Notices

09 Hatch STi key programming door unlock

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2020, 03:37 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 09 Hatch STi key programming door unlock

Hi all, recently bought a hatch STi. It has three keys (one OEM and two after market). All three will open the drivers door but no other door when pressing the buttons. Well, not quite accurate. You hear all the doors unlock and then lock again apart from the drivers door. If you are quick and time it right you can open one of the other doors if you catch it right. So, the doors actually unlock and lock again... Odd.

I took the car to the dealers for some recalls and asked them to take a look. They said it looks as though someone has intentionally configured the alarm to do this. (since found out the previous owner was supposedly an auto locksmith) To revert it to stock would probably be getting on for £400/£500.. So, I told them to leave it as I can live with it.
You can unlock the drivers door then press the button on the door card to unlock the other doors and boot. This is a faff if you have your hands full though.

I have the keypad and done some research but I cannot find an easy fix for this odd behaviour. I do also have a tactrix cable but cannot see any means to use that for programming the alarm.

Any alarm experts out there? Thanks,
Old 24 August 2020, 03:56 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

To confirm is your hatch keyless? if so you have to press the OEM unlock button twice to open all doors as standard.
Old 24 August 2020, 04:04 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

no, has a key (ignition switch). Pressing once unlocks drivers door. second press does nothing (same on all three keys). The dealer said it was odd behaviour and agreed you can hear the other doors unlock and lock again. Thanks for reply
Old 24 August 2020, 07:26 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

You will probably find it is how the Sigma S32/34 alarm system is setup for MY09 onwards "selective unlock" option.
Your Subaru alarm manual/handbook should have a description of how it works, the manual for the Keyless access (smartcard) does.
Model S32 fitted to keyless access cars, not sure what's fitted to keyless entry versions (S32 or S34 ??)

UPDATE:

Although the "selective lock" option is mentioned in the Subaru Sigma alarm manual, having looked at the Body Intregrated Unit (BIU) customization page of the workshop manual, it would appear that as UK cars have the "double locking" function, it may not be possible to alter the configuration to unlock all doors.

Subaru Select Monitor screen capture

Looking at the options available

MY08 model doesn't appear to have the Driver only/ALL option.

If JDM it's possible.

Last edited by Don Clark; 24 August 2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 25 August 2020, 09:27 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the above. EDM spec car according to the ECU code.

The manual I have lists both the 'without selective unlock' and 'with selective unlock'. Looking at the description it seems clear mine should have the selective unlock.

without:
Press remote button once and all doors and tailgate will unlock. (clearly not mine)

With:
Press remote button once. Drivers door will unlock. remaining doors and tailgate will immediately unlock then single lock.
To unlock remaining doors and tailgate press button a second time as soon as the indicators/hazard lights extinguish.

I'm sure I've tried this multiple times. Do you need to be really precise on timing or something?
Thanks,
Old 25 August 2020, 10:07 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

In ten years have never really used/tried this function as mine is a smartcard keyless access saloon and very seldom use the smartcard fob to lock/unlock the vehicle.
Even then it's a simple move to unlock the remaining doors using the switch on the door arm rest.

Maybe @Rusti can help re: timings??
Old 25 August 2020, 10:50 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Certainly with my car the keyless fob requires one press to open drivers door (unless you use the button on the handle) or two presses in quick succession to open all doors. I tend press the button, wait to hear the unlock then press again.

That reminds me I only have one fob still, must order another
Old 26 August 2020, 01:39 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
Certainly with my car the keyless fob requires one press to open drivers door (unless you use the button on the handle) or two presses in quick succession to open all doors. I tend press the button, wait to hear the unlock then press again.

That reminds me I only have one fob still, must order another
yep, I've tried that. cannot get it to work. oh well, I'll just have to live with it then I guess.
Thanks anyway,
Old 26 August 2020, 02:02 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
yep, I've tried that. cannot get it to work. oh well, I'll just have to live with it then I guess.
Thanks anyway,
just to confirm,
When I drove my car this morning I made the point of using the smartcard fob to unlock it.
As soon as the locks had finished their first unlock/lock sequence I pressed the button again and the other thee doors unlocked again.
Old 26 August 2020, 02:40 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
just to confirm,
When I drove my car this morning I made the point of using the smartcard fob to unlock it.
As soon as the locks had finished their first unlock/lock sequence I pressed the button again and the other thee doors unlocked again.
Lol.. determined to get to the bottom of this?
I don't have a smartcard fob. I'll try to explain in as much detail as I can on what I do have.
I have the generic Subaru single button key and two aftermarket keys.

Aftermarket keys: Both of the aftermarket keys have three buttons. lock, unlock and boot. lock/unlock both perform the same function as far as I can tell. car locks and unlocks drivers door using either button. Boot button appears to do nothing at all.
Subaru Key: single button (looks basically identical to my old hawkeye key)
pressing buttons in any variation of ways does nothing but unlock and lock the drivers door.

While googling pictures I have just found the exact keys and the lanyards mine came with on a FaceBook page "Subaru replacement Key services UK". I've just sent them a message to see if they are able to help at all.

Last edited by FuZzBoM; 26 August 2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 26 August 2020, 03:11 PM
TheOriginalAquapanther
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same issue:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...oor-issue.html
Old 26 August 2020, 03:54 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheOriginalAquapanther
Welcome to the club! (well, you were in the club before me it seems)
Would be good to get to the bottom of it. As even the dealer said it wasn't right.. All three keys makes me think it has either been programmed like this or some sort of fault.
Old 26 August 2020, 04:23 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheOriginalAquapanther
That brought back a few memories
I was about to ask @FuZzBoM which version of the "S" series alarm is fitted to the Key operated Hatch - there could be a label with version (S30/S32/S34) above the VIN plate on the LH "B" pillar.

Old 26 August 2020, 04:50 PM
TheOriginalAquapanther
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH after Don replied to me a few years back I just didn't bother my **** looking at it.

Still have the car and just open the other doors via the drivers door console
Old 26 August 2020, 07:48 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

That brought back a few memories
I was about to ask @FuZzBoM which version of the "S" series alarm is fitted to the Key operated Hatch - there could be a label with version (S30/S32/S34) above the VIN plate on the LH "B" pillar.
the Keypad says 'Sigma' but I cannot see any stickers to indicate what version on either B pillar. Only thing similar is a sticker in the glovebox that has S06 but I doubt that is releated.
Does the serial number on the pin code sticker give this away at all? starts 020301069 (thinking the 30 part could be related)
Old 26 August 2020, 08:34 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

The 020301069 part, I believe, is just the product code followed by a serial number, the S32 version fitted to the smartcard models begins with 020301021.

I supect yours is the S34 version which is "supplied" with two radio fobs ( In Subaru's case, 2 single button key conversions) and what I alluded to in the previous thread stands true and the sigma alarm functions as the keyless entry module supplying a signal to the BIU to unlock/lock the doors - similar to earlier models but using the M30 alarm. The difference between model years with various BIU customisation options being why some say all doors open (MY08) and others the drivers door only (MY09 onwards which arrived in the country mid to late 2008)

The S32 alarm version, fitted to the keyless access/push button start models is just an addon to the existing system due to the complexity of the keyless access system and it is the BIU (different part numbers to the "key" versions) that sends signals to the alarm unit to activate/deactivate when it (the BIU) initiates lock/unlock.

This would also make sense how Muzza80 (Subaru replacement key service) can supply replacement keys (cloned transponder to satisfy ECU immobiliser requirements?) with no need to see the car, just an "original key", which means the replacements only need to be paired to the alarm when received.

As even the dealer said it wasn't right
Out of interest who did you speak to at the dealers??

Old 27 August 2020, 09:12 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I believe the person in my local dealer (Aylesbury) was the service manager. He and one of the salesmen said it didn't seem right.
It's not the end of the world I know. Just a little annoying is all. If nothing can be done I guess I’ll just have to live with it.
Old 27 August 2020, 10:13 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

I believe the person in my local dealer (Aylesbury) was the service manager. He and one of the salesmen said it didn't seem right.
It's not the end of the world I know. Just a little annoying is all. If nothing can be done I guess I’ll just have to live with it.
I kow them all very well - also my local dealer for the past 23 years...............

Last edited by Don Clark; 27 August 2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 27 August 2020, 10:42 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

I kow them all very well - also my local dealer for the past 23 years...............
All seem very nice there. I took my Hawk to them as well. Took them four days to do the various recalls on my hatch when I got it so not the quickest lol.. But can't fault their customer service.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Seems an odd way to configure the central locking to me.. But, I'll just live with it.
Old 07 September 2020, 09:18 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If your pressing the button on the Subaru key once and it only unlocks the drivers door and the other3 and boot remain locked this is how the sigma was configured at import. If you press the unlock button once and then within 2 seconds press the unlock button again it should unlock the remaining 3 and boot.
This can be modified and its not done by programming. The wiring on the alarm ecu needs swapping about. to make it unlock everything on one button press. Providing the vehicle doesn't have smart entry with push button start as that cannot be changed
Old 08 September 2020, 01:25 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
This can be modified and its not done by programming. The wiring on the alarm ecu needs swapping about. to make it unlock everything on one button press. Providing the vehicle doesn't have smart entry with push button start as that cannot be changed
That's interesting. Anyone know where I could get the installation manual? Would be interesting to see how it's done and if it can be changed
Old 08 September 2020, 09:44 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

I'll look out the special service instructions tomorrow for you. as I've just converted on in the last two weeks
Old 09 September 2020, 09:34 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
I'll look out the special service instructions tomorrow for you. as I've just converted on in the last two weeks
nice one, thank you!
Old 11 September 2020, 07:38 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

nice one, thank you!
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0IO2...Wi2Dh8TDBARljg

this link will be valid until the 11the October. It’s the extract from the service bulletin.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09 July 2021, 01:30 PM
rpsxr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi,
Any chance you could give that another share?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11 July 2021, 10:57 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is This what you're looking for
Old 11 July 2021, 11:00 AM
rpsxr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid