Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

read this, disturbing but read it :(

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2003, 09:18 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please read. This is the disturbing results of drink driving.

http://www.expressen.nu/html/bildarkiv/Saburido.htm

http://www.austin360.com/aas/special...ui/index2.html

[Edited by danny-boy - 1/28/2003 9:19:38 PM]
Old 28 January 2003, 09:23 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

excuse me while i just go a chuck!!!

dan thats sick
Old 28 January 2003, 09:27 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

No offence but what's the point?
Didn't even wait to the pics loaded. Any sane person knows DD is madness but then again so is racing on the roads but threads of that nature are common place.
Old 28 January 2003, 09:27 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate.

But seeing that is the best deterrent ever. To be honest I use just have one and drive, but after seeing that, I aint ever have one.
Old 28 January 2003, 09:35 PM
importsti
Scooby Regular

Tough to see it may be and although it easy not to see this sort of thing, we should remember that reckless driving, drunk or not can have serious repercussions.

I include myself in this, 300BHP and 4wd Scooby can sometimes make us believe that the Scoob is invincible and that the public road is a racing track.

We have to continually remind ourselves to judge the road, conditions and our speed. A car can be a lethal weapon.

I've actually sold my Scooby because with a child on the way I was finding it increasingly difficult not exploit the cars potential. Time for more self control.

Old 28 January 2003, 09:46 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

OMG!!
Very Brutal !!

Ive never drunk and got in a car but this leaves me feeling guilty of the times of spirited driving in areas where I shouldnt of been doing spirited driving.

So beautiful too
Old 28 January 2003, 10:00 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Thats really eye opening - most people think of DD deaths, not the consequences for the people who survive.

I guess this applies to sober owners of powerful cars who road race - we are all guilty of this at some point

I'm really saddened people here 'feel the need to chuck' - its just the kind of comment that makes accident victims' lives hell.

OK, off my high horse now.
Old 28 January 2003, 10:29 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Seen it before and it's very sad!!!

IMO, I don't think it hurts to remind people from time to time the potential consequences of reckless and drunk driving!!!

Matt.
Old 28 January 2003, 10:38 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

I dont want to mock what happened to her, but as if drink driving is the only thing that causes accidents. We all know speeding causes them...just ask the government.
There are many things that cause accidents and drink driving is probably a very small contributor. I dont see very many campaigns against driving under the influence of drugs or similar?? It is alos a disgrace that when a sumbag steals a car, and kills/maims someone, the press etc and the law simply treat it as another accident. When someone steals a car, and injures someone, then it should be treated totally different, as they are in my eyes, deliberately going out to do harm. I also dont see many campaigns to get incompetent drivers off the roads...In fact, they publicise some of them on tv with tv programs about people who took 300 goes to get their driving test. If it takes someone that many times to pass the test, then it should be clear that they are totally unsafe drivers, and should never be allowed behind the wheel of a car.
The same applies to crap cars, and also crap tyres etc. Just because a tyre has a legal amout of tread doesnt make it safe. I have had some brand new tyres on cars that were absolute rubbish, and should never have been allowed for sale. Subarus etc do flatter the driver, and also encourage driving faster, but at normal speeds, they would be much safer cars than the majority of cars on the road.
Accidents are usually caused, so better driver training, is the only answer to reducing the numbers but this doesnt pocket the government revenue. Also the conditions of the roads is also a contributing factor, as most of the roads here are a bloody disgrace. If roads where properly maintained, then things would also be better im sure.
Motoring groups should be pressing the government for better driver training for everyone, and education about the effects of drink driving and accidents in general. Perhaps skid training, and techniques to help avoid potential accidents, rather than crucifying them afterwards. If they didnt let the idiots on the road in the first place without adequate training, then most accidents probably wouldnt happen.
Im not saying Im a perfect driver, but after having 2 very bad accidents early in my driving life, I did learn that cars can be very dangerous and need to be treated with respect, and would say that I am generally a quite cautious driver.

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 1/28/2003 10:42:49 PM]
Old 28 January 2003, 11:05 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Thats so sad.

It's a good reminder of what not to do
Old 28 January 2003, 11:11 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I don't find it sick at all !

perhaps it might wake some of the ones who do it, up !

If one person stops and thinks, because of this site it's worth it !

Andy
Old 28 January 2003, 11:38 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

well i have seen some before and after pictures on many topics..but that was nasstttyy...but..as i write this..its already faiding in my memory...quick shock..keeps the parents and relatives of those effected happy...but to be honest..like most..the image and story of that girl will go into the back of the mind once we get in our own car...till..god willing ,no one has to go threw or know someone that that sort of thing happens too...we recall it...due it being exactly what has happend to a friend or loved one..D.D..needs to brought to the attention...at all times of all drivers..like wearing seat belts..driving whilst on drugs......but..we get told..dont drink and drive and drive slow and all will be great...not true..drug's...poor servicing of cars..not taking account of a cars limits..road conditions( weather / up keep of road by council )other drivers.. are also factors..not walking across roads..so on so on..driving is dangerous..we hope that all drivers take as much care us we do..but we know they dont..as we dont always..one thing i know i can't beat in a race..death!!!...and hey..dont have nightmares..
Old 28 January 2003, 11:41 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

stevie,

Very well said!!!!!!!

Matt.
Old 28 January 2003, 11:44 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with the post above by stevieturbo. Without doing down the circumstances of this sad occurence, however with 100s of millions of human beings around the world, even stone cold sober, rushing about at relatively high speeds in tin boxes accidents with the same end result as this will happen. That happening to you or I is just as probable as it was for her. Its the risk we take in driving.
Old 28 January 2003, 11:51 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I second that
well said Stevie
Old 28 January 2003, 11:54 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

...tear jerking stuff. In a similar vane,anyone noticed the amount of flowers tied to lamposts/poles/trees/railings/..../..../..../....,spine tingling stuff,remember!!...It CAN happen to you/you CAN cause it to happen to someone else.Observation,Anticipation,Speed and Position,should be your mantra.High mileage will exploit the smallest of risks over time,or, what i have learned is that being what some might call too carefull eventually pays off big style,and eventually that "pointless" braking at jct's,trailing of brakes etc "excessive" covering of the brakes will have a passenger saying how did you know that person was going to pull out etc,it seems to them like pre-cognition when you brake lightly for no apparent reason only for it to turn into an emergency stop one day that will save your bacon by inches,time/mileage WILL punish sloppiness,don't learn the hard way.Sorry if this sounded like a sermon but it is so true.That poor girl..

[Edited by matty01 - 1/28/2003 11:59:51 PM]
Old 29 January 2003, 12:31 AM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

Although off the point slightly, wouldnt it be good if they revised the Driving Test.
Where I live its quite Rural with the nearest motorway being 100 odd miles away, meaning you can past your test having never driven on one before. Remembering the first time my girlfriend went to the city after passing her test and I was white knuckle all the way.
I think some basic 'out of the ordinary, control skills' would also be good.
A practical test on the car itself, ie wheel changing, oil filling, brake checking, General knowlege stuff to us enthusiasts but you will be amazed at what people dont know.
Also I would change the Law so that you werent even aloud one drink if driving.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:36 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Er every1 passes test without havin been on motorway learners aint allowed on em!
Shock tactics r always a good way 2 get peoples attention especially when it is real & i dont think the fact that accidents happen in other circumstances is the point of this it is that D&D will increase rediculously the chance of it happening as may well speed etc etc.
Si
Old 29 January 2003, 11:02 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Very very sad, I too was the victim of a drunk driver in 1996, He hit me head on at over 100mph.
Unlike the young lady in the pics I was very lucky, my vehicle did not catch fire, but if it did i don't think i would be here today, I still bear the mental scars and I hope someday they will go away but at the moment they have come back to haunt me, I was so badly trapped at one point I thought i was going to lose my right leg, I was trapped for 3 hours whilst the fire brigade and paramedics fought to save my life, If these pictures just save one life, then that has to be a bonus, as i said very sad but it happens every day on our roads and the sooner people wake up to this the better things will be for everyone.
Cheers
Colin
Old 29 January 2003, 11:19 AM
58GT
Scooby Regular

About 18 years ago I was so drunk at a party I got in my car and drove 3 miles home without ever actually realising I was MUCH too drunk to even walk in a straight line, let alone drive. Next morning I woke up (eventually) and was in total shock when I realised what I had done. My life would have been completely changed had I been either caught or had crashed.

Never done it since but I'm continually amazed at the poor drivers I see every day. No-one gives a toss for 30 and 40 mph speed limits and no-one seems to have the slightest idea of the consequences of their inappropriate speed or road position or observation. Neither are these qualities limited to Max types in baseball caps either, idiots come in all ages and sexes.

For a while I rode sports bikes and I did a couple of high performance courses which are a real eye opener, but now all I can say about my infatuation with bikes is that I survived.

Don't get me wrong I still like speed but NEVER in town, NEVER on crowded roads and ALWAYS with a weather eye on the possible consequenses. I used to think how clever it would be to get somewhere in the shortest possible time. Now I just aim to survive.
Old 29 January 2003, 01:48 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

I think that this thread should be kept at the top, to ensure that as many ppl as possible read it and hopefully learn from it!

As others have said, it's not just DD that's the problem and these issues need to be viewed equally by the Government and the General Public alike.

BB
Old 29 January 2003, 02:12 PM
Tom D
Scooby Newbie

That's very unfortunate, I know what you mean about trying to get everywhere fast, I've been driving 4 two years now, and I look back and realise the amount of times i could have caused some serious accidents, I don't tend to speed now, only when i feel it's safe, I think spending alot of time on forums such as these is good for young people, cos' it's generally not acceptable by people on here to tell people about a race you had at 100mph in a 30mph which is good, I feel that alot of my friends won't learn as they don't go on the internet.........

can i redirect you to a thread on corsasport about a drivert of a certain make of car.....maybe he thinks he can drive cos' he has a scooby (post referring to is near bottom !)

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=45901
Old 29 January 2003, 03:36 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

why don't we just scrap all the discussions on cars and only post horrific car crash pictures and before and after pictures of people who've been seriously injured. Then just keep the pictures at the top to remind us all what happened to Scoobynet.
Old 29 January 2003, 05:58 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i remember being in Paris a couple of years ago and the govt there was so appauled at the carnage in the city that they exhibited about 20 mangled cars down the sides of the Champs Elyeese. Sorta made you think a bit.

cheers

big sinky
Old 29 January 2003, 10:59 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Words fail me.......
Old 29 January 2003, 11:49 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well...that is the first time I have cried in years.

That really really makes you think.
Is driving really worth it?

Old 30 January 2003, 12:06 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

can i redirect you to a thread on corsasport about a drivert of a certain make of car.....maybe he thinks he can drive cos' he has a scooby (post referring to is near bottom !)

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=45901
Yeah and the guy in the Xsi was a model citizen . I had a guy in an old golf GTI come tearing alongside me on the hatched bit of a dual carriageway as it was reducing to single carriageway (one lane each side). I could easily have booted it and not let him in "cos he was driving like a ****" but he'd have run out of road and either belted the armco in the centre of the road or desperately tried to get back into lane (where I would be) and either killed himself or both of us. Still at least I'd have died knowing I was the one driving sensibly .

I just think it's rediculous the way people think it's OK to put other people's lives in danger and possibly their own just because the other guy was driving like a pr1ck. I see that kind of driving now and again, probably because idiots fancy having a go at a scooby and are prepared to do stupidly dangerous things just to try and prove something. Well personally I braked in the situation above rather than accelerated, and am ashamed to admit a golf gti got in front of me . Maybe it was the image in my mind of the guy clipping the front of my car when pulling into lane that done it but it was an instinctive reaction rather than "quick block him out and let him deal with the consequences"......

There's more than one way to drive like a kn0b
Old 30 January 2003, 12:37 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

This has already been posted in non scooby. Locking duplicate post.