Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Is there a case for Newbie section?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2001, 07:58 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Webbie, et all, I know there are quite a few forums, but is it worthwhile having a newbie section where people won't feel silly asking 'newbie' questions, like 'what's the bright switch for?' and won't feel too daunted by posting for the first time?

I certainly remember wondering whether my first post was going to be my last depending on the responses!

It would further lessen the burden on the General Questions forum at least.

Fosters
Old 02 July 2001, 08:01 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good idea Fosters, I thought about this a while ago too so can I be moderator please Webby???

Sal

Old 02 July 2001, 08:01 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

sounds like a good idea, need a moderator webby
Old 02 July 2001, 08:02 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

damn beaten to it
Old 02 July 2001, 08:03 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hehehehe....and by a girl too Chris
Old 02 July 2001, 08:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

keyboard lag, must get it remapped as someone keeps moving all the keys around

We posted at the same time "8.01" just ladies first, great minds think a like though
Old 02 July 2001, 08:09 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Scoobychick, can't think of a better moderator!

Old 02 July 2001, 09:59 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Go Sally, go Sally

Bob
Old 02 July 2001, 10:55 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Question

Is that so you can vet the talent as it arrives then Scoobychick?

All newbie postings to be accompanied by a photo??
Old 02 July 2001, 11:27 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Good idea,but wouldnt it create an *us and them* forum?If the forum *works* then thick newbies ie me,should feel ok to ask simple questions,imho.
Old 02 July 2001, 11:28 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

On a similar subject, what about some sort of Scoobynet "Knowledge Base"? I know there's the SIDC FAQs but what I'm thinking of is similar to the original suggestion but would try and incorporate postings from Scoobynet. For example, I'm just about to fit Eibachs and did a quick search on Scoobynet; whilst it does turn up info it takes a while to sift through the general chat and banter that goes on every thread (always a good thing!).
What I'm suggesting would be a searchable "database"; for example, under the heading "Suspension" you could have clickable sub headings like "Eibachs", "Bumpsteer" etc etc. Under each of those subheadings one could list opinions of people that have had them fitted taken from Scoobynet postings along, perhaps, with their email address. Someone then considering getting a mod could search the database, check out the opinions and then maybe mail individuals with direct questions.

I appreciate that such a project would require huge amounts of work to sift through all the scoobynet posts and as such probably isn't feasible. At the same time there is a lot of "corporate" knowledge here that needs to be passed on to new Scooby owners or Scoobynetters; people just get annoyed with answering the same old "Is the bumpsteer mod any good" or the "what does the Bright button do?" type questions.
As I say, there's a lot of knowledge here (and inordinate amounts of personal opinion) that goes untapped once a thread has moved off the first couple of pages of the General Forum.......

Hmmmm...
Old 03 July 2001, 12:13 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

What do you think then Simon? Why doesn't Webbie spend 24hrs a day on this BBS
Old 03 July 2001, 12:43 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

totally agree there are lots of questions i still want to ask but dont want to burden the general forum with
For instance its all very well looking at faqs for model types but i still find it very confusing distinguishing a 22b from an imported sti photos would definitely help
Old 03 July 2001, 08:56 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Question

Sounds like a good idea, there is a mass of knowledge amongst the users of this site. A lot of people are particularly up to speed on mechanical issues etc and can be most helpfull. How about a Scooby Novices forum where anyone can post their questions without fear of embarrasment, including regulars who love Scoobys but dont know so much technically?????

[This message has been edited by Disco (edited 03 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 09:46 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

SimonH,

I think that is a great idea.

I dont think sidc faq goes into the ins and outs of peoples experiences with mods.

People like chiark are great as such things, each time he fits something, he produces comprehensive guides. Perhaps this kind of thing for all mods would be a great idea.

Even if all the info isnt hosted here, perhaps a subdivided directory page indicating a breakdown of the car (perhaps by a diagram and a list) with a point and click link arrangement, eg turbo, exhaust, ecu, suspension.

Think it would be very helpful to newbies.
Old 03 July 2001, 10:08 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a very good idea, only been on here a few months a did feel a bit of a **** posting some of the things i asked, if there was a place where new comers could go without feeling they were asking silly questions I'm sure it would add to the enhancement of the BBS and be good for us all.

Cheers

Greg

who now knows slightly more about cars than he did 3 months ago

Old 03 July 2001, 11:47 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by millband:
<B>Is that so you can vet the talent as it arrives then Scoobychick?

All newbie postings to be accompanied by a photo?? [/quote]

Millband.....I am a happily 'married' woman, of course not

Sal

Old 03 July 2001, 11:54 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Question

It doesn't seem worth starting a new thread for this, so I thought I'd hijack this one.

Could we make the post reply text box wider? It's usually about half the width of the available space. Just makes reading before posting a bit easier.
Old 03 July 2001, 02:49 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Like I said, it would be a fairly huge undertaking and quite who would do it I don't know!
Old 03 July 2001, 07:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Suprising how many questions I get by email purely by having an impreza website with just car photos and meets.

People see the pictures and want to know about spoilers, models, exhausts etc.

Example : I had a guy recently who said he liked what I had done to my new age impreza. This confused me until I realized he meant a picture of Pete C's I had taken at Donington. He wanted prices for bits and pieces on Pete's car so told him to contact scoobysport and gave him there website address. I have had loads of newbies to the impreza world asking the same questions. I dont mind answering questions and also point them in the direction of the BBS and the SIDC site.

I think if I was new to impreza ownership I would be a bit scared to post and there is a lot of jargon we take for granted which people feel silly to ask about if everyone is using it .

Newbie section would be good and I for one would answer questions and try and help out. Dont know if the software will allow it but maybe we could solved a few problems with trolls as well by only allowing members to post in all forums and newbies can only post in the newbie forum until they are a member .

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 03 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 08:31 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

they always say the simplest ideas are best and a newbie site does sound good
i am no techie but what simonh suggests sounds very good. I am hopeless at finding old postings and i would guess a lot of questions are asked over and over eg ppp,painting skirts,polish,exhausts. Morrettes! etc.it would de clutter the main board.
so i'm wiv u simonh.
ps i too felt a bit of a **** when i first posted. i have learnt an aweful lot off the board since so FAQ's would have helped ease me in as it were.And convinced me to buy a bugzilla.
Old 03 July 2001, 08:40 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Why not go stage further with the collation oftechnical info.
It is difficult to be online whilst sorting out the car on a ramp, so go for a "super Haynes" manual, or alternatively a Subaru manual, but without the cost.
Has this been discussed before? and is there any mileage in Subaru gurus writing such a technical novel - or would it reduce their income somewhat!

Nick