Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie saying hi and asking questions.

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2013, 07:36 PM
Maty j
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie saying hi and asking questions.

Hi all,
I've been lurking awhile now so thought best introduce myself. I'm Matty. Currently drive a modded R26 Megane.

Love the care but think It's time for something new and I fancy 4wd. I've looked at ... errrmm .... the other 4wd saloon option but really fancying a scoob. Sooo, a few questions,

I'm looking at the later 2.0 models - 05-06 which is version 8? Correct me if i'm wrong at all as I'm still learning. It seems the widetrack is the one to go for - why is this? I like the idea of the DCCD, being able to play about with it even if it'll spend most of the time on one setting. Can I switch most of the power to the rear If I fanncy some fun?

The PPP - what does this give besides more power? My megane is 300bhp and pretty nippy so I have been looking at PPP cars although I guess I could add a few mods on a normal STI to get abit more power.

Lastly (for now anyway ) is there any common faults or things to take a good look at when inspecting any potential purchases? What are the major servicing costs and when are they due? I've noticed some cars advertised state the cambelt has been done yet others don't.

Thanks all,
Matty.
Old 17 April 2013, 08:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Stick with the Megane: better handling, same power to weight ratio, better fuel consumption, less drivetrain losses, more toys and not a chav-mobile.
Old 17 April 2013, 10:53 PM
Maty j
Scooby Newbie

Fuel consumption - I'm not so sure. I'm only seeing a little over 20 day to day driving and around 30 on a run. 35 on a run at a push but that is leaving it in 6th and doing 65! When spanking it on track I can see single figures and usually get through £120+ fuel a day and drive home with the petrol light on.

Saying that, I have had a play with a few scoobs. I'm not sure what model they were as I only saw them in my RVM but surely there wouldn't be much in it with a sorted sti - point to point? The drive train losses and extra weight of the scoob have got me wondering how much power I'd need for it to be as quick tho. I like the suprise factor of the meg and having an extra 80hp over standard it suprises alot of people where as scoobs are renowned for being fast.
Old 18 April 2013, 07:41 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

dont expect fuel consumption in a modded scoob to be near that of your megane
Old 18 April 2013, 07:51 AM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Stick with the Megane: better handling, same power to weight ratio, better fuel consumption, less drivetrain losses, more toys and not a chav-mobile.
+1

Only real upside of the Scoob over your Megane is the AWD.
Old 18 April 2013, 10:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Exactly.

My eldest drives a Clio 197 Sport, I have a hard time losing him on even twisty roads with 400+ on my classic.......maybe I'm too old for mucking about.

But as for toys on the Renault......wins hands down.
Old 22 April 2013, 09:48 PM
Maty j
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm, think I'll have a good think about it. My megs being a total bitch and I'd finally had enough and thought getting rid would be the best option. Think I'll fix it up (once again!) and take it from there. I've lost the trump card atm - the handling! After a new rack, tie rods and track rod ends it's still not sorted so it'll need more money thrown at it

I see what you mean tho and it's nice to have some unbiased opinions. The meg is a great car and with the mods it goes well but it's just always fecking breaking! Guess it's my own fault for buying French tho
Old 22 April 2013, 11:01 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Aye, my Clio 200 cup had very little in it to go wrong but the air con packed in and it had a thermostat problem. And it rattled! Also had an alarming appetite for front tyres and was a thirsty bugger, got 27mpg. I got 25mpg out of my 05 blob PPP.

Nice car the Megane but I'd have a PPP STi over one, they're generally very reliable and it's easy to get the power down. You would need to spend to get similar steering feel but you'll have better traction and outright grip in the Subaru.

The STi hatch is also a good car to consider if you don't mind taking a small gamble on popping the engine. It is a similar size and shape to the Megane.
Old 22 April 2013, 11:20 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
lmao - think it could be time for you to sell up pal!