Notices

Clifford Blackjaxx 5?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2005, 11:53 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clifford Blackjaxx 5?

By way of a telephone call to a local car security place I agreed to have Clifford Blackjax fitted to my MY02 WRX... Sounded like a great plan...
I did my research into blackjaxx on here... The 4 digit keypad, the alarm blaring as it powers to a gradual halt etc...
Anyway, they turn up to install telling me the keypad has been replaced by a hidden button, that the system cant be wired to my sigma alarm (so no external noise as it powers down)...
I begin to wonder if is a Clifford system as its not what SN users have described... He assures me its the latest from Clifford - The Blackjaxx 5?? I ask for anything clifford branded and get told that all they get with the system is the fitting instructions and that my invoice from them as installers is my guarantee...
The invoice simply says "Black Jack Anti-Hijack System"...
Have I been duped? does the Blackjaxx 5 exist and is it this spec?
Answers welcome.... Thanks.P.
Old 11 August 2005, 08:38 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

The 4 digit keypad, the alarm blaring as it powers to a gradual halt etc...
Anyway, they turn up to install telling me the keypad has been replaced by a hidden button,

-- There never has been a 4 digit keypad, it is a two button keypad which can use a four digit code to disarm

that the system cant be wired to my sigma alarm (so no external noise as it powers down)...

-- No it cannot be wired to your Sigma alarm, nor any Clifford alarm. Some Clifford alarms have the Blackjax built in which gives that feature. It should however have a siren included to give you the warning sounds and trigger on activation, or at the very least connected to your horn to give the same affect. If this has not been done then take it back/get them back to sort it.

I begin to wonder if is a Clifford system as its not what SN users have described... He assures me its the latest from Clifford - The Blackjaxx 5??

-- I think you may have misinterpreted some of what you have read. How do you turn it off? Is it a two button panel? If so, describe it.

I ask for anything clifford branded and get told that all they get with the system is the fitting instructions and that my invoice from them as installers is my guarantee...

-- Normally they come with some kind of warranty/installation form, on the non-thatcham its just the last page of the instruction book which gets filled in with vehicle details.

The invoice simply says "Black Jack Anti-Hijack System"...
Have I been duped? does the Blackjaxx 5 exist and is it this spec?

-- I would at least get them to write a invoice stating that it was supplied and fitted, and detail your car make/model/reg etc.
Old 12 August 2005, 03:55 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Cheers WannaB4...In response:

It is one button in a special place that I now have... not two...There is a buzzer behind my dash which beeps once when I de-activte by pressing said button...

Should you not press said hidden button, the buzzer sounds internally after x seconds, for x seconds before cutting the fuel...

Cheers

P
Old 12 August 2005, 04:41 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

Sounds like its not a Clifford Blackjax, unless they have drasticaly changed something since I last fitted one.
Old 12 August 2005, 06:39 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Hmm I've done some research myself now and I think you're right wannab.... I've emailed the company with my concerns and potential misrepresentation of goods etc.... Wil update....
Thanks a lot for your input...
P
Old 13 August 2005, 01:48 PM
MotorGuard
BANNED

Def not a Clifford product. We are authorised clifford dealers and have not heard of any such system. Sounds like a pressure switch version that is done by many other suppliers
Old 18 August 2005, 05:30 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Apparantly a Shulok system?

They are refusing to remove it and refund me despite it not being what I ordered. I have quoted Sales of Goods act excerpts and intend to sue them if needs be...

The installation was done faulty too as it is not wired to the horn or any other siren so cuts out in silence...

I will be naming a shaming if they dont resolve the matter within the next 24 hours..

What do you guys know of Shulok? I've not heard of them?

P
Old 18 August 2005, 06:35 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

Shulok?? not heard of them. Maybe Shurlock, if so then ok run of the mill stuff.

Go for the kill mate, if they are ripping you of then they deserve to be taken to court etc
Old 19 August 2005, 09:19 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

To be honest if it a hidden button surely thats better, ive seen reports were people have been frogmarched to put the code in once the scum have seen the keypad. hidden button sounds alot better to me.

SG
Old 19 August 2005, 11:22 AM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

I agree in some ways it is better, but the point here really is that it is not what he wanted, or what the supplier told him he had.
Old 19 August 2005, 11:27 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Very true wannaB4. I stand corrected and apolagise

SG
Old 19 August 2005, 05:22 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

I'm off to citizens advice on Monday to establish my legal standpoint before appointing a solicitor...
Whilst the hidden button does the job I've been missold a product I didnt ask for and deserve recompense... This version isnt even wired up to the horn so it cuts out in silence ... Hmmm that'll spook the thieves and attract police/public attention....D'oh!
Update to follow...
P
Old 19 August 2005, 09:03 PM
msi
Scooby Regular

Bugger mate, this is why I drove 100 miles down to Motorguard to get mine fitted, just didn't know who to trust.
Old 23 August 2005, 08:25 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Well the company in question have backed down once the Sales of Goods act has been quoted. They have promised a deinstallation and full refund of the product...
And the guys at Citizens Advise had been so helpful telling me how to get them to court...
So as long as they turn up the problem should be sorted and I'll be able to search out a more reputable car security firm in the north west...
Thanks for your comments chaps
P
Old 23 August 2005, 07:08 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

Make sure you are happy with what they have done when they take it out. Obviously they will have lost money on this so will have no interest in you or your car. Check that no panels are damaged, everything has been put back as it should be.
Old 23 August 2005, 07:19 PM
msi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
and I'll be able to search out a more reputable car security firm in the north west...

And that will be your next problem, there is a Clifford dealer in Chester who told me "Clifford are no good, you want a Toad".......no I don't matey.
Old 24 August 2005, 08:15 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

I cant see a toad or any other amphibious creature protecting my car TBH so wont ask for a toad... Newts may be effective if hidden in the ashtray... Seriously I'll ask around for more reliable sources...

As for them taking care of my car, I'll be standing over their every move when they come to ensure no foul play...
Old 04 September 2005, 10:11 AM
msi
Scooby Regular

Have you found anyone local yet?
Old 04 September 2005, 03:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Hiya MSI - the dodgy company removed their device on Friday and I've found a place in Northwich who will fit a Clifford system next Friday... They've been mentioned on here before...
www.car-stuff.net.
They'been complimented on here in the past, so Im happy to drive over to get it done
Old 04 September 2005, 06:05 PM
msi
Scooby Regular

Good, i've heard of them, let us know how it goes
Old 05 September 2005, 05:35 AM
stubs
Scooby Newbie

Hiya MSI - the dodgy company removed their device on Friday and I've found a place in Northwich who will fit a Clifford system next Friday... They've been mentioned on here before...
www.car-stuff.net.
They'been complimented on here in the past, so Im happy to drive over to get it done
I can vouch (sp?) for him 110%!! The guy's called Nick, and he's very honest & approachable.
I have dealt with him on several occasions, and have bought stock from him in the past.
He's very reasonable, offers quite competative rates, and his workmanship is superb!

Old 09 September 2005, 05:32 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Nick did me proud this morning and I now have a Blackjax 4 system fitted and working... Really friendly chap and a superb tidy job with him consulting me on all matters relating to the system before anything was done.
Would recommend him to anyone, as opposed to the company that tried to diddle me. Having seen the clifford in action, the gulf in quality between what the original company tried to blag onto me and the clifford are worlds apart.
Thanks to all who contributed to the thread and to Nick...
Pabz
Old 11 September 2005, 07:35 PM
Carlos13
Scooby Regular

I have never understood why people go for an anti-hijack system that has a clearly visible keypad. A clued up thief is going to look for it and then kindly ask you to disarm it before he drives off. Surely one with a hidden pressure-switch/button is a much better idea...?
Old 12 September 2005, 07:54 AM
msi
Scooby Regular

Nice one Abdabz, glad it's all sorted.
Old 12 September 2005, 01:27 PM
wannaB4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlos13
I have never understood why people go for an anti-hijack system that has a clearly visible keypad. A clued up thief is going to look for it and then kindly ask you to disarm it before he drives off. Surely one with a hidden pressure-switch/button is a much better idea...?

In someways yes it is better, no tell tale signs it is on there etc, but if found easy to get round - push the button. Although the clifford button is on display, although could be fitted out of view, it could be anything from the Clifford range from the cheapest thing with no anti hijack to an AG5 with everything. The main point of this thread though was that Abdabz asked, paid for, and was told he had something that it was not.
Old 26 September 2005, 08:07 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Nick did me proud this morning and I now have a Blackjax 4 system fitted and working... Really friendly chap and a superb tidy job with him consulting me on all matters relating to the system before anything was done.
Would recommend him to anyone, as opposed to the company that tried to diddle me. Having seen the clifford in action, the gulf in quality between what the original company tried to blag onto me and the clifford are worlds apart.
Thanks to all who contributed to the thread and to Nick...
Pabz
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to have the system fitted. If you don't want to tell me, I'd fully understand.

There has been a few carjackings near me so getting a bit worried.