Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Underhand, and wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2001, 12:41 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DrEvil:
<B>

I'll get my coat...

[/quote]

LOL

Cem
Old 11 January 2001, 09:45 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Angry

From the sun :

"What were cops doing yesterday in a teown where 428 Burglaries remain unsolved? Hiding behind a Postman Pat van nicking DRIVERS"

says it all really
my opinion :
as is becoming more and more apparent, speeding is soon to be the wrost crime you can commit, forget rape, burglary, theft, physical voilence, they are ok, just dont speed and your gonna be ok

robski
Old 11 January 2001, 09:55 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I don't mind them doing people for speeding in town, but the headline hardly gives a thorough account of where or what they were doing.
But I would sort of appreciate it if they would catch people who commit other crimes occasionally.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:01 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Exactly. Its easy and profitable to bust someone going a few miles an hour over the limit, but difficult and costly to solve crime in a neighbourhood.
The Government probably cant afford the money necessary to tackle serious crime, as it is not profitable, and doesnt make them a penny, and they need all the money they can get, perhaps to build a new Dome?
I agree, bad and dangerous drivers need to be stopped, but they are cracking down so hard on the average motorist its going to be virtually impossible to drive normally, and they seem to ignore all other crimes, as they are not high profile enough.
This affects everyone, its so easy to sit on an empty road and wait for someone to come along it at 10MPh over the limit. They never do it in places where it would cause danger to people, rather wide open roads where they know people will be tempted to break the limit, even though its safe to do so, it all equals money.
Old 11 January 2001, 10:10 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Friend wnet out with a policeman driving an unmarked Scoob round Derby (won't say what colour).

Guy "apparently" said to my friend, he goads people into racing......then nicks them.

I said what a c**t

dunno the how truthful this, or if it's jusy my mate being a pr4t.....

if it's true though, stinks more than a little.......
Old 11 January 2001, 10:39 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

There are different departments in the police and they do their respective jobs.

You can't expect the entire police force in the Met to drop everything when someone in London goes missing, gets raped, etc.

No matter how extreme some crimes are, the police have to keep policing their respective areas. Traffic is one of these areas and so they will continue to do this.

It's very easy to jump on the "Police aren't doing their job right" bandwagon, but it's not easy doing the policing in the UK.

Now if you want to create a "why is there not more funding for the police" bandwagon, I'll happily jump on that.

Old 11 January 2001, 11:16 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Cem
Dont agree at all. I have seen a very bad side of the police recently that has made me very angry. One thing that we HAVE to remember is that the police should NOT be regarded as a business, it is a civil service.

Cem
Old 11 January 2001, 11:19 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Not wishing to start speculation, but it's a green one in the Derby area!!!
Old 11 January 2001, 11:20 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AWD:
<B>but it's not easy doing the policing in the UK.[/quote]

Got it in one.

Old 11 January 2001, 11:22 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Think it must be Notts then - it's not green.
Old 11 January 2001, 11:30 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Ok, it was in brentwood essex

some of the figures 503 burglaries in 2 years, a massive 75 solved

341 car thefts, 263 still open

the vans are red white and blue apparently

The thing that is 100% wrong is that the police get the cash. What should happen is that it goes to either charity (my choice) or a fund for people who suffer from the crimes that the police dont sort out.

Heres a little prediction for a few years time : police get performance related pay
so, they are more concerned with getting revenue than non reveneue generating offences, so more cash is switched to speed detection devices away from other policing
as no one wants to work on normal crimes (too difficult to get results)

AWD, good point, but it doesnt cut it. I would much rather take my chances on our comparitively safe roads compared to walking the streets. In the 4 1/2 years at my current address I have never ever seen a single police officer on foot or bike. I do however regularly see them parked in obscure places in the hope of catching a speeding motorist.

robski
Old 11 January 2001, 11:46 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I am with Stu on this.

Its a very very tough job indeed, you have only gotta sit with Stu and chat about his daily routine and how he has to go to peoples houses and inform them that there son/daughter is dead because of a speeding motorist Not something that many people who criticise the Police could do! Hence why there are speed traps etc etc. I bet if any of you have received points/bans etc etc for speeding or other offences it has slowed you down or made you look at your driving in a more concentrated light. I know it did me.

With every road death there is a grieving family and lost loved ones that leave a legacy that lasts another lifetime. Every day, on average, 10 people are killed and around 120 are seriously injured in road accidents....why? Because people use the loud pedal when they should not!

I have not once been stopped in my Impreza for speeding or any other offence, this does not by any means of the imagination conclude that I am an angel because we all speed, sometimes without knowledge which is the dangerous part. Its all about driving within your abilities and remembering that the person in front who you may endanger by overtaking them after this bend has a family and it all to live for, so for the sake of arrival at your destination or that buzz of boost as you pass....is this truely worth it? Nope....is it ****e

Regards and speaking from experience of losing three friends in a serious speed related RTC

Ronnie
Old 11 January 2001, 11:57 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

There is always a good and a bad side to everything... Some services provide more good than bad, but nobody is perfect all of the time! Its a bugger when you get the later, but you imagine the quantity of cases the police deal with and how much preassure is on them 24x7 due to lack of resource, if you think you could do better, why not join them and help?

At the end of the day the government/local councils set the rules don't they? And the police follow them.. right? So shouldnt we be taking this up with the people that set the rules, not the people that enforce them?

IMHO, if I'm talking kak, I appologises, I agree it looks like motorists are being victimised at the moment, but I believe its the fault of the government ('s purse) not the police.

I'll get my coat...

[This message has been edited by DrEvil (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 01:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Motorist have and always will be a soft target for the government we are seen as an unlimited cash resource to be tapped as required. The Police seem to be at the mercy of whoever is in power so do not forget it at voting time!

Hers a thought
Perhaps the government should introduce the following system as it seems to work so well on the motorists.
Fixed penalty points for crimes
Burglary - 3
D&D -2 and so on
Sheep ******** - Picture in the local paper and 3 points
Fitting a scooby air intake onto a Nova - 11 points
at 12 points you go to jail
along with points a fixed penalty is issued, the police take you to a cash point or whatever and extract the cash.
The cash goes to the police.
How about a cash sum again working on a sliding scale based on the severity of the crime, is awarded on closing a case with a bonus for the conviction
This would incentivise crime reduction.

IMHO
I do not feel that the Police are at fault. They work with what they have (usually not much) and are subject to the whims of the government.

So my penalty system may have a few flaws to it. Want it to change - we need a party which really does want to sort out the law and order issues, etc.

Oh Bugger, forgot, there is not one is there.

I'll get my coat too...

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 01:18 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Paul H - LOL

PS. took my coat, forgot my car keys, hence came back
Old 11 January 2001, 01:19 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I don't think it's easy policing in any country. You have to force people not to do things they quite like doing!

However, the real chiller in this country at the moment are the attempts by some pressure groups to alienate the general law abiding public from the police. As I understand it, the police are "governed" by local police committees (or has that changed now?). These committees are usually made of zealots and appointees of one sort or another, the type who always manage to get themselves into those sort of positions (eg militant in Liverpool and so on.). Now, in addition to the spouting of the Home Office and assorted quacking politicians, the police MUST do as they are bid by the local police committee, heavily disguised with a dose of local government democracy, whilst maintaining certain standards of "general policing".

In my opinion, there's the rub. The minute the words "local government" are involved, money will be wasted at a rate of knots and the local "looney" fringe are on a roll spending everyone else's money on their pet projects, and they are virtually unaccountable in reality.

So we end up with situations where some towns have areas where the police cannot crack down on crime without the consent of local elders, representative families, or without taking with them a party of counsellors and all that sort of pseudo liberal crap.

The police cannot do anything other than police those who consent to be policed, their political masters and the judiciary will not support them. That means we have to.

I love the idea of just not breaking the law for a month, and I suppose that is a good solution. Perhaps we could get burglars etc. to do likewise?

In fact why don't the filming vans go and film local burglary targets, underpasses, car parks and so forth?

I wouldn't be a policeman. I thank God there are some people who will and I sincerely wish people would stop being duped into seeing "them" as the enemy. It is allowing the real "enemy" to achieve their aims, ie ignoring the law and spreading apathy and frustration amongst the police service. You don't think they all start out like that do you?

On a lighter note, did you read that the pillock who was royally towelled by Duncan Ferguson whilst burgling his house has got his family to press that Mr F used "undue force" when he punched his lights out, er I mean made a civil arrest? Fancy burgling a convicted thug, then moaning when he beats the crap out of you!!!
Old 11 January 2001, 01:38 PM
zippo
Scooby Regular

Angry

IMHO yes the police have to work with the resources that they are given. However I feel strongly about the 'entrapment' tactics employed by the police on numerous occations. Yes speed kills (ONLY IF YOU HIT SOMETHING - FACT!) I am not saying lets all go out and blitz the limit. Over the last few years, the amount of speed detection devices setup over the country and increased ten fold. What I want to know is:

1. Where is my scooby that was stolen last year?

2. Where is my video/DVD/telly and yes fish tank stolen last year.

3. Why was my brothers girlfriend mugged in 1998.

Now all these crimes happened/are real and peoples lives affected. When I break the speed limit by 6 mph and dont hit anything , who has lost out/who has suffered.

Quite frankly I would not give the cops the steam of my ****.

Moan over.....I am back to work.

Old 11 January 2001, 01:56 PM
Devils Advocate
Scooby Regular

I have to admit that the management and distribution of police resources leaves a lot to be desired.

The fundamentals of Police work are being ignored. I would strongly suggest that the Primary Objectives as defined in 1829 as part of the Metropolitan Police act are still valid and should very much be considered in all management decision making processes.

[This message has been edited by Devils Advocate (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 01:58 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RonaldoH:
<B>
With every road death there is a grieving family and lost loved ones that leave a legacy that lasts another lifetime. Every day, on average, 10 people are killed and around 120 are seriously injured in road accidents....why? Because people use the loud pedal when they should not!

Ronnie[/quote]

So, we are to assume from this comment that every single road death that has ever occurred is down to people speeding.

Sounds like just the sort of comment that has resulted in the concentrated badgering of the motorist that seems to be prevalent today.

blubs

Old 11 January 2001, 02:09 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Zippo in response:

Q1) Where is my scoob that was stolen a year ago?..a) probably was on a container before you realised it was nicked. Trackers work..trust me

Q2)Your DVD player etc etc?.. (and your fish tank ) are probably for sale in a shop on Tottenham court road for 1/2 price

Q3)Your brothers girlfriend .....a)Police cannot see and hear everything that goes in in the world and having been a victim of something similar and frighteningly violent a couple of years ago I can say it was because I was on my own in an area that I deemed safe. Clearly It was not, but I bet she was in a shopping centre right? or somewhere a little obvious? If not mugging tends to be in somewhat unsavoury areas of towns/citys etc etc.

What do all of the above highlight? That we live in a society where criminals roam...as we have done for years in this country..

I see your above points however police have an easier time dealing with motorists because 9 times out of 10 they are in fact 'caught in the act' or have witnesses. Burglars, Muggers and Car Thieves are somewhat less obvious in our community...except on that American program of the daftest criminals.

BLUBS!!!!!

Is there any need to be so ingnorant? That was a general fact. I am not a statistics boff and in general (Our resident Inspector from one of the Mets Traffic division will back me up here) speed kills, more in general than using your fog lights or having a slightly balding tyre! So go figure.

[This message has been edited by RonaldoH (edited 11 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by RonaldoH (edited 11 January 2001).]
Old 11 January 2001, 02:20 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Speed does not kill. Driver error does.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:22 PM
zippo
Scooby Regular

In reply to Ronaldo

1. I watched my old scoob performing the quickest 3 point turn ever witnessed and saw her driving down the road. I was talking to the police with my car STILL in view. When the cops arrived the first thing they asked me was did I have insurance. When I said yes they replied "Well no problem then". What do you mean no f**king problem? That makes it alright then?

2. Must agree with you here. Thinking about a shopping spree upto London to seek out some bargins I used to own.

3. It was an underpass in Stevenage and she was attacked by 3 or 4 men. Had her purse and phone stolen.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:22 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Here we go!Cem, bugger off!

Ps anyjoy with the maple leaf?
Old 11 January 2001, 02:27 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Zippo, the chances are the scoob is in Johanesburg or Nigeria by now

A chap in my establishment used to work for a car hire firm different to where he is now (mine ) and basically the Jaguar on their fleet went AWOL one night. Tracker activated and recovered in a container in Dover on its way to Nigeria. Sad state of affairs and having dealt with the boys in blue when some of our cars have gone missing the response and recovery has been nothing short of breathtaking.

As for the mugging, 4 on 1 is but as long as she was ok
Old 11 January 2001, 02:30 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I believe the point Ronnie is making is..

Inappropriate speed kills, not speeding in general! This is a point he, myself and others have stated time and time again..

For example MPV outside a school having dropped kids off doing 35 in 30, is dangerous... Impreza doing 90 on the M3 at 3am with no other cars around and good visibility, still against the law but not a danger... IMHO..

Speed will always be a factor in an accident unless your car is parked up at the side of the road!

Right, coat, car keys and ****.. I'm off now..

Old 11 January 2001, 02:50 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ronaldo H,

I believe ignorance is to be without all the relevant correct facts?

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was being spouty but your comment was a generalisation.

You can be a very careless and dangerous driver without speeding.

blubs

Old 11 January 2001, 02:53 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Everyone is saying speed kills - praps it does but what about all those dumba$$ pedestrians and kids that just step into or run across the road without looking and get hit by a car that is not speeding and is being driven sensibly, you still get the same result, one squashed person. Maybe they should concentrate more on educating Joe Public than nailing car drivers.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:54 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

RonaldoH,
That type of tripe is exactly why the police have been able to get away with punishing mostly innocent motorists over the years instead of tackling real, serious crime. If I'm doing 90 up the M1 at three in the morning, with no else around,apart from plod on abridge watching me, who exactly am I a danger to?

I've seen accidents at well under the legal limit, which were just caused by bad driving.

Have a look at this quote from a sitre linked to from another thread on this matter on this BBS

<B> A recent review of the causes of accidents (extracts available at
Old 11 January 2001, 03:10 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Geezer - did you read my post? Or are you quoting from experience of being stopped..

In my last post I just tried to give examples of speeding when it is inappropriate and not... although some would argue it is inappropriate all of the time.. me not included in that last comment.

As for pedestrians, slow moving and soft targets... cars - fast moving, solid machines that can break pedestrians... who do you think needs to be the most educated and aware? ... both do! IMHO

Rgds, Alex
Old 11 January 2001, 03:29 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

DrEvil,
I am quoting from experience.

As for your point about pedestrians, motorists are usually not to blame. It doesn't matter how vigilant you are, if someone steps out in front of you, then sometimes you will not be able to avoid hitting them, unless everybody drives around at 3MPH in built up areas.

I recently hit a young lad who came out of a junction in a housing estate on his bike like a bat out of hell. Luckily for him I was only doing about 15mph, but I still couldn't avoid him.

Speed does not, and cannot cause an accident. Bad driving/judgemnent/etc. does.

Geezer

Quick Reply: Underhand, and wrong!