OBD2 tracker and scanner - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum



Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

OBD2 tracker and scanner

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01 October 2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Sam Witwicky
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ney York city
Posts: 7
Default OBD2 tracker and scanner

Hello.
We are working on a new OBD II tracker/scanner. Our device is almost finished but we still have time to add new functions or change some of the existing ones. I want your advice to make it better if it is interesting for you to participate in the process of creating a new device for your car.
Main functions of the device:
- reads engine error codes;
- shows the data from dashboard indicators;
- real-time 24/7 vehicle monitoring;
- location tracking;
- notification when vehicle enters or leaves a geo-fence;
- driver's behavior analysis;
- accident notification;
- 3d reconstruction of the accident;
- mobile application;
Which other functions would you find useful? What functions do you think are unnecessary?
I will be thankful for any ideas. Feel free to say what you think.
Sam Witwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2015, 10:09 AM   #2
bludgod
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
bludgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 1,575
Default

depending on what your building it from, what about a camera input so it works like dash cam as well - if your android based then recording with a data overlay like you can do with torq might be cool too?

Take a look at the psi3 datamonitor, its very popular even though its totally outdated now and most of them are dieing off so something in the lines of a din sized replacement could be a good seller.
bludgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Sam Witwicky
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ney York city
Posts: 7
Default Thanks

Thank you for your participation.
Sam Witwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2015, 11:04 AM   #4
bludgod
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
bludgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 1,575
Default

do you have any more info on the project - web link or some idea on what it will look like? Are you thinking something in a DIN size or a box of tricks you can hide in the dash/boot/engine bay with a remote LCD screen somewhere (like a toucan display type?)
bludgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Sam Witwicky
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ney York city
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludgod View Post
do you have any more info on the project - web link or some idea on what it will look like? Are you thinking something in a DIN size or a box of tricks you can hide in the dash/boot/engine bay with a remote LCD screen somewhere (like a toucan display type?)
It is a device which plugs to OBD2 connector of a car. It is not big. Actually it is not bigger than an ordinary OBD2 scanner. Users can see their car on Livemap wherever in the world it is. It will notify you in case of an accident or if your vehicle is being towed away so you can take action immediately. All information is interfaced in a smartphone app or in web account. And there are many other useful functions.
The device is not ready and our website is on stage of developing. I will inform you when it is possible to see the device.

Last edited by Sam Witwicky; 03 October 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Sam Witwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2015, 05:40 PM   #6
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ....
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludgod View Post
depending on what your building it from, what about a camera input so it works like dash cam as well - if your android based then recording with a data overlay like you can do with torq might be cool too?

Take a look at the psi3 datamonitor, its very popular even though its totally outdated now and most of them are dieing off so something in the lines of a din sized replacement could be a good seller.
Definitely a super 👌👍
ZANY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2015, 11:33 AM   #7
bludgod
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
bludgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 1,575
Default

yeh i'd looked into it a bit using a raspberry PI and a LCD screen added on but just not been motivated to get any more progress on it - if someone was to put the R&D into it i'm sure there'd be some decent sales figures at the right price. What's a PSI3 going for these days anyway, few hundred quid still?
bludgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Sam Witwicky
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ney York city
Posts: 7
Default

I think our device will have the functional you want. I will give you more information as soon as I can
Sam Witwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2015, 02:12 PM   #9
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ....
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludgod View Post
yeh i'd looked into it a bit using a raspberry PI and a LCD screen added on but just not been motivated to get any more progress on it - if someone was to put the R&D into it i'm sure there'd be some decent sales figures at the right price. What's a PSI3 going for these days anyway, few hundred quid still?
Silly money mate 250+ not worth the agro
ZANY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2015, 03:36 PM   #10
bludgod
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
bludgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
Silly money mate 250+ not worth the agro
yeh - thats why i started playing about with the raspberry pi. Once of those with a 4.99 vag com lead will read most cars with SSM protocol via the OBD port and you can hook up pretty much any display too. Just never got around to bringing it all together!
bludgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2015, 05:15 PM   #11
evo 6 WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange, NSW
Posts: 1
Default Make it so 2003 WRX Subaru Impress a can be used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Witwicky View Post
Hello.
We are working on a new OBD II tracker/scanner. Our device is almost finished but we still have time to add new functions or change some of the existing ones. I want your advice to make it better if it is interesting for you to participate in the process of creating a new device for your car.
Main functions of the device:
- reads engine error codes;
- shows the data from dashboard indicators;
- real-time 24/7 vehicle monitoring;
- location tracking;
- notification when vehicle enters or leaves a geo-fence;
- driver's behavior analysis;
- accident notification;
- 3d reconstruction of the accident;
- mobile application;
Which other functions would you find useful? What functions do you think are unnecessary?
I will be thankful for any ideas. Feel free to say what you think.
I brought a OBDII ans can't seem to get it to work on my Wrx Subaru eve 6 club spec 2003, also I can't seem seem to find OBDll info on my car. However on this site. http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehicle-list-compatible-obd2/subaru there is info that it can be used or my car But still can't get it to work, I have download Torque app pro, paired it to phone and still no readings....

Last edited by evo 6 WRX; 15 October 2015 at 05:19 PM.
evo 6 WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Sam Witwicky
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ney York city
Posts: 7
Default

I'm sorry I haven't contacted you the last few days but I've been very busy with my project.
We have filmed some more videos for Kickstarter. We are almost ready to start our Kickstarter, so you will be able to see how the device works. And I suppose you will get answers on many questions after you see the video of the device. I believe we will start our campaign next week.
I will keep you updated!
Sam Witwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 06:49 PM   #13
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ....
Posts: 4,163
Default

[QUOTE=Sam Witwicky;11755185]I'm sorry I haven't contacted you the last few days but I've been very busy with my project.
We have filmed some more videos for Kickstarter. We are almost ready to start our Kickstarter, so you will be able to see how the device works. And I suppose you will get answers on many questions after you see the video of the device. I believe we will start our campaign next week.
I will keep you updated![/QUOTE
Is the Kickstarter the name of your device for the obdll port ?? Will be awaiting eagerly for this one
ZANY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 06:57 PM   #14
bludgod
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
bludgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 1,575
Default

kickstarter is a way of getting companies off the ground, you setup an add to try and get people to give you money that you can spend.
bludgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 09:10 PM   #15
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ....
Posts: 4,163
Default

So just a teaser !! I was hoping for sumat to take over the old psi3 ecu data monitor to be honest and looking forward to buying one
ZANY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 02:22 PM   #16
bludgod
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
bludgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belfast
Posts: 1,575
Default

yeh that's why I was looking into the raspberry PI stuph - needs a good bit of refinement to make it into a DIN sized product though but the theory is it would do all the PSI3 does and more (logging could be added to USB quite easily).
bludgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2015, 02:54 PM   #17
Sam Witwicky
Scooby Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ney York city
Posts: 7
Default

[/QUOTE
Is the Kickstarter the name of your device for the obdll port ?? Will be awaiting eagerly for this one[/QUOTE]

Kickstarter is a global crowdfunding platform that helps bringing creative projects to life.
Sam Witwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 11:49 AM   #18
ZANY
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ....
Posts: 4,163
Default

It's more of a black box !!!! Like a tag on your ankle dude!! I thought it was like a psi3
ZANY is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 STI 320r Abx Subaru 22 09 January 2016 06:42 PM
OBD2 cannot connect to ECU TECHNOPUG General Technical 11 21 September 2015 06:42 PM
iOS Safari Contenr blockers JackClark Computer & Technology Related 14 20 September 2015 10:27 AM
DAY FROM HELL THANKS TO SHELLY MOTORS smunns Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries 5 14 September 2015 09:08 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: