Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Movit

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 01:35 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kinda hooked on the idea of these Brakes now... has anyone had any experience with them on Subaru's?

check out...
http://www.movit.de

and

http://www.ultimategarage.com/bigbrake1.html

cool or what...
M
Old 08 January 2002, 02:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

might as well comment! I too am seriously considering this setup, yes, I am being serious. it's a little different from the AP's, Brembos and other systems other people have.

no doubt scoobymike will post on this thread as well.

As far as I know, i don't know anyone in the UK with the system fitted to a scooby, certainly I've not seen anyone post on here, or 22b about it. I've asked Richard @ Jas Traction if they've fitted it to scoobs, just to see if there are people out there with it in the UK.

Scoobymike has said that a few swiss (and german?) guys run the kit, and some of those guys are nutters, as in farily moddified cars, so the kit must be pretty good.

My thinking is that I get the kit, then have some fun with it, report back, get some of those interested to come and have a look in the metal, then maybe, if there is enough interest ask richard about the posibility of a group buy? that sound like some kind of plan?

would be nice if I was one of the only people in the UK with the setup not vain am I!
Old 08 January 2002, 02:48 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi mates

loads of German and Swiss owner run these brakes. I run it on my EVO. Best investment I've ever made on the car. Unfortunately Frank M from the German Scooby club doesn't post his experiences. He runs a kit on his Scoob.
BTW group buys from 10 sets on are possible.
Have you ever heard a Porker driver complaining about his brakes? If you read all the tests of Porkers one thing is mentioned everywhere: strong, reliable brakes.
The Movit banner really sums it up: low maintenance/high performance brake kits for road and track.

To find customer reports from all over the world just do a search with www.google.com for "movit brakes". You'll find hundreds of comments to get the picture apart from my posts!

Cheers

Mike
Old 08 January 2002, 02:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks mike!
As you say, "ever heard a porker owner complain about his brakes"

hope that when I get back from USA I'll be in a position to get the movit kit, then I'll be able to comment, hopefully with complete satisfaction!
Old 08 January 2002, 05:22 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Scoobymike,

I have seen these kits on a few cars (mainly Audis, even a TT!) and they look great. Looking at the website, I don't doubt they are the ultimate mod. either.

Just out of interest, I believe that the calipers are made by brembo for Porsche.

How do Movit get hold of them? From Porsche or directly from Brembo. Are Porsche making any money out of this?

I am curious as to why Brembo don't supply an equivalent caliper with their own logo on it which might offer equal performance but wouldn't mean that 'someone' has to pay a royalty to Porsche - if indeed one is paid.

Maybe it's because Porsche have the design copyright on these calipers and 'allow' Movit to sell them in the aftermarket as it adds kudos to the concept of Porsche only fitting the best brakes available to their production cars.

Just a thought...

Old 08 January 2002, 07:39 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steven

Brembo produces the callipers to Porsche specification. The developement work is always done by Porsche themselves so I guess they have some kind of copyright on it.

Porsche is not too happy that Movit sells their callipers. Can you imagine a Porker driver getting outbraked by lets say a Scoob and then afterwards finds out they've been beaten by their own weapons and a car that costs a third! This is the reason why the Porsche painting is removed from the callipers and instead the Movit logo is applied.

You could buy some Porsche callipers from Porsche dealers themselves but then you would have to make your own brakets and bells to fit it to your specific car. As the brakets and bells including the mounting bolts from Movit are of such a high quality and precision it will certainly become you deerer than buying it as a complete set from them. Additionally you also get braided steel hoses wrapped in teflon for the front and the rear when you purchase a kit. It might be from interest to you that Movit is working on a homologation for their kits in Switzeland.

What I can say that I've never met a more dedicated guy than Guido (Movit owner) in motor trade. He restored my faith in the automotive business. He's an absolute car nutter and perfectionist. That and the quality of their products is the reason why I praise them that much.
BTW if you're interested we can meet in spring (car currently storred) and you can convince yourself of the brakes. You won't be dissapointed.

Cheers

Mike

Old 09 January 2002, 09:50 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

How much are these brakes? They look very expensive!
Old 09 January 2002, 10:05 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Prices are comparable with most other big name big brake kits. well.
Old 09 January 2002, 10:29 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Just for info, if you go to the Brembo US site they list all the applications they do and there are a couple of Impreza kits, but very pricey
Another approach would be to go to a Porsche dealer and buy the 993 biturbo callipers and discs directly, then go to a decent engineering firm (HiSpec maybe? GOdspeed?) and have some brackets fabricated..I considered this but was too lazy
The actaul cost of the callipers pads n discs direct from a Porsche dealer was suprisingly cheap.. less than £1000 IIRC.
Then you end up with Porsche written on the calliper instead of JAS or whatever...obviously having 'Brembo' would be coolest though.
Ta
Chuck
Old 09 January 2002, 11:21 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

interesting point there Chuck. got a porker dealer on my doorstep, so could go and chat to them. but I like you am to lazy to go and do this, so I think I'll let Jas get and fit the kit for me, and just sit back and enjoy using it.
Old 09 January 2002, 01:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

seems that there is a bit of interest in this.

might want to check out this post as well, gives details of the systems you can get, and pricing

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=63907

personally I like the sound of the GT3 caliper and pad kit @ 1700 odd quid, though the 996 one at 1400 odd might be a bit easier on the wallet.
Old 09 January 2002, 05:28 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Tiff Needell always sings the praises of the awesome porche brakes. If its good enough for him......

Is there a uk web-site for this Jas place??

Jza
Old 09 January 2002, 06:15 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It's not only the brakets you need but also the bells, the connecting bolts (the Movit ones allow the 322mm disc to expand 1mm in radius, even better than standard single piece Porsche discs), braided steel hoses, get the discs balanced, pads etc. Richard Jeal will also measure the run-out of your bearings with high precision tools, the run-out over the disc surface etc.
So I don't think you get it any cheaper in the end.

Mike
Old 09 January 2002, 07:26 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dear Mates,
It's true, a lot of Swiss and German Scooby owners 'www.impreza-gt-club.de' are using the Mov'it brakes (4 pots BTW). So far, I've only heard very positive reactions! I bought my Brembo Kit from Scoobysport because I liked the fact that the 16" wheels will fit the brakes without putting spacers in between (not the case with the Mov'it brakes! you need spacers or 17" wheels). Now the bad thing is that I don't have any papers (TÜV) granting road legal use of the SS-Brembo kit. The Mov'it kit comes with TÜV!! If I had to decide again I think I would fit the Mov'it system only for this reason!!! But then again I drive around w/o the front catalyst, so here I go illegal. Ric (also scoobynetter) tested lots of different brake systems (Alcon, SS-Brembo, AP) on track and slalom courses but he puts his hands on the Mov'it system! Anyway, I like my Brembos very much and am pleased with'em!! The price is about the same as the Brembo Kit CHF 3'500.00/living over here (shipping charges, VAT, customs!)
Just my thoughts.
Cheers and happy braking (not the dance that is, lol)
Danny
Old 10 January 2002, 06:13 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Smile

The kit we're talking about includes the 322*32mm discs which will anyway fit only under 17inch wheels due to disc diametre.
Additionally they feature the monobloc callipers whereas the SS kit has a standard designed calliper held together with steel bolts which will be heavier hence more unsprung weight. Then you get a disc with cast holes not drilled, special mounting bolts which allow the disc to expand 0.5mm in radius etc etc.

You must be a bad boy Dani, driving around without the cat in the downpipe. Coppers get now especially trained on Scoobs so watch out. I don't begin to list all the non-homologated stuff on my EVO as the list gets longer than the Movit thread.

Cheers

Mike
Old 10 January 2002, 09:30 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scoobymike,
Yes I heard from my local Subaru Garage, that coppers are taking training at Subaru, regarding tuning parts and non-homologated items. Very sad! Well I was very lucky so far. I probably have to take out the front cat of its pipe/cast so it will be less obvious.
Cheers,
Danny
Old 10 January 2002, 11:23 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

all, please see this thread about a possible group buy on the movit kit
Old 01 September 2002, 10:45 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mike, I might take you up on that offer, but I hope to have a 986 or maybe even a 993 by then!

[Edited by Stephen Read - 1/9/2002 10:52:21 AM]