Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange brake story

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2004, 08:17 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange brake story

Today, when driving on the highway, my car started suddenly to pull to the right when braking.
So I immediately returned to the dealer to let him check the brakes.
After an hour, cleaning, bleeding, sanding the pads and so we did a test drive and in the beginning, it still pulls to the right but after a few miles,a nd a heavy workout, it returned to normal.
I must say that my pads squeel enormously (FerodoDS 2500) even with the slightest touch on the pedal at very low speeds.
The salesman of the pads thinks that my set is not very DS2500 buit more a racing DS3000 as I told him about the squeeling and also that the pads had the look of "toasted bread" when checking.

Please put some comments here because I really I'm worried now about the safety and the squeeling comes out of my ears now....

Creepy
Old 05 March 2004, 06:54 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Has that Stoptech guy some usefull info about this ???

Creepy
Old 06 March 2004, 09:50 AM
StopTech
Scooby Newbie

Hey, I'm touched that you asked for me specifically!

This may not be very helpful, but... You obviously have something that is either creating too much drag on one side of your car or something that is not creating as much drag as it should on the other side of your car. Pulling could be attributed to brakes, but you would likely have other brake related issues such as dragging brakes or something. It could also be suspension related, either something bent or loose (worn out). You need someone who can physically look at all the parts to help you troubleshoot this one. Depending on how old your car is or if you race, it may also be that a caliper rebuid is in order. Did they check that your piston dust boot are in tact? Dust boots will burn up with hard racing. (this is why race-only calipers do not come with dust boots) If your dust boots are gone, then dirt and little rocks can get into your piston bores. Again... may not be this... is just one more thing to look at. A shop should be asking you specific questions like... Does it pull all the time? At high speed or low speed or both? Heavy or light pedal effort? Of course, it sounds like it only happened once and then went away.

Squeeling performance pads are most likely a completely separate issue from the veering. We find that performance pads tend to squeel more if they are only driven around town. Sometimes you can run through a series of hard stops and it will go away for awhile. What's strange... You can put the same pad compound on two different cars... one squeels and one doesn't. You may want to try running through a complete bedding-in procedure if you have not does this. It may help.

Good luck.
Old 06 March 2004, 03:39 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stoptech, that is really helpfull info.

I mst add that the "pulling" has only occured once, after we checked the whole system, it never happened again. I have AP 330-30 discs (two piece items) with "modified" Wilwood calipers WITHOUT dust seals as I use my car only in the weekends and for track days.
Seizing of a piston is not an option because this set is only two moths old.
The calipers are HARD anodised and completely modified with an extra "bridge" to make them more stiff.

What I do found was that one one side, the disc was more rusty, so the pads had not completely worked, the pads also look like "toast" so maybe they're real race pads, not fast road.

I spoke with the designer of this brake kit and he send me a new set of DS2500 pads.
I also noticed that the squeeling stopped when it's raining. One side is squeeling more than the other, and that changes when we changed the pads from left to right so it is defentitely a pad-problem.

As soon as I changed the pads I will put an update here.

What the squeeling concerns : The pads only make noise on low speed, when pushing hard, the squeeling is gone but it's immediately back when they cool off...

Creepy

Last edited by Creepy; 06 March 2004 at 03:40 PM.