Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Clifford Dealers - Hampshire/Berks area

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2000, 12:30 AM
tomp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Techne in Basingstoke just fitted my Clifford 300 series with a couple of options. Very competent and also deals in top range ICE & phones. The guy's name is Tim on 01256812990.

Tom P
Old 10 January 2000, 10:35 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Question

I take delvery of my Impreza in March. I have decided on Clifford 600, a gearbox lock and Tracker. I am yet to find a Clfford installer I am totally happy with. Nick Lines recommends a bloke in Leeds - but that is a long way from Portsmouth. Could members recommend a clifford dealer within an hours drive from Portsmouth?
Also what are members feelings about these smoke machines? The ones which generate smog inside the car. Are they worth fitting? Many thanks for your help.
Old 10 January 2000, 02:55 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Brooks,

I had a Clifford 600 fitted at John Kleis (incidentally to an EVO6 - but I have now changed that for an Impreza so don't slag me off!). There were no real problems - they charged £660 all in but to be honest don't buy it! It kept going wrong (two faulty sensors) and if you lend the car to someone they'll lock themselves out of it even if you spend an evening explaining how to disarm the car... (yes, it happened to me).

If you look in the back of EVO, there's a company that does Sigma Thatcham CAT1 alarms for about £270 (standard fit on UK cars) and they come round to you - get it done at work though as they might 'size-up' your house security...

But from my experience, stick with something simple (and ok, as a treat, maybe get that smoke machine) - you'll be much happier at the end of the day.

P.S. I heard that the Clifford G4 systems were unreliable when fitted to the STi5 (which have different ECUs to the cars before it.)

[This message has been edited by richards (edited 10-01-2000).]
Old 10 January 2000, 04:43 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Having been looking at alarms, as im about to pick my car up. Huets in Worthing say that the sti needs a seperate little loom in order to work correctly (available from clifford).

Do those of you that have had problems know whether this has been used ?
Old 10 January 2000, 05:11 PM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The 600 is a complex beast, but you shouldn't lock yourself out. Auto locking, and indeed auto arming, are both optional. Most dealers will ask you how you want it set up. Blackjax, like auto lock, auto arm, etc, is optional and is *wonderful*.

I've got the Cliffnet Wizard, too, which allows very easy programming of features - this is useful before taking in for a service, as you can disable auto arming, auto locking and blackjax, which are all guaranteed to fox anyone who hasn't seen the system before.

Let me guess on sensor failure: was it the digital tilt/motion? If so, these things are sensitive to heat (causes false alarms as the box cools, so if its on the transmission tunnel or near exhaust it is bad news)...

There *was* a problem with 600s on STIs/WRXs, but it has now been fixed. In short, these cars were dirty, electrically speaking. Solution is guessed at a set of smoothing caps. Your dealer can tell if its a good 'un by seeing if it has a red dot above the serial number (check latest clifford dealer releases). You shouldn't need any extra looming - the solution was in the latest dealer bulletin of a week or so ago. I only caught a brief sight of it, so I might have got it wrong.. Huets are an established business, so they should know what they're doing.

I guess I'm biased, as I have had clifford systems on all cars (morris minor included) for the past 6 years. Never had a trouble, but always had a very good installer. The Cliffords are generally accepted as being a bit fiddly to get right - this has lead to some dealers losing their dealership and now bad-mouthing the brand...
Old 10 January 2000, 11:24 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

i've also been a clifford stalwart, had the old eagle on my r5gt turbo (no laughing now), the concept 40 on my 16v golf fti and concept 50 on my peugeot 309 gti.

I never had any problems with the alarms apart from them killing the battery when on holiday, until the 309 got nicked.
Remember cliffords little ditty in the adverts that says they will refund the price of the alarm if the car gets stolen ? (few years ago now) Well, i contact clifford to say the 309 had gone walkies to be informed that the car has to be missing for 21 days before they will pay out.

Hmmmm kinda defeats the point, i thought the clifford was to stop it getting stolen, not to ensure its return in 21 days......

The car was found stripped and the remnants burnt to a crisp on day 20 or 21 depending what side of midnight the car went missing.
Clifford response......... bugger all, they decided to change there mind and say it has to be OVER 31 days and i was informed incorrectly last time.

Needless to say i wasnt impressed, and i'll have major second thoughts before fitting another.

DRS cars at findon recommend the gt auto alarms cat 1 immob due to problems they had with clifford reliability earlier last year.

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 10-01-2000).]
Old 11 January 2000, 04:04 PM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Brooks
There is a Clifford installer just by Burrfields Road industrial estate in Pompey next door to the Post Office parcels place. I can't remember what they're called off the top of my head but they're in the yellow pages. They fitted my concept 50 and are very professional and did a neat job. They are also the cheapest in Portsmouth which is another plus. If you can't find them put another post up and i'll dig out their name, phone no etc.
regards
Warren
Old 12 January 2000, 01:05 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Try Sound secure in Thatcham they have done work on my scoob with my clifford C50X good prices to.
Old 12 January 2000, 10:49 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions so far on this thread.I have followed up all of them.

Warren I know the place that you are refering to; what particularly impressed you about them? What led you to believe they were very professional? I am not trying to pick holes, its just in talking with they guys there I did not have to same impression as you ( although I have not experienced any of there work).
Thanks
Old 13 January 2000, 02:47 PM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Brooks
I formed a good feeling about the guys after watching them carrying out an installation on a 911 during my first visit. They didn't appear to be hack,bend and lever merchants and used the correct tools for the job. They also have the installation contract for BT as well as some of the local dealerships, which must say something.
The Concept 50x in the Scoob had one of the sensors go u/s and they sorted it out quickly and without fuss.
If you are still not convinced(it's your money after all!) try Stirling Ice in Farlington or Toad(it's name may have changed) by Copnor bridge. I know all three are VSIB approved and you get a nice little certificate etc to prove the installation.
I'm an Engineer by trade and like yourself am extremely wary of entrusting the Scoob to just anyone, can recommend Sparshatts of Botley for your servicing.
Hope this helps
Warren