimension wise in my brackets to ones that would allow Brembos to fit.
Looks like a neat solution. Hope it all works
Old 20 June 2006, 10:04 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dyney
I'm going to look into what the difference is dimension wise in my brackets to ones that would allow Brembos to fit.
Looks like a neat solution. Hope it all works
cheerz, ive looked at the pictures of you brackets and i dont think they would have to be much different to fit the brembos, the hole centres for the brembos are 115mm, what centres are the newage subaru calipers? my brakets should be done tomoz so i,ll hopefully get them fitted.
Old 22 June 2006, 12:30 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Sounds very interesting, I've got a 2002 WRX bugeye and have all 4 STi callipers.
The front Brembo's went straight on and have made a huge difference with DS2500 pads and EBC grooved disks with braided hoses.
Would be great to fit the rear callipers and disks too!!!

Keep us updated as I have never tried this due to being told that there's no chance unless I fit the 6-speed box, prop shaft and hubs!!

Cheers

Ross
Old 22 June 2006, 12:31 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

top stuff should be 'THE' guide
Old 22 June 2006, 06:40 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

ok ive been back on it today, theres a disc guard that goes round the standard disc i had to grind this off as it fouls the new disc, ive painted round it with some hamerite to stop it rusting, my mate has made the brackets for me today im waiting for him to drop them off as we speak. i,ll try and get them fitted tonight.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1009.jpg
Old 22 June 2006, 06:40 PM
5cby
Scooby Regular

saw a guy in birmingham with a classic scooby that had STI brembo's front and rear
was going to ask him how but i was in my rover at the time and he gave me a strange look while i was looking at his motor
got to admit they look the biz on classics

steve
Old 22 June 2006, 06:44 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 5cby
saw a guy in birmingham with a classic scooby that had STI brembo's front and rear
was going to ask him how but i was in my rover at the time and he gave me a strange look while i was looking at his motor
got to admit they look the biz on classics

steve
ive saw a classic scoob with rear brembos on too, i think it was a type r. i think some classic might have different hubs so they bolt strait on. but i might be wrong, or maybe they have got 6 speeds fitted with the whole rear set up fitted.
Old 22 June 2006, 06:49 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

the discs are loads bigger than the classic ones i carnt wait to test them. just hope it all goes to plan. the front ones made loads of difference, they are a really good brake upgrade foe the money they cost.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1008.jpg
Old 22 June 2006, 08:47 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

heres the brackets im using

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1026.jpg

brackets bolted onto the back plate using some spacers behind.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1027.jpg
Old 22 June 2006, 08:50 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

ive got some spacer bar that i need to use to space out the caliper to the correct clearence but for now ive just used washers to test it all and see how it fits.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1030.jpg
Old 22 June 2006, 08:56 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

it all seems to fit fine, the caliper sits in a perfect position.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1031.jpg

im happy with how its turned out, its not the best bracket in the world but it should stay nice and solid, my next mishon is to cut a solid spacer to replace the washers, coat the bracket, put some lock tight on the threads and put some locking nuts on and thats job done.
Old 22 June 2006, 09:51 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

nice one james........ itchy fingers you have there to keep finding things to do
Old 22 June 2006, 10:13 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I think Dan at Godspeed in the US had a similar setup using the spacers that are an interference fit into the discs, suiting the smaller HB.

Out of business now! Market open to others me thinks.
Old 24 June 2006, 12:11 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

the finished product..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1033.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1034.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1035.jpg

got it all finished last night i just had to adjust the handbake up to suit this morning, it all seems fine, ive noticed a big difference with the braking im really impressed, it was quite a big job to do with lots of messing around but all that is a memory now.

Last edited by rentonone; 24 June 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06 July 2006, 04:05 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

top job there
Old 10 July 2006, 07:34 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
top job there
cheers mate, the brakes are working really well,ive had them on for a few weeks now, i can really feel the rears stopping me too.
Old 15 July 2006, 12:11 AM
JeffSTI2
Scooby Regular

Super job mate,

I've been looking for a solution to the same problem for a while myself. I didn't fancy the R180 rear end route, it just seemed a bit much just to have the gold Brembos on the back. I've seen the Godspeed (US) kit which is more or less exactly the same as what you've done but they're not about anymore, as previously quoted. I also found a firm in the US who do a rear conversion aimed at late WRX cars with R160 hubs (http://www.twrracing.com/products/subaru/subaru.html). Not sure if they would work on the classics though.

Just a couple of questions. Did you use grub screws in the end to keep the inserts in place? Have you made up a solid spacer yet to put in place of the washers as I'd guess the calipers are more likely to flex using washers, especially under heavy breaking.

Is there any chance you could let me know the dimensions for the brackets as this would save me a lot of agro as I havn't got the facilities at the moment to do my own measuring, or am I being a bit cheeky. I'd be eternally greatful.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 15 July 2006, 01:54 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JeffSTI2
Super job mate,

I've been looking for a solution to the same problem for a while myself. I didn't fancy the R180 rear end route, it just seemed a bit much just to have the gold Brembos on the back. I've seen the Godspeed (US) kit which is more or less exactly the same as what you've done but they're not about anymore, as previously quoted. I also found a firm in the US who do a rear conversion aimed at late WRX cars with R160 hubs (http://www.twrracing.com/products/subaru/subaru.html). Not sure if they would work on the classics though.

Just a couple of questions. Did you use grub screws in the end to keep the inserts in place? Have you made up a solid spacer yet to put in place of the washers as I'd guess the calipers are more likely to flex using washers, especially under heavy breaking.

Is there any chance you could let me know the dimensions for the brackets as this would save me a lot of agro as I havn't got the facilities at the moment to do my own measuring, or am I being a bit cheeky. I'd be eternally greatful.

Cheers

Jeff
hi mate,your link doesnt work. yes i used four 6mm grub srews in each disc to hold in the inserts. heres a pic.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1050.jpg

heres a pic of the solid spacer i made up, i also had to make a spacer to fit between the back plate and the bracket. heres a pic.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...n/100_1048.jpg

ive been thinking and i was wondering if there was a company that sold large rear discs for a classic, like godspeed. then you wouldnt have make up the inserts, you would just have to make up the bracket for the caliper.

ive still got a card board template that i can post to you if you want? save you doing a lot of measuring and messing about.

james

Last edited by rentonone; 15 July 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 15 July 2006, 05:22 PM
JeffSTI2
Scooby Regular

Hi James,

Try http://www.twrracing.com/ and click on products then the subaru link. I'm not sure why the other link didn't work .

You'll see their kit is a conversion for the late WRX's with the R160 rear hubs. I'm not exactly sure how it would equate to the classics though, I don't see that they wouldn't work though. I might send them an email and ask for the dimensions. The only thing with the American vendors is they didn't have much to do with classic Imprezas other than the 2.5RS which I don't know a great deal about.

They have made a two piece item with the bell (hat - US translation) having an internal diameter of 170mm but the actual disc (rotor - US translation) being suitable for use with the gold Brembos. Their kit comes with brackets which I don't think would be much use on a classic so they would still have to be fabricated, don't quote me on that as I'm not absolutely sure.

I'll send you my address on a private message so you can send me a copy of your template. Many thanks for that in advance. If you can let me know the distance between the bracket and the caliper, ie the depth of your spacer, that would be very useful. What I might try and do is see if I can get a bracket made as a one piece.

One more question - why did you need a spacer between the back plate and the bracket?

Cheers

Jeff
Old 16 July 2006, 11:37 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JeffSTI2
Hi James,

Try http://www.twrracing.com/ and click on products then the subaru link. I'm not sure why the other link didn't work .

You'll see their kit is a conversion for the late WRX's with the R160 rear hubs. I'm not exactly sure how it would equate to the classics though, I don't see that they wouldn't work though. I might send them an email and ask for the dimensions. The only thing with the American vendors is they didn't have much to do with classic Imprezas other than the 2.5RS which I don't know a great deal about.

They have made a two piece item with the bell (hat - US translation) having an internal diameter of 170mm but the actual disc (rotor - US translation) being suitable for use with the gold Brembos. Their kit comes with brackets which I don't think would be much use on a classic so they would still have to be fabricated, don't quote me on that as I'm not absolutely sure.

I'll send you my address on a private message so you can send me a copy of your template. Many thanks for that in advance. If you can let me know the distance between the bracket and the caliper, ie the depth of your spacer, that would be very useful. What I might try and do is see if I can get a bracket made as a one piece.

One more question - why did you need a spacer between the back plate and the bracket?

Cheers

Jeff
i needed to use a spacer between the back plate and the bracket to allow the bracket to sit flush, i had to mount the bracket on the oposite side of the backplate to where the standard caliper originally bolted on and there is a turn out edge so it wouldnt of fitted flush if you know what i mean. if you have a good look at the pics youl see. i think that kit that the us company sells would work on a classic if you used the brackets that 'dyney' sells on here, they allow you to fit the newage wrx calipers on a classic. his brackets look really good its a shame he dosnt make them to fit brembo calipers too as they are a one piece bracket so you wouldnt need spacers.
i,ll get that template sent to you and you can have a look. cheers james
Old 21 July 2006, 11:47 AM
JeffSTI2
Scooby Regular

Thanks James,

I've seen Dyney's brackets and I agree, they do look the biz'. I've got to get some measurements to know for sure what will fit and what won't.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 21 July 2006, 06:58 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Well done!
Old 11 August 2006, 11:53 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

R U sure these were off an 06 STi.
Isn't the PCD different to a Classic ?
Old 11 August 2006, 06:07 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Nice one - I got as far as making the brackets out of wood (easy material to use as a template) but didn't get around to having them produced in alloy, I just haven't had the time to get around to it!

If you intend to sell the handbrake spacers (would prefer steel though) and brackets as a kit in future please let me know.

Quick Reply: fitting my rear brembos on my classic