Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2009, 01:02 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Boxster Tiptronic?

Does anyone here own one or driven one?

Experiences good (and not so good).

Considering a Boxster for my Wife's 40th birthday (next June), or replace her SLK 320 (2000 "X" registration) with a SLK 350.

Old 28 October 2009, 01:23 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driven both in auto format. Owned a manual Boxster also, and the in-laws have an auto SLK350 which I drive from time to time.

In terms of gearbox they are similar in response, and gear change. Unless you go for a PDK boxster that is!

The main difference is the SLK can have a 7 speed auto, where as the Boxster is a 5 speed auto. This gives the SLK a bit of an edge when it come to a straight line - IMHO.

BUT.... I really dont rate the SLK. The interior build quality is not upto standard. Its a bit on the flimsy side and the sat nav is a button-fest.

I also dont like the feel of the SLK. Its fast, but it just feels a bit odd. Not much feedback, and it feels heavy. Sounds quite nice though. Air scarf system is nice.

The Boxster on the other hand, feels a lot more nimble. Its also a bit more practical, as it has 2 "boots" and the roof does not take up any boot space like in the SLK. Better brakes on the Boxster and much nicer dash (IMHO).

I LOVE the balance of the Boxster, and the engine note is also nice. Even better with optional PSE.

I would also expect the SLK to depreciate a bit faster. Running costs are going to be a bit more on the Boxster. So in the grand scheme of things very similar once all is said and done.

Overall, I would give the Boxster (S or non S) 8/10, it gets deducted 2 points because PDK is a lot better and also loses a 1/2 point for lack of hard roof and 1/2 for costs and I would give the SLK350 6.5/10, mainly losing points for lack of storage, handling and interior crapness.

Old 28 October 2009, 01:28 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brilliant - thank you.

Just what I was after.
Old 29 October 2009, 11:06 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

You couldn't of asked for a better reply could you mate! Nice one
Old 30 October 2009, 08:36 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You can always add a fixed roof to a Boxster, if thats something that you need.
Old 30 October 2009, 10:14 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm just gob smacked that you're buying your wife a sports car for her birthday! Mine's lucky if she gets a box of Black Magic LOL
Old 30 October 2009, 10:38 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I'm just gob smacked that you're buying your wife a sports car for her birthday! Mine's lucky if she gets a box of Black Magic LOL
Deep

We have been married for 10 years in July 2010 and in that time she has only had 2 cars.

Also, a lot of "Brownie Points" can be earned on such a purchase.

Her SLK was made when Mercedes-Benz quality/build was at a low level.

Corrosion on rear wheel arches/boot lock/A pillars, alloys have lost their "shine", a few issues with power steering auxiliary belt and the car feeling a bit "old" (65,000 miles is not high mileage for a 2000 model year), and wife only does 2,000 miles per annum.

I like the Boxster very much, and if cash permiits I would like to go for a facelift version.

Others I have considered (she likes a car with abit of va va voom):
Budget (that dreadful British disease (not talking about money), say maximum of £25,000):
Audi TT
A4
CLK
330Ci
320Ci
M3 SMG
911 Tiptronic (993).

Anything else to consider?

A few Boxsters have the hard top option which would be good when we came to sell on in a few years.
Old 30 October 2009, 12:07 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Maserati 4200GT.

Pistonheads have 2 dealers offering 2004 cars with 30,000 miles @ 24k and 32,000 miles @ 22k. Make sure you get it serviced prior to purchasing though.
Old 30 October 2009, 12:49 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Ok i've never driven a Boxster Tiptronic so maybe i'm not the best person to comment on this but i know that people slate them as the change is sluggish etc. this if you have a look is reflected in the values and resale values of these cars. they tend to be miles cheaper than a similar manual version.

Does it have to be a tiptronic????
Old 30 October 2009, 01:11 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Ok i've never driven a Boxster Tiptronic so maybe i'm not the best person to comment on this but i know that people slate them as the change is sluggish etc. this if you have a look is reflected in the values and resale values of these cars. they tend to be miles cheaper than a similar manual version.

Does it have to be a tiptronic????
Yep agree with the values being lower.

She has said she likes the tiptonic gearbox in the SLK and probably would not want to go back to manual.
Old 30 October 2009, 02:07 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

1) I wouldn't put a 993 on the list. Don't think you want your wife driving around in a car that old in case of break downs. Also might get some big bills and the interior is not very ergonomic or plush.

2) I think you also need to decide what kind of gearbox she likes. Whatever quality problems you had on the slk, mercedes make fantastic auto boxes with very smooth changes. she may not however like, for example, the smg. My car is smg, and its VERY differerent to my previous car which was an auto mercedes. What I'm trying to say is smg is very different to tiptronic, and both are different to a well sorted auto box.

3) If she likes a spirited drive then the boxster has to be the one in terms of agility, balance etc but just make sure she 'gets on with' the tip.
Old 30 October 2009, 02:30 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
1) I wouldn't put a 993 on the list. Don't think you want your wife driving around in a car that old in case of break downs. Also might get some big bills and the interior is not very ergonomic or plush.

2) I think you also need to decide what kind of gearbox she likes. Whatever quality problems you had on the slk, mercedes make fantastic auto boxes with very smooth changes. she may not however like, for example, the smg. My car is smg, and its VERY differerent to my previous car which was an auto mercedes. What I'm trying to say is smg is very different to tiptronic, and both are different to a well sorted auto box.

3) If she likes a spirited drive then the boxster has to be the one in terms of agility, balance etc but just make sure she 'gets on with' the tip.
Thanks Deep

Best if she has test drive of a few to see which one* she prefers.

*Boxster appears to be favourite on here at the moment.
Old 30 October 2009, 02:47 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Not driven an SLK but i've driven a Boxster on a few occasions although like i said a manual, despite the usual hairdresser jibes, or my clios just as fast blah, blah they are one of the best cars i have ever driven, ok not super quick but the handling is just sublime and as for the brakes!!!! oh and it also sounds amazing on full chat.

Get a full check over prior to buying, make sure its not got the dreaded RMS problem and you'll love it.

By the way my mates used to get nigh on 30mpg if taking it easy, the only things which are expensive are brakes and tyres. Oh and if just under 50k make sure its had its 48k service - i think its a big 'un and around 6-700 notes or thereabout.

Buy one, you wont regret it!
Old 30 October 2009, 03:02 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Not driven an SLK but i've driven a Boxster on a few occasions although like i said a manual, despite the usual hairdresser jibes, or my clios just as fast blah, blah they are one of the best cars i have ever driven, ok not super quick but the handling is just sublime and as for the brakes!!!! oh and it also sounds amazing on full chat.

Get a full check over prior to buying, make sure its not got the dreaded RMS problem and you'll love it.

By the way my mates used to get nigh on 30mpg if taking it easy, the only things which are expensive are brakes and tyres. Oh and if just under 50k make sure its had its 48k service - i think its a big 'un and around 6-700 notes or thereabout.

Buy one, you wont regret it!
Good + sound advice - thank you.

I am checking this site:

Boxster (had a 911 Super Sport from them in 2003).