Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a good site
Old 16 November 2000, 09:08 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Never mind good site, what a good name Please tell me you're getting a sun visor made up saying "turbo terrific"

(eyes mist over, back to the days of wacky races...)
Old 16 November 2000, 02:39 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Notts police have at least two saloons and a wagon all marked and an unmarked red saloon.

Spoke to an officer a couple of months back at a local hospital and he said the cars were modded although he hadn't heard PPP mentioned. I suspect though that the PPP is what they have fitted. The five door has standard twin tail pipes though.

Living near to the A38/M1 I see them in response mode often and they never seem to be holding back, may sound like a dream but I can imagine the stress levels are high with the standard of drivers on UK roads. I get stressed avoiding the plonkers at 30mph never mind 130mph.

Stuart H and co have my total respect, just a pity the police are let down by a few idiots in the panda's.

Lee
Old 16 November 2000, 03:23 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lee,

Does this look familiar??

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 16 November 2000).]
Old 16 November 2000, 03:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

That's one wagon I'd not like to see in the rear view mirror!

My brother reckons that he's seen a plod scooby around the Tunbridge Wells area, which is worrying. If I see it I might have a chat with the driver.
Old 16 November 2000, 05:45 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Saw one in Skipton - North Yorkshire a couple of weeks ago - fully marked .
Old 16 November 2000, 05:48 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

All well and good, but I got a bit of a shock when I saw a full "jam sandwich'd" Hampshire Police ....... Forester!!!!
Old 16 November 2000, 06:09 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Stuart
Anyone who gets nicked by that should be done for without due care never mind the speeding.

It's to be hoped the unmarked ones are driven by officers who apply appropriate discretion.

Fully agree with Lee, spoke to a guy who twice within the last week went in to confront someone suspected of having a gun.
One did!
I'm told the ARU will not deploy unless posession is confirmend. Blue serge uniform, no thanks, (both interpretations apply.

Regretably, traffic, crowd control or crime a few idiots incense the communities they serve and discredit the whole force.
Old 16 November 2000, 06:25 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Red face

Skipton Police have at least one marked Scooby Saloon and a DBM 'V' registered unmarked Scooby.

Unfortunately I've sat in the back of a marked one
Old 16 November 2000, 06:28 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stuart H

Not sure about some of your mods, those go faster stripes look suspiciously 'Max Power' to me ..
Old 16 November 2000, 06:32 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Wink

You haven't seen me in my reversed 'Police' baseball cap and bullet-proof puffa jacket!
Old 17 November 2000, 08:11 AM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Wink

Stuart H, I assume you are a member of the Constabulary, which begs the question do you agree to a maximum speed limit of 70 mph on an open road with no one around at 12 o'clock at night? (personnally)

Trev.

p.s. I don't condone breaking the speed limits, obviously, but getting to it as quick as possible could be fun.
Old 17 November 2000, 09:34 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Personally speaking, I do not agree with the 70mph as it stands. My opinions are not important however. I am paid to enforce the law and thats what I do (with discretion ).

The problems which first need addressing are those of driver attitude and general driving safety. I can think of people who <I>think</I> that they can safely do 90+ on a motorway. Fine, they may <I>think</I> they are able to control the car at that speed, but what happens if an accident happens in front of them or someone pulls into their lane? Ultimately, they end up killing themselves and others.

It shouldn't really matter what the time of day is, if driver attitudes and general driver training were improved we wouldn't have the problems (of the same magnitude) which we have now with speed related accidents IMHO.

I hope you can see it from my point of view, I have spent too many years in this job clearing up the aftermath of these sorts of accidents then having to go around to the relatives, tell them, conduct identifications of bodies etc.

The fact is, a motor vehicle is a <B>lethal weapon</B> and in the wrong hands (i.e someone who thinks they can rather than someone who <B>actually</B> can) and will kill.

(This is my personal opinion and is not endorsed by any Police Force)

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 17 November 2000).]
Old 17 November 2000, 05:54 PM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Stuart, totally agree with every thing you say. I personally think that more training and awareness needs to be done, for instance driving in the middle lane for no reason at all, I know people who have after just passing their test said "I thought you could drive in any lane you like" and be totally unaware of the fact that its an overtaking lane.

I myself have writen off a BMW because I wasn't being careful enough in the wet, I wasn't going perticularly fast, I just accelerated at the wrong time over a camber off of a roundabout and the back went out and I hit a tree sideways and only at about 40 mph. Thanks to this lucky escape (It was LHD I was unhurt and it was a company car), I now realise that your not as invincible as you think and I may have 250bhp under my foot but I ain't going to use it if its unsafe to.

Trev.