Sponsored by:

That speeding advert; complain here

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2001, 03:13 AM
alter_ego
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

If you want to complain about <B>that</B> anti-speeding propaganda ad. see my post (39) on this thread:
Old 16 September 2001, 03:26 AM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

[This message has been edited by wheelwright (edited 16 September 2001).]
Old 16 September 2001, 03:33 AM
alter_ego
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wheelwright:
<B>if u think its ok to speed [/quote]
Didn't say it was, I'm complaining about lying political propaganda.

A_E

Old 16 September 2001, 09:45 AM
Scoobyebye
Scooby Regular

Quite happy for them to enforce 30 and 40 with a passion - they are there for very good reasons. Then as a compromise - de restrict the A roads and motorways.

Scoobyebye
Old 16 September 2001, 09:45 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wheelwright:
<B>ok why speed? having lost my 8 year old niece too a speeding motorist in a 40mph zone, who thinks it right to speed? if u think its ok to speed e-mail me at andy@007andy.freeserve.co.uk and i'll meet you wherever you want for a chat about why its ok to speed.[/quote]

Or do it here?

I think it's OK to speed, I think it is appalling that you volunteer forward the fact that your niece was killed by a speeding motorist in the same way that I think it is shameful at the way "anti-speed" crusaders parade parents of children who were killed by "speeders".

I think I'm sensible, competent, and sufficiently trained to judge for myself when to 'speed' (or more importantly when not to). The issue to be adressed is dangerous driving, (which includes a judgement element), not speed.

The facts are that most accidents are caused by pedestrians, most AREN'T speed caused. (other than the obvious fact that you can't have an accident if you aren't moving).

Mike.
Old 16 September 2001, 09:58 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I got stopped for speeding last year in a residential area by a non-traffic policeman in Hinckley. He had followed me for about 2 miles and clocked my average speed as 43 mph in a 30 limit.

Luckily, he just gave me a 7 day wonder, but that experience shocked me into slowing down when in a 30 mph zone, rather than any advert. (I felt like I was at school again getting a telling off from my head master!) Granted, the advert is shocking and if it wasn't for the comments on here, I would never know the facts were false. But if it stops the countless numbers of deaths on our roads every year where speed is a factor, then surely it has a point.

I agree with you Mike that you have to use your own judgement when applying pressure to the accelerator pedal. We all know of places where we can speed without too much danger, but I don't believe that down your local high street or outside the local school is appropriate.

[This message has been edited by Clarebabes (edited 16 September 2001).]
Old 16 September 2001, 10:17 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Clarebabes:
<B>We all know of places where we can speed without too much danger, but I don't believe that down your local high street or outside the local school is appropriate.
[/quote]

I agree with those comments, with the small caveat that what is wrong with 40mph past the local school at 2AM in the morning, or down the empty, well lit main road at a similar time?

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 16 September 2001).]
Old 16 September 2001, 10:26 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Tuckwood:
<B>
I agree with those comments, with the small caveat that what is wrong with 40mph past the local school at 2AM in the morning, or down the empty, well lit main road at a similar time?

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 16 September 2001).][/quote]

OK agreed, but if you go down my local high street at 3 am, you have more chance of knocking a drunk teenager over than a child! I think we are saying that there is a time and a place for speed. We have to use common sense as to when that is.
Old 16 September 2001, 10:35 AM
alter_ego
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Clarebabes:
<B>
Luckily, he just gave me a 7 day wonder,...

I would never know the facts were false. But if it stops the countless numbers of deaths on our roads every year where speed is a factor, then surely it has a point.
[/quote]

He didn't prosecute you because he couldn't.
If it wasn't a traffic car, it's unlikely that it had a calibrated (and regularly checked) speedo.

"The end justifies the means" does not excuse a misleading advert. Anyway, even if it did, who is going to decide when a misleading advert is O.K. and when it's not.
Old 16 September 2001, 10:48 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry Mike, not convinced.....

You aren't the best judge as to whether or not to speed.

Whether you (or anybody else for that matter) like it or not, the law dictates the speed limits.

Deal with it.

Dan (yes, I've got points - 2xsp30s. Don't speed anymore )
Old 16 September 2001, 11:07 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by alter_ego:
<B> He didn't prosecute you because he couldn't.
If it wasn't a traffic car, it's unlikely that it had a calibrated (and regularly checked) speedo.

"The end justifies the means" does not excuse a misleading advert. Anyway, even if it did, who is going to decide when a misleading advert is O.K. and when it's not.[/quote]

I know he couldn't prosecute, but it still made me sit up and think.

Perhaps this advert can get away with misleading information because it is in the public interest. I would like to see what complaints the ITC would receive if it was a soap powder ad.
Old 16 September 2001, 11:08 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ok,

Anti speeding propaganda does wind me up some what. Whilst I agree that there lots of locations where speeding or even travelling at the speed limit is dangerous (eg, I don't think I have ever seem someone do 30 on my street it just has to many parked cars and is too narrow!), A lot of roads near me have had their speed limits cut dramatically in the past couple of years (eg 70 to 50, 60 to 40), this was in order to ease traffic congestion and has not worked, even slightly!

These roads now have speed camera and occasional speed traps, but only at times of day when traffic can move freely, never at peak times.

I think a lot more consideration should be put in when planning speed limits, one of the Schools near us now has a timed 20 mph zone, which works very well, when the kid and are coming and going the limit is 20, otherwise it is 30. The traffic does slow down because motorists can appreciate the need for the zone.

There are also a lot of 30 limits which are pointless because the road never has pedestrians/cyclists on, it is these roads (and not the ones in front of schools) which the police near me target with there speed traps.

And yes I will be getting my complaint in, not because I disgree with speeding where the advert is set, but because it is being used to reinforce a lye.

Jon
Old 16 September 2001, 11:21 AM
Scoobyebye
Scooby Regular

I think I'm sensible, competent, and sufficiently trained to judge for myself when to 'speed' (or more importantly when not to). The issue to be adressed is dangerous driving, (which includes a judgement element), not speed.

The facts are that most accidents are caused by pedestrians, most AREN'T speed caused. (other than the obvious fact that you can't have an accident if you aren't moving).

Mike.[/B][/QUOTE]

Mike

I hear what you are saying but how do you police this. Everyone on here will say they are a good driver.... some won't be. How many people have had advanced driver tuition, hazard recognition ????

How do you judge. Can't be age related like insurance. I sat along side a 20 year old lad (Mark Higgins) who would have insurance of three times that of a 65 year old bloke - bit of a joke. So when it comes to legal issues how do you make objective rather than subjective judgements?

I would like to think that the law are subjective in a common sense sort of way (not always)... don't see many calibrated speed traps outside our local schools at 2.00 am.

For an accident to happen two objects have to occupy the same space at the same time. To avoid the collision either one of the objects has to change it's timing or course.
So if a pedestrian is at fault (and they quite often are) then surely as a driver of a 1 tonne piece of metal with 280BHP we need to be listening to the law, however right or wrong. The law has to be on the side of the minority and that will always be the 4 year old pedestrian who cannot make that call.

No I am not in the police

Yes I do speed - but I try not to do it in 30 and 40 zones and I have made sure I have been trained to drive properly on the roads but I cannot say that I deserve special treatment in the eyes of the law

6 points

Scoobyebye
Old 16 September 2001, 06:27 PM
Luke
BANNED

I am sorry for anyone that looses a relative etc in an accident. But Roads are Very dangerous places.
I believe that the following should be made law.

1. ALL (Children inc) cyclists should have to pass a test before being allowed on the road.

2. Children should be made to do it every year.

3. All cyclists should be insured including children.

4. Driver should be fined (even if they are strapped in)if passengers are not wearing saftey belts
5.More pedestrian crossings and fines for not using them.

6. A much harder driving test.

7. re-tests every year for those over 75.

Old 16 September 2001, 07:03 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Tuckwood:
<B>I think I'm sensible, competent, and sufficiently trained to judge for myself when to 'speed' (or more importantly when not to). [/quote]

I'm sure thats very true. Unfortunately, the majority of the rest of the population do not abide by the same principles.

(I have 8 points, all on Motorways)
Old 16 September 2001, 07:10 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Luke:
<B>

1. ALL (Children inc) cyclists should have to pass a test before being allowed on the road.

2. Children should be made to do it every year.

3. All cyclists should be insured including children.

[/quote]

I totally agree with this test for cyclists and that they need insurance.

I was hit by a cyclist - a teenager, and I was totally faultless. There was a nice dent in my car and he rode off without any serious injury - I did not get the opportunity to find out his address or anything.

It annoyed me because even if I had've got his name and address, what could I have done? Gone round to his parents and told them to pay? I don't know whether there are any laws relating to this, but his parents probably would have told me to pi$$ off.

Perhaps there should be road tax for cyclists as well?
Old 16 September 2001, 07:24 PM
Luke
BANNED

Oh, yes. MOT's on Bicycles.
Old 16 September 2001, 08:45 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, I pretty much agree with most of that.... my point though, was not "I'm a good driver so should be allowed to speed" it was that a blanket dumbing down of the driver is worse than useless.

Let's look at the actual problem though. It is ludicrous to blame drivers when studies have shown that Speed plays only a (single figure) percentage in the cause of accidents.

To get back on topic, the money would be better spent giving additional advanced driver training, and educating pedestrians Etc.

Why do you think the states have jaywalking laws?