Sponsored by:

Sportwagon Query

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2008, 12:43 AM
mona
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportwagon Query

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie on the forum btw!

General question I am thinking of buying an Impreza, as I want a reliable motor for work, that doesn't look crap and doesn't bore me to tears.

I am currently driving (well, not until the engine gets fixed ) a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo - and I know there's a lot of banter in between the two forums with what's the fastest etc OK - and I KNOW people are going to say the Scooby here of course! so I'm not after the Turbo version - tempted as I am at times with the Fiat's fragile nature!

I'm interested in an older 2.0 Sportwagon as an interesting alternative to my current workhorse - a 1994 Audi 80 TDi Avant - with 208k on the clock, and a 2nd gearbox playing up! I am thinking of cutting my losses with that one, and buying a replacement car - the Scoob wagon being my current No1 choice.

Is there anything I need to look for in these models? What's desirable? What's dodgy? Are parts easy to get cheap (my guess no!)? What's the insurance and economy like? Do they drive well? Anything to avoid? What kind of mileage can they do? Are they reliable? Can they be modded easily/cheaply?

Any advice or guidance greatly received. Cheers everyone - hopefully I will be a Scoob driver soon then! (I've always liked the earlier one's, and this estate variant seems ideal, as well as looking good)
Old 02 February 2008, 12:58 AM
sportwagonred
Scooby Regular

can't speak for the earlier ones but my my03 wagon does anything from 19 to 26 to the gallon dependent on how I drive but it is a WRX and sometimes you just have to drive it like it's supposed to be driven -- hence the 19. Normally get about 24 over the tank full though. Most imprezas' appear to be quite reasonable on modding parts but being and old man I'm not involved in that particular field but plenty of advice will be forthcoming later from those in the know.
Old 02 February 2008, 09:50 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

impreza sport wagon 2.0 is reported to return upto 32mpg. I have a sport and IO get a regular 28-30mpg but ive got quite a heavy right foot I do have other toys should I wish to go faster though
Old 02 February 2008, 09:12 PM
nicholaswynn
Scooby Newbie

ive had a 2lt turbo jap inport for well over a year and a half, beeing a bit of an old git the insurance is £42 a month [so not dear] but its not to good on fuel im a bit heavey on the right foot. but im well inprest with it. i used to drive a nissan 200sx and the scooby beats it hands down in every thing :
Old 02 February 2008, 11:33 PM
Kit B
Scooby Regular

I've had mines for a year and loved evey minute of it. Get about 22 - 26 mpg with it and that's on short journeys .
On another note it's up for sale as it's not really getting used that much and i'd be better off with a wee cheap runaround for the miles i do..
It's in the for sale section..

Kit
Old 03 February 2008, 10:20 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

fuel economy is terrible even for standard cars...a Scoob is not a car to buy if you are on a tight budget

lots of decent wagons here though...good luck

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-here-113.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...rselfs-81.html
Old 05 February 2008, 05:49 PM
mona
Scooby Newbie

OK - thanks for the input so far people. So perhaps it might not be the car for me just at the moment, BUT I really do fancy one & they look damn fine for an estate. What's the 1.6 like then? Anyone care to comment?
Old 05 February 2008, 07:03 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mona
OK - thanks for the input so far people. So perhaps it might not be the car for me just at the moment, BUT I really do fancy one & they look damn fine for an estate. What's the 1.6 like then? Anyone care to comment?
don't do it unless you genuinely need 4WD, it will be slow and thirsty

Last edited by trails; 05 February 2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05 February 2008, 07:57 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

I've had a 2.0gx sport for 12 months, and I still grin every time I turn the key.

The mileage around town is crap (19-22mpg) but on a run it's better (30ish). It's never put a foot wrong and i've not managed to properly scare myself yet (not trying hard enough?).

Insurance is about £450 but that's not the cheepest I found (I'll ALWAYS insure with the NFU Mutual).
Old 05 February 2008, 08:24 PM
mona
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the honesty guys - yep, reason says that perhaps it's not what I need right at the moment (seeing as I am having the Fiat's engine out for work this week!) - perhaps one day I'll go for the full blown Turbo variant - I've always been Scooby-curious!

The insurance & parts(?) might be a bit cheeky, plus if that is the MPG you guys get, then I wiould probably not see the 30mpg's much! My Audi TDI can do up to 70 mpg - I am getting 42mpg the way I drive!!

Any suggestions for a suitable estate that won't break the bank & won't be ruinously expensive to run (without leaving me stranded on the hard shoulder) - plus looks sporty or classy! And yes, I DO want jam on it!!

Last edited by mona; 05 February 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:40 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

View My Scoob for an alternative.............eek!

There is a UK NA version 2l thats good for 30 MPG +. The diesel version Leggy is also out this month.