Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVO Shocks - recall please read

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 09:08 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm posting this on with the blessing of AVO UK.

Theres is a recall on their EVO suspension kits for Scoobs purchased from end October '01 onwards, due to a manufacturing fault.

I have emailed all my customers regardig this, but anyone who has purchased these from other vendors would be advised to check with AVO whether their kit needs to be returned and replaced.

I have had my AVOs replaced and am happy with their performance on road and track and I'm not interested in other parties, especially competitors stirring up **** when all they've heardd is a bit of heresay.

I'd like all people reading this to judge for themselves the situation, considering AVO are conscientious enough to request me to post this and to admit an error and replace all faulty kits. That doesn't happen too often.

For any queries, please call AVO on 01604 708101.
Old 10 February 2002, 09:29 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the info Craig. It's good to see this posted so as many people as possible who have this bad batch can get a replacement sorted.

It's refreshing to see a company be up front about a problem and rectify it in the correct manner.
Old 10 February 2002, 09:32 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I've not got any AVO kit, or any connection to NAM etc but this is exactly the way to handle a defect in a product. No fuss, no trying to wriggle out of it, just here's the problem pop along and it'll get sorted and sorry for any hassle it's caused.

I just wish more places would act in the same way, instead of trying to weasle out of it.
Old 11 February 2002, 07:44 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good to see this happen !
Old 11 February 2002, 10:55 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Craig

I'm sorry if you feel my post in the suspension forum was "stirring up ****".

I actually didn't believe it, as I was certain that you would have posted something up immediately after event, to warn other Impreza drivers.

Had I not posted, would anyone be reading this ?

I am not sure what damage was caused to your own car by the collapse, but I consider suspension collapsing serious enough that everyone should know about it. I appreciate you may have mailed your customers, but what about those that may have bought from elsewhere? They may not receive the same level of customer care that you offer. Have any cars fitted with it been sold? If so, have the new owners been contacted?

I know that one user has just returned from a Monte Carlo and a skiing trip. He had no idea of the potential danger whilst blasting around mountain roads for 10 days.

A similar failure, on these roads, may have had far more serious consequences.

My post was worded so that you would issue a statement. If that is stirring, then we must have a different value of people in the Impreza community. And that would surprise me.
Old 11 February 2002, 11:06 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I agree with Pete -- if the suspension failed on your car, what position would you be in if the same had happened to another AVO suspension owner in the period between your failure and this posting? Somebody could have been seriously injured or killed.

My father once owned a car that suffered total suspension collapse on one side during hard cornering, and he said he thought he was going to die
Old 11 February 2002, 01:07 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

ttt
Old 11 February 2002, 05:10 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

ttt
Old 11 February 2002, 05:57 PM
gadge
Scooby Regular

Arrow

hi
craig i got an avo coil over kit from you a bit back dose this concern me?
Old 12 February 2002, 09:20 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Pete, i feel we have done what is the best way to handle this.

Not being funny, but all the leda's that leak oil must also be dangerous in the fact of fluid fouling up the brakes, yet this is never mentioned.

We needed to find the problem before we addressed this, this takes a bit of time. Now the problem has been found we have let everyone know where physically possible.

It is a concern that we have addressed properly.

Regards

Steve
Old 12 February 2002, 02:13 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

ttt
Old 17 February 2002, 01:12 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I bought a set of AVO's from Craig and subsequently heard about these problems with them, so much so that it put me off having them on my car.
Credit is due to Craig and Newage Motorsport whereby he didn't have a problem in taking them back from me after explaining my concerns. This was within 2 days of purchase.
At the time it was deemed to be nothing more than rumours, however Craig himself having experienced the problem I was concerned about, has taken action with the manufacturer ( and succeeded )to ensure customers have goods supplied by them to be of merchantable quality.

Therefore congratulations should be given in their direction for achieving a result as I believe it has taken a long time to convince AVO (IMO stuck their head in the sand)that there is indeed a problem which needed addressed and subsequently potential loss of business for both AVO and their distributors.

A
Old 02 November 2002, 11:07 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I have liased with my customers, with AVO and with other AVO resellers informing them of the potential problem in order that they can contact and forewarn their customers.

I have been quite open with anyone who has asked me about this and myself and AVO insisted on posting informing of the problem.

After consulting with AVO I was told that their was no danger regarding road use, but severe track use was to be discouraged until the kits were replaced.

The reason for the slight delay in posting was waiting for AVO to conclude an investigation into my failure - if you cast your eyes back to a post a few weeks ago, I mentioned making a statement then when I had the full information.

I feel I have posted at the correct time as soon as I had all the facts - I fully understand the severity of the situation and feel I have done everyone within reason that I could have to make people aware of the potential problems.

I would certainly not want to even consider the prospect of something serious happening to a customer or another companies customer due me not posting the correct information - at the same time, I'm sure you can appreciate the need to find out exactly what the cause of the problem was, checking my shock against the others that have been sent to see if it is a genuine 1 off or whether there is need for a recall.

[Edited by CraigH - 2/11/2002 11:21:12 AM]