Shyould I Complain

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2006, 05:35 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shyould I Complain

Had ANOTHER accident in the Scoob

Approx 1.30 in te morning, dropping two mates home after the pub, single lane road with white diagonal lines between the two sides.

Doing 30 MPH, which must have annoyed the car following me, as people do tend to speed down this road in the early hours. He decided to overtake me just as a Padestrian crossing was coming up as he pulled alongside me. He then pulled into MY lane swipping my wing mirror, scrapping both driver doors and denting the rear quarter.

I came to a stand after the collision expecting him to do so also, he Didn't So i then had to chase him overtake him and brake in front of hime to stop him. As i got out of the car the F**ker tried driving off AGAIN.! At which point I took his keys of ignition. And called the police.

When the police arrived on site, i explained what had happened and the other guy also admitted to overtaking. We where both breathalized Etc, and details taken

My problem is that this guy admitted openly to driving like a noob, but the police refused to take any kind of written statement to this effect for me to pass to my insurance company to aid the claim. But when traffic turned up they spent nearly half an hour going round MY car trying to find fault.

I feel that had I overtaken and caused an accident whist exeding the speed limit i would have been nicked on the spot. It just felt like they couldnt be bothered at all.

Now i am left to deal with insurance companies as i just know he will contest liability and drab it on for an age. Also my excess is £1000 which i will have to pay untill this is sorted which if the police had have recorded more info it would have been automatically Non - fault

It was so clearly not my fault at the time but as time passes and people look at poxy diagrams rather than the real thing it becomes more clouded.

I really feel like complaing about the two officers that showed up, for their lack of interest in helping sort out a difficult situation and for not nicking the pratt that hit me.

Rant Over
Old 18 January 2006, 05:51 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Very difficult, feel sorry for you.

Not much you can do. Complain, but I can't see that getting anywhere.

Is he deniying the damage?, you may find the his insurance does not admit liability but will pay up.
Old 18 January 2006, 05:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
Very difficult, feel sorry for you.

Not much you can do. Complain, but I can't see that getting anywhere.

Is he deniying the damage?, you may find the his insurance does not admit liability but will pay up.
That would be contradicting themselves wouldnt it

What makes it worse he was driving a courtesy car so it is even more difficult.
Old 18 January 2006, 05:56 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
That would be contradicting themselves wouldnt it

What makes it worse he was driving a courtesy car so it is even more difficult.
All insurance companies say not to admit liability to anyone. Often when paying out to a third party they don't admit liability but pay out as a settlment. Its normal.
Old 18 January 2006, 06:11 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

im no expert but my opinion is as follows
technically the other driver failed to stop at the scene of an accident, and it was only down to your actions that the other driver was aprehended, in this case a rtc/rta report should have been taken, by the cops which should eventually lead to the other driver facing prosecution. this doesnt particularly help you, but may reafirm to your ins co that you was not to blame in any way. also both drivers should have been given producers for documents!
perhaps the cops were looking for other damage on your car, rather than trying to find fault. rather than complain why not contact the more "less arsey" cop and ask him if the report has been taken as you are aware that one should have been! this may push the cop into taking one. if not ask to speak to the inspector.
as for nickin the pratt, the cops didnt have anything to nick him for. hope this helps.
Old 18 January 2006, 07:24 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
im no expert but my opinion is as follows
technically the other driver failed to stop at the scene of an accident, and it was only down to your actions that the other driver was aprehended, in this case a rtc/rta report should have been taken, by the cops which should eventually lead to the other driver facing prosecution. this doesnt particularly help you, but may reafirm to your ins co that you was not to blame in any way. also both drivers should have been given producers for documents!
perhaps the cops were looking for other damage on your car, rather than trying to find fault. rather than complain why not contact the more "less arsey" cop and ask him if the report has been taken as you are aware that one should have been! this may push the cop into taking one. if not ask to speak to the inspector.
as for nickin the pratt, the cops didnt have anything to nick him for. hope this helps.
I thought the white diagonal lines seperating two lanes indicated no overtaking, so that mixed with speeding would be a nick in my eyes, and feel that if the shoe was on the other foot they wouyld have been glad to get a young Scooby driver rather than a middle aged man driving a Corsa

I will however take your advice and contact the Police station tomorrow and ask about this
Old 18 January 2006, 08:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Yes, complain. You were made to feel like the guilty party, the way the officers were inspecting your car looking for faults. You were being persicuted for driving a Impreza. If you'd been driving a Passat TDI, would you have come under so much scrutiny ???????

Also they didn't/couldn't be bothered to take a statement, even though a crime has been committed.

It probably won't do any good at the end of the day, but you might feel better having done something rather than nothing.
Old 18 January 2006, 08:39 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Jesus Cookie, you're having some bad luck.
Old 18 January 2006, 09:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

At the very least I would ensure that I had the collar numbers of the Police officers in question. They will be able to testify to the fact that the Corsa driver admitted liability. I might ask for their written confirmation that this happened.....

Simon
Old 18 January 2006, 09:56 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

write to the police standards officer! that should give it a kick up the ****
Old 18 January 2006, 10:04 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

If it is a "damage only" accident then most Police forces dont record them on paper. They only get recorded when it involves injury etc.
However, it sounds as though the other driver failed to stop after an accident which is a summary offence. In the heat of the moment are you sure that the officers didnt report him for summons? They might have gone back to the station and written up a summons file for him and you would be none the wiser?

Si
Old 18 January 2006, 10:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Take a few deep breaths and write/type it all down as a witness statement in a clear and formal fashion trying to keep it detailed, yet concise and giving approximate times and details of both vehicles and nameing the parties involved (name of other driver, name/id no. of police officers if you have them etc. ).

Making clear the points of him overtaking you, whilst your were travelling at 30mph in a 30mph limit, in a hazardous situation (crossing), and his car colliding, damaging the offside of your vehicle, and the driver failing to stop.

No need to give to much details of the chase, just that after the inccident the driver failed to stop and you followed him, and later had the opertunity to stop him, then report the inccident to the police.

This will serve several purposes - to keep the inccident fresh in your head, to use as part of your letter of complaint to the police's inactions (adding whatever you feel that police didn't do and should have done). And also to serve as a statement to yours and the 3rd party's insurance company.

If there were any passenger in the car, get them do the same.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 January 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 18 January 2006, 10:21 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Take a few deep breaths and write/type it all down as a witness statement in a clear and formal fashion trying to keep it detailed, yet concise and giving approximate times.

Making clear the points of him overtaking you, whilst your were travelling at 30mph in a 30mph limit, in a hazardous situation (crossing), and his car colliding, damaging the offside of your vehicle, and the driver failing to stop.

No need to give to much details of the chase, just that after the inccident the driver failed to stop and you followed him, and later had the opertunity to stop him, then report the inccident to the police.

This will serve several purposes - to keep the inccident fresh in your head, to use as part of your letter of complaint to the police's inactions (adding whatever you feel that police didn't do and should have done). And also to serve as a statement to yours and the 3rd party's insurance company.

What he said. And make copies.
Old 19 January 2006, 05:29 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Take a few deep breaths and write/type it all down as a witness statement in a clear and formal fashion trying to keep it detailed, yet concise and giving approximate times and details of both vehicles and nameing the parties involved (name of other driver, name/id no. of police officers if you have them etc. ).

I have done this, as have my two passengers that were in the car, luckily their account does matter as well, not as much as an independant witness, but it is something.

I did explain to the police that he faied to stop and i had to follow and stop him, but like i said they didnt care and even told me that had it been in the middle of the day they might have done something but this kind of driving is to be expected at this time of night.

Anyway, got my two quotes today and its not all bad
Old 19 January 2006, 05:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As well as the accout written whilst it was fresh in your mind; Id still suggest that you request written confirmation from the Police officers involved. Theyre hardy likely to lie and their confirmation will seal the outcome of a court case should the Corsa take the ever more common route and lie like a bastard!

Simon
Old 19 January 2006, 06:52 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

www.ineedagun.co.uk should sort this problem