ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Radar and Laser Jammer article

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2001, 10:43 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi,

here is an interesting article on radar detectors, laser jammers and the like...
Old 09 January 2001, 04:28 PM
Chris J
Scooby Regular

might want to check out this as well
Old 09 January 2001, 07:12 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chris J:
<B>might want to check out this as well
Old 09 January 2001, 07:30 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Would strongly recommend the Snooper SLD 920 Jammer - a product that actually does Jam the 'Basta*ds' laser guns - One up on me this time!
Old 09 January 2001, 08:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Steve,

if the government/police-state gets it's way, your SLD920 will mean a GBP60 fixed-penalty fine plus three points (or GBP1000 plus 6 points in court!).

See
Old 10 January 2001, 07:58 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Well done Steve, publicly admitting to use of such a device can get you in a lot of ****, given your occupational status, you might also find it doesnt stop at a ticket and some points.
Old 11 January 2001, 12:50 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sunlip

don't worry about Steve - he gets a volume discount anyway !

Paul
Old 11 January 2001, 09:47 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

SunilP

It is not illegal to own one of these. It is also technically not illegal to use one!

So shut it

It is not an ACA institute offence to be done re driving convictions!

In any case just cos I say it - it does not mean they can actually prove I have one on my car!
Old 12 January 2001, 09:02 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by steve McCulloch:
<B>

It is not illegal to own one of these. It is also technically not illegal to use one!
[/quote]

Are you sure Steve?? Radar and laser DETECTORS are legal (since 27th Jan 97), but AFAIK Laser JAMMERS are illegal as they 'interfere' with police communications?

Old 12 January 2001, 09:20 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

And we don't want to upset the ecilop's communications now do we!!!!

Dan
Old 12 January 2001, 09:26 AM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

As I understand, the police try to prosecute radar detectors under a 1950's law about interception or interfereing with a radio message not intended for interceptee (believe it or not), detectors where deemed legal be cause they did not interfere with and the Judges, rightly said that a car could not actually recieve a message sent by the radar gun therefore no case....
Jammers actively interfere, proven, thats there criteria of operation...QED Illegal!
Old 12 January 2001, 07:52 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Angry

Steve, you are so unbeleivably ignorant

1) JAMMERS ARE ILLEGAL

2) IF YOU THINK ICAEW WONT TAKE ACTION THEN THINK AGAIN - dont you know the story of a trainee who was barred for life because he didnt buy a rail ticket!
Old 12 January 2001, 08:35 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

As he referred to my colleagues & I as *******s I really don't want to agree with Mr. McCULLOUGH, however from a legal standpoint I have to. There is no law against their ownership, nor is there a law against transmitting light. They will be made illegal under the amendments to the Construction & Use Regulations.

However, if you are caught in the possession of one you will be reported on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. It is <B>really</B> obvious when the laser devices are being jammed.

The radar detectors were thought to be contrary to section 5(b)(i) of the Wireless & Telegraphy Act 1949 as amended by section 3 of the Post office Act 1969. These two pieces of legislation deal with the interception of wireless transmissions with intent to gain information as to the content. However the Queens Bench Divisional Court decided that a radar transmission did not constitute a 'transmission' for the purpose of the act.

Radar jammers are illegal, if you are caught in possession of one you are likely to be arrested for endangering aircraft or some similar charge.
Old 12 January 2001, 08:43 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I think that RADIO jammers _are_ illegal - down to the wireless and crystal-set/cats-whiskers act of 1726 or something

Laser jammers are a different kettle of salmon, because they emit (or detect) LIGHT, which is kinda fundemental to being a human. The W&T act probably doesn't apply to laser jamming (or receiving)

Of course there is always the "stopping Plod doing his job" argument - which is perfectly valid. However, surely it is up to said Plod to prove that it was indeed you, and not some other vehicle, that was performing the jamming. You may well have had your device turned off at the time!

Difficult call, but rest assured that HMG wil close EVERY loophole very soon (see other posts on banning radar detectors, changes to the points system etc.)

mb
Old 12 January 2001, 09:08 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stuart H:
<B>They will be made illegal under the amendments to the Construction & Use Regulations.[/quote]

Stuart,

with all due respect, these devices *MAY* be made illegal, depending on whether the proposed Statutory Instrument is applied.

I am not an expert in these matters, but the wording and rationale within the "Regulatory Impact Assessment" for this SI is at the very least pathetic, and with no valid arguements or justification. If may even be fundementally flawed, as the traffic master system which is being developed across the UK relies VERY MUCH on the detection of the presence of speed measuring apparatus - otherwise how would you know where the jams were!!

mb
Old 12 January 2001, 09:13 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

Boomer, you do know who Stuart H is?
Old 12 January 2001, 10:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Smile

Boomer, who's Boomer?
Old 12 January 2001, 10:35 PM
Mr_Angry
Scooby Newbie

Stuart H a laser Jammer will have no effect on aircraft whatsoever!!!

A radar jammer the size of which you could get in your a car would have absolutely no effect on Air traffic Radars either, or police radars come to that!!

For you to get close enough to an Air traffic radar for anything other than a military aircraft type jammer to effect them you would fry yourself!!!! (well your ***** would get a strong dose anyhow) The problems we have in air traffic and probably what you are confusing is people using illegal radios on our frequencies sometimes for music, but in a few cases to try and give aircraft instructions!!!!(THERE ARE SOME ****ERS OUT THERE!)

[This message has been edited by Mr_Angry (edited 12 January 2001).]
Old 13 January 2001, 04:56 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

Just found out the guy who proposed all this stuff at the DETR, Mr Ian Edwards does'nt even drive a car.... Allegedly

Old 13 January 2001, 05:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Neil,

if Mr Ian Edwards does not drive a car, then how can we feel comfortable that he will actually read and consider any letters or comments that members of the public submit? It is quite clear that he does not read car magazines, because he (or his department) think that radar detectors have only been on sale _since_ the Scottish ruling.

Maybe we need to find out who _his_ manager is?

mb
Old 14 January 2001, 10:22 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr_Angry:
<B>Stuart H a laser Jammer will have no effect on aircraft whatsoever!!![/quote]

I don't see where I said they would

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stuart H:
<B>Radar jammers are illegal, if you are caught in possession of one you are likely to be arrested for endangering aircraft or some similar charge.[/quote]

Doesn't look to me like I said laser jammers had an effect on aircraft.

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 14 January 2001).]
Old 14 January 2001, 01:58 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

SunilP

Do u really think I dont know about all the above information - do u really think I am that ignorant! - shame on you?

The Laser jammer was reviewed for legality prior to a erm... distant.... friends purchase (recently deceased!)

At the moment as Stuart mentioned they are not illegal to own - that is a fact - they are also not technically illegal to use - u can be done for interfering with the Policemans duty - but then most of them are too stupid (gross generalisation of course - but I hate them all) to realise whats goign on - by the time they have tried again they will get a reading as most of the Jammers can be immediately swithced off - indeed they can be turned off mosty of the time if you want (not that I would knwo of course?)

They may become illegal - but then how many people had radar detectors in their car when they were illegal?

Now other countries such as France - I would not use said devices as the fines (on the spot are very high) - but then they all drive like idiots over there

On the point of the Trainee getting sacked for the train offence from the ACA or whatever then tough luck - should not have been stupid enough to get caught - and I thought u only got a £10 fine - most people in this neck of the woods dont bother paying - but then noone seems to use them anymore?