Notices

Impreza coolant mod

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2021, 10:53 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Impreza coolant mod

Has anyone used these kits before? Are they worth using? As thinking of one for my classic.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-Raci...tomid=48112866

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274704324...sAAOSwr9RgPnfh
Old 06 July 2021, 08:09 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

waste of time........
Old 06 July 2021, 11:53 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Really? What makes you say that?
Old 06 July 2021, 12:13 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
he do not sell it-earn on it thats why
Old 06 July 2021, 12:26 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Can't believe this was a year ago now Thought this was a few months back

https://www.scoobynet.com/1061934-4t...ispreloading=1
The following users liked this post:
Old 06 July 2021, 12:58 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
simply because on the whole it adds nothing to the car and potentially causes more issues than it solves as well as most kits appearing to be fairly poorly researched / tested..........

The following 2 users liked this post by stockcar:
Old 06 July 2021, 04:01 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
he do not sell it-earn on it thats why
I’m sure if Alyn wanted to sell a kit it’d be very easy and quick for him to make something up.
Old 07 July 2021, 01:29 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Cheers after reading through that thread, it seems no good. Removing water from cylinder 4 and putting it straight back in the engine without cooking it first, doesn't sound good. Don't know if it works help with 2.5 engine.

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Can't believe this was a year ago now Thought this was a few months back

https://www.scoobynet.com/1061934-4t...ispreloading=1
Old 07 July 2021, 09:54 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
I’m sure if Alyn wanted to sell a kit it’d be very easy and quick for him to make something up.
Agreed and I'm sure if Alyn thought there was any benefit he would of fabricated a kit.
Old 07 July 2021, 12:08 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

It seems strange that Fuji are producing one as they are ICP by all accounts who are pretty clued up on Scoobs?
Old 07 July 2021, 12:34 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
It seems strange that Fuji are producing one as they are ICP by all accounts who are pretty clued up on Scoobs?
The difference is Alyn builds engine and sees them up close while ICP sells a variety of things so don't really get up close to the engine blocks in the same way. The market trend was this new mod and in theory 4th cylinder runs hot so lets add more cooling to it. They would be mad not to jump on it and make a kit they can easily sell. Now it seems the original designers of the kit have over looked some factors that weren't part of the theory.

Another way to look at it is you have a 1000bhp turbo so in theory the car should make just that. But what was missed was if the internals are built for it. An oversimplification I know but you get the idea.

Thats my understanding of it
Old 07 July 2021, 01:32 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

The difference is Alyn builds engine and sees them up close while ICP sells a variety of things so don't really get up close to the engine blocks in the same way. The market trend was this new mod and in theory 4th cylinder runs hot so lets add more cooling to it. They would be mad not to jump on it and make a kit they can easily sell. Now it seems the original designers of the kit have over looked some factors that weren't part of the theory.

Another way to look at it is you have a 1000bhp turbo so in theory the car should make just that. But what was missed was if the internals are built for it. An oversimplification I know but you get the idea.

Thats my understanding of it
RCM also offer a kit and they do build engines. The real tell would be wether they actually use it on their own cars or not. I was seriously considering doing this mod but I’ve now decided I want to see some actual evidence it does what it says it does before doing it.
Old 07 July 2021, 01:44 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
RCM also offer a kit and they do build engines. The real tell would be wether they actually use it on their own cars or not. I was seriously considering doing this mod but I’ve now decided I want to see some actual evidence it does what it says it does before doing it.
I must have missed that

On one side you have Alyn and also John who are very into the technical. Then on the other side is RCM who again are into the technical but also mass market (RCM tax lol). I honestly don't know the answer which is why I've not commented on the technical side of it. With RCM being as big as it is I wonder if someone from the sales team has picked it up. A lot of their stuff is made by 3rd parties who brand it for them. Headers is one that comes to mind although they are a worthwhile upgrade. 3rd party/supplier they use says this is new would you like a batch with the usual trimmings. This is all speculation on my part.
Old 07 July 2021, 01:48 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

@stockcar @johnfelstead sorry to bring you into this but is there any chance you could go into more detail on exactly what this mod does. Is it bypassing a certain passage causing it to be starved of cooling, is it missing a sensor out that needs a specific reading etc.

I know form the adverts essentially its a cooling mod. But based on what you have said it isn't doing that. Why is it not
Old 07 July 2021, 02:39 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

@stockcar @johnfelstead sorry to bring you into this but is there any chance you could go into more detail on exactly what this mod does. Is it bypassing a certain passage causing it to be starved of cooling, is it missing a sensor out that needs a specific reading etc.

I know form the adverts essentially its a cooling mod. But based on what you have said it isn't doing that. Why is it not
Your link in post 5 is all you need to read.
Old 07 July 2021, 03:06 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yes only worked this out not long ago when I bought something off the Fuji website and the the payment went to ICP.

Looks like there moving away from OEM stuff even on there website, and making aftermarket parts.

Guess more money in it.

Originally Posted by Rusti
Old 11 July 2021, 03:40 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

One thing that has always bothered me, and I’d happily be corrected if I’m wrong, is that Subaru located the knock sensor by cylinder four as they knew this was the cylinder that would run the hottest and most likely see detonation before the others. If you install the cylinder mod, this will then stabilise the temperatures by reducing cylinder four temps. If this is the case, the ECU could be monitoring knock on cylinder four and not seeing knock in the other three cylinders that are now effectively running as hot (and possibly hotter).

Like I said, happy to see any direct feedback on this.
Old 11 July 2021, 05:42 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danjo
One thing that has always bothered me, and I’d happily be corrected if I’m wrong, is that Subaru located the knock sensor by cylinder four as they knew this was the cylinder that would run the hottest and most likely see detonation before the others. If you install the cylinder mod, this will then stabilise the temperatures by reducing cylinder four temps. If this is the case, the ECU could be monitoring knock on cylinder four and not seeing knock in the other three cylinders that are now effectively running as hot (and possibly hotter).

Like I said, happy to see any direct feedback on this.
That is 100% correct that's the way it was designed so leave it alone.
Old 11 July 2021, 08:51 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

In theory equalising the temps is a good thing.

Tuner can still tune to det threshold then dial back for safety.

I know for a fact that ICP did carefully check the effect of their kit.

TBH this has been done to death and I thought it was generally accepted by now that there are advantages.
Old 11 July 2021, 10:06 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by matt-c

TBH this has been done to death and I thought it was generally accepted by now that there are advantages.
Guessing you've got one? Sorry had to ask?
Old 12 July 2021, 07:55 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by matt-c

I certainly agree that equalising temps is a good thing, and I’m open to the idea if I can see proven positives, but it just niggles me that Subaru recognised the issue with the 4th cylinder and designed knock control based off this. Removing cylinder 4 as the weak link could promote undetected knock on other cylinders, potentially. I want to believe that it works, but I’ve yet to see any “actual” data other than speculation.
Old 12 July 2021, 08:02 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Guessing you've got one? Sorry had to ask?
Yes, of course.

New engine has it on there, also has KillerB stat housing. Cooling is much better, but i cannot really be sure it's anything to do with that as i also fitted Spal fans before summer.

It's one of those mods that folks will argue about, but also one of those which at fast road level I suspect has minimal impact, but it's cheap to do and i was in the market for cooling improvements.