Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of the EBC yellow brake pads on a 2008 Sti hatchback.

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2022, 10:10 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default My review of the EBC yellow brake pads on a 2008 Sti hatchback.

I was given some EBC yellow brake pads to test out on my car so thanks to EBC for sending them to me, my car is a modified 2008 Sti hatchback which has standard brembo calipers for the time being and standard discs. On the car previously ironically, and by pure coincedednce it had EBC red pads which were fitted by the previous owner. The EBC red pads from what i noticed straight away seem to need a lot of heat into them to get them feeling responsive, they can feel quite spongy when you don't have any heat in them so i'd say they are a more track focused pad, for normal day to day driving with the occasional bit of spirited driving i wouldn't say that the EBC red would be suitable for a daily driver where you don't get a lot of temp into the brakes and your just doing normal driving as they will feel quite spongy from my experience. The pads on the car that the previous owner handed to me had barely been used and were in very good shape, one positive with the EBC red though is they produce very little brake dust, that's something i noticed from cleaning my car on a regular basis.

Now onto the EBC yellow pads which i've had a chance to test out, they were fitted for me and bedded in at Richard Henry Motorsport while my car was in having a few other things done. Even though they were bedded in i carried on the bedding in procedure for a while to get them as perfect as they can be, on my drive home from West Yorkshire with the new pads fitted, and after a bit more bedding in i noticed straight away when i came off the motorway near to my home that the brakes felt far more responsive. They seemed to bite a lot quicker and better, their was none of that spongy feel so they gave you confidence. Anyway a couple of days later i went for a run down the A49 past Oulton Park which is a great road as it has a combination of long straights and a lot of twisties, i gave the brakes a proper test.

After i'd finished bedding them in tested the pads out at various speeds, and of course all this was done within the legal speed limits. My overall impressions of the EBC Yellow pads is they are a very good all round brake pad that will suit someone that uses their car as a daily but likes some occasional spirited driving, I'd say the bite on the pads is controlled under normal braking rather than being over sharp, but if the need calls they will bite hard and will stop you quickly if you want them too. What i liked about them is that controlled braking feel, it doesn't take you long to get used to them, on the twisties they felt great as you could scrub off a al little bit of speed if need be without the feeling that will bite too hard, but when you want them to bite hard they will, it feels like you have good controll of them. Whilst the road was pretty clear and quiet at the time, and when i was on a long straight part of road i did a few stops from speed, again all within the legal speed limit and they really did take the speed off in a nice controlled way, not over aggressive but they felt sharp and controlled.

In summary the EBC Yellow work far better than the EBC reds do for a normal daily driver where you also like to do the occosional bit of spirited driving, the reds seem to need more heat to work effectively where as the yellow pads work pretty much straight away once they've been bedded in. When i got back i checked for brake dust before i washed the car, their is a little bit of brake dust from the yellows but i wouldn't say it's excessive, i've certainly used pads that produce far more brake dust than the Yellows. They are a very good pad imo especially considering i'm currently on a standard disc and Brembo brake caliper set up, i'm sure with an uprated caliper and disc setup they will be even better. I was pleasently surprised by them, the braking feels controlled with them and they will bite hard when you need them too with very little brake dust after a good run out.

I'm not being paid for this review and i don't know anyone at EBC personally, they gave me some pads to test out, if i'd felt as though they didn't work for me and i didn't like them i would have said here and i would have taken them off the car and replaced them. I genuinley like them though, they will definitely be staying on the car.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 22 October 2022 at 10:25 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by The Joshua Tree:
Old 22 October 2022, 12:53 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice review Rob, I had EBC yellows in my Abarth's Brembo 4-pots and found them great, too.
The following 2 users liked this post by fpan:
Old 22 October 2022, 03:21 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i got a set of yellows on my Fsti brembo brakes , a big thumbs up work really well , i put them on my 600 bhp gtr as the brakes were not good and spongy , an instant improvement , i don’t work for ebc and had used them before and they were ok , they have gone from ok to very good now , the yellows have a lot more bite than before , as above a sensible long ish bedding in time helps a lot , and a sensible price 👍
The following 2 users liked this post by Vxr2010:
Old 24 October 2022, 05:49 PM
EBC Brakes UK
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

thank you @The Joshua Tree for your feedback, I'm glad you are enjoying the performance of the Yellows and from the sound of it you have bedded them properly, which is often vital for their performance to be maximised. It's good to hear the dust wasnt too bad on Yellows, reds are our lowest dust pad so there is going to be a noticeable difference between them still.

I will note, the Redstuff although better at warmer temps are not a track pad and not recommended for track, but their best performance is for heavier cars where they naturally feel less spongy, on a light hatchback it has been noted they feel better at high temps I do agree.

I hope you continue to enjoy them, and once again thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 25 October 2022, 11:27 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm about to fit new front pads, although not EBC.
Generally, what's the best bedding in procedure? My discs aren't being replaced, and have a small average lip on them.....
2007 STi Hawk.

Old 26 October 2022, 12:50 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

EBC Yellowstuff Bed-in Procedure

• Fast Street use Pre Bed Fade 1 – drive 50 to 100 miles on Public road/highway normal driving to allow the pads to mate up to the disc and establish full contact followed by 8 stops from 80 mph to 30 mph at 300-yard intervals and then coasting allowing the brakes to cool.👍
Old 26 October 2022, 06:02 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Cool, thanks vxr.
Old 26 October 2022, 06:48 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Manufacturers dont have the same procedures as some pads are pre heat treated whilst many are not. Different materials are also used, so best to check your specific manufacturer's routine rather than ask on a forum, especially where brakes are concerned.
The following 3 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 26 October 2022, 11:15 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've ran the RPX EBC pads also and they're brilliant in all conditions but are dusty.
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 October 2022, 01:57 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
I've ran the RPX EBC pads also and they're brilliant in all conditions but are dusty.
Same here ,free RPX set from Ebc, dusty but works from cold ,only issue i have dust killed lacquer on my new rotas ,even ceramic coat did not help to prevent it

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 26 October 2022 at 01:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JdmSti2006:
Old 26 October 2022, 03:34 PM
EBC Brakes UK
Scooby Regular

@Hawkeye D we have a full bedding procedure for our pads, found at this link, I would advise reaching out to whichever brake company you went with as it may differ but you can use this as a guide. Also it is recommended if not replacing rotors to have the surface skimmed, or 'turned', on a Pro Cut Lathe which will smooth the surface. This will prevent unwanted noise and speed up the bedding process. Make sure you have enough life left on the rotor, otherwise it would be wise to just replace them.
Old 26 October 2022, 03:38 PM
EBC Brakes UK
Scooby Regular

I appreciate all your feedback and am glad to hear the PRX are working well, although they are inherently dusty as they are a high performance race pad this is the price to pay for great braking ability.
The following 2 users liked this post by EBC Brakes UK:
Old 28 October 2022, 02:40 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Rotors?

Come on man we're in the UK now

Originally Posted by EBC Brakes UK
@Hawkeye D we have a full bedding procedure for our pads, found at this link, I would advise reaching out to whichever brake company you went with as it may differ but you can use this as a guide. Also it is recommended if not replacing rotors to have the surface skimmed, or 'turned', on a Pro Cut Lathe which will smooth the surface. This will prevent unwanted noise and speed up the bedding process. Make sure you have enough life left on the rotor, otherwise it would be wise to just replace them.
Old 28 October 2022, 04:29 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Rotors?

Come on man we're in the UK now

Old 28 October 2022, 04:36 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Come on , those rotors won’t fit on your car 😂😂😂 i said rolling road on an Aussi site once and got the P… taken 👍😁😂
Old 28 October 2022, 06:35 PM
EBC Brakes UK
Scooby Regular

lol sorry, discs... although I am English i work predominantly with the USA market and have adopted a few Americanism's... It's still a boot and a bonnet though, don't worry