Sponsored by:

Views on auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2000, 04:50 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've never thought of driving an automatic, especially an Impreza. But seing that the new model offers a 'tiptronic' style, I'm having a rethink.

Looking at the 0-60 figures for other cars, the tiptronic versions take longer. Does this mean that the auto gearchange is slow or is it just to do with gear ratios?

Can anyone offer any technical reasons why the tiptronic Scoob would have worse acceleration than the manual?
Old 11 October 2000, 05:17 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dippy,

A mate of mine had a TypeR automatic!! It was ace until the 'box blew and was stuck in first. The 'box was sweet and kicked down nice and early. Once on the boil, there is little in it between the manual and auto, but I'd rather stir a gear lever!!

BTW, once the auto box went pop, it was replaced with a manual one. Does this say something?

Cheers

Matt
Old 11 October 2000, 05:31 PM
Luis
Scooby Newbie

Smile

...I was driving an automatic 2.0L Impreza for three years. Got it by "accident" (it's a company car) but after getting used it isn't bad at all. I was especially suspicious about driving an auto in the snow and ice, but it goes just fine. For "offensive" driving in the city traffic it is quite good in combination with an AWD and boxer engine(for those traffic light races on icy streets in winter!). But then again, it has quite different AWD then manual (more FWD-like), so my next Impreza (to be delivered next week) is going to be manual...for a change.. LOL
Old 11 October 2000, 07:44 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've got a WRX automatic - they are fairly rare....

I like it but maybe that's just me being a lazy sod.

It is a conventional auto (rather than a tiptronic) and from a standing start it is definitely slower than a manual car. Once moving though, it is very quick - kickdown immediately drops you back on boost so overtaking is a cinch.

Gearing is approximately at the same level as an STi (with only four gears though) and top end is 120mph even with the speed restrictor removed (the auto box has a ECU and limiter also).

If you think a manual scoob is thirsty - try an auto for fuel bills! (the BRD Link has rescued me from impending bankrupcy.. )

It also makes brake upgrades a lot more important due to lack of engine braking...

One of my mates has a tiptronic FTO which is good but the requirement to keep the revs up to make decent progress makes it more important than in a Scoob IMHO.

Maybe we will now be able to buy UK turbo autos which can only be a good thing in the interests of greater choice.

Incidentally, the Police in Australia use them along with drag racers......

Thanks

Gavin
Old 11 October 2000, 08:14 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If providing a greater choice gets more Imprezas on the road then good but the tiptronic will stil only have 4 gears and like it or not they still drive like an auto when you hit the throttle.There is no real direct connection between gearbox and the wheels.An auto WRX is very very rare by the way.
Regards
Kevo
Old 12 October 2000, 12:17 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Dippy,

I'm no expert but Auto will be slower than manual for a number of reasons.

Tiptronic type 'boxes as fitted to Porsches, BMW's, Audis and more are basically your standard type auto with fluid filled torque convertor in place of clutch plate and diaphram (sp?)but with either button or lever actuation for gear selection. The idea of tiptronic being do give some manual control over conventional auto box.

Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, BMW (I think on m3) and some city cars are now available with paddle/button/lever operated gearboxes which are affectively manual 'boxes and have a clutch plate, but gear selection and cluch operation is by electrohydraulic actuation.

Conventional Autos are generally slower because energy is lost in the torque converter, whereas the latter type are pretty much on a par (and possibly faster) as changes can be made in less time than by your average human being. Many conventional Autos also have less ratios, although there are a number of 5 speed autos around now.

AFAIK The tiptronic scoob is an update of the existing conventional type auto and will have a torque convertor (but I could be wrong) and will therefore be subject to energy loss between engine and wheels as a result = less power at wheels.

Should also point out that many auto 'boxes are a bit heavier than manuals too.

Hope this helps

D
Old 12 October 2000, 12:51 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I drive an auto (not a scoob though), and in normal driving, and even hard driving, there is nothing between the auto and the manual. OK, on paper the manual should be faster than the auto, but the auto allows for for more consistent changes, and, once you've sussed out the behaviour of the box, allows you to drive the car harder and faster. I took a manual version of my car (89 Supra) out with me a Trax 2000, and I quite quite definitely say that had I been in my car, I would have been a lot faster round the track, due to not having to muck about getting the right gear, and instead being able to concentrate on track position.
Old 12 October 2000, 01:19 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

Beef,
Do you wear a flat cap and have tartan slippers by chance?

Geezer
Old 12 October 2000, 03:58 PM
Moss
Scooby Regular

Biggest problem with an auto is the lack of engine braking, which can be a real handicap when driving fast. Also the brakes on an auto take a much greater hammering and will show up particularly as brake fade with the inadequate standard setup.