Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance & Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 01:38 PM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A chap at work has just bought a Boxster S (having previously owned a Scooby Turbo & Evo VI). He thinks the Boxster is the quicker car. I am sure you can get the power down easier in the Scooby and think the in-gear acceleration times must be better. The official Porsche figures are quoted for 80-120 kph & 100-200 kph (a combination of 6/5/4 gears). Has anybody got any similar figures for the Scooby?
Don't normally get into threads like this - mine is faster than yours etc. but I for one did not realise what a quick car the Boxster S is.

.Richard
Old 16 August 2001, 01:42 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

The BoxsterS is a quick car, and quicker (straight line) than a std or mildly modded UK Turbo, but not quicker than an EVO6/STi/modded-UK.

A neighbour has a BoxsterS and couldn't keep up with my MY99PPP (+d/p, centre, IK) in a straight line let alone on the twisties

Beautiful car though
Old 16 August 2001, 01:46 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

I friend in my home town owns a Boxster S and a P1. The P1 is fitted with type R gearing and sti suspension. He loves his Pocker but admits it can't hold a tourch the the scoob in the performance tables.
Old 16 August 2001, 01:54 PM
coyote
Scooby Regular

They are completely different animals. The soob has power and grip but I'd rather that boxster handling.. beautiful!
Old 16 August 2001, 01:55 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Why did someone buy a P1 then change to type r gearing which is very close to standard sti gearing anyway? Doesnt make any sense at all.

And sti suspension too? the P1's suspension is its best part on uk roads anyway.

I lined up my car against a boxster s and didnt think about racing him. He decided he should race me. My car had only had an exhaust at teh time, and was running slightly up on standard bhp.

I managed to reel him in off the lights when he had had a two car head start although neither of us had side stepped anything!

We then proceeded top have a play at length for about five miles on great hertfordshire de restricted roads. I have to say, the car does not stand a chance against an sti. Not even close.

We stopped at a closed petrol station and had a chat. It seems he was surprised to have been so far behind but enjoyed teh handling none the less.
Old 16 August 2001, 02:08 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

HI RICH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16 August 2001, 02:12 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

AutoCar.....

Boxter S / UK Scoob / P1

0-60 6.0 / 5.3 / 4.7
0-100 14.2 / 14.9 / 12.3
30-70 5.5 / 5.2 / 4.8
50-70 10.6 / 8.5 / 6.8
Top 161 / 143 / 155

So.... off the mark would struggle to stay with a UK Scoob up to 60 but then would reel it in & pass it (just) up to 100.
Mid range very close & top speed the Boxter strolls it.
P1 is another story - much faster to 60....faster to 100 & through gears.
Boxter would still out run a P1 top speed though.

Ro.
Old 16 August 2001, 02:21 PM
coyote
Scooby Regular

Yes Grasshopper, but the best roads are those with the most corners! A friend of mine has it sussed. I'll post some performance times when his boxster has its twin turbo conversion.
Old 16 August 2001, 02:31 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Well we have a MY01 5dr and a Boxter S, have to say that on the road the difference between them is negligible (in the dry), although I would have to say that the Boxter has better chassis and power delivery.

However at nearly twice the price of the Scoob.

BTW it is absolutely essential for the Boxter to have the sports exhaust fitted, otherwise it just doesn't sound right
Old 16 August 2001, 02:32 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I never liked the boxster, but the figures speak for themselves.
boxster/cossie
0-60 - 6.0 / 5.6secs
0-100- 14.2/ 14.7secs
1/4mil HAHA!/ 13.7secs
/me reaches for the keys to the cossie
astraboy
Old 16 August 2001, 02:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I suspect the Boxster *feels* quicker rather than actually being quicker. It has a different driving position for starters.

A while ago I had this wally in a Boxster come racing up behind me (MY93 WRX) while I'm stuck at the back of a queue of traffic in the 3rd lane on the motorway. He was flashing his lights, right hand indicator on, and driving microns from the back bumper When the traffic cleared I dropped a couple of cogs and floored it. When he eventually caught up with me stuck behind more traffic he, funnily enough, kept a respectful distance behind. Even if a Boxster is quicker, who cares. More often than not it all depends on the driver.
Old 16 August 2001, 04:17 PM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Nice one Jerome.
Porsche is good, but for price performance can't beat a Scoob. If i had a Porsche i would want to know i could take on the world if i wanted, for that kind of money. Hence why i didn't buy a Boxster.
Plus, Boxster is a bit of a girls car...
Old 16 August 2001, 05:06 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wacko:
<B> Plus, Boxster is a bit of a girls car...[/quote]

That's why, to this day I'm still you didn't buy one

Old 16 August 2001, 06:29 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Two friends have S's. The sound from that engine just behind your ears is heavenly. I'd beat them both in a race though, they drive like fairys.
Old 16 August 2001, 06:30 PM
Nic Doczi
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have just sold my STI V (it's being picked up on Saturday), am keeping the Boxster S. So that is my vote. Different sorts of wonderful cars, but I would guess if both were UNMODIFIED, the S would be faster around a track. But, its all down to the driver. The driver feedback in the Boxster is definately superior.

Nic
Old 16 August 2001, 06:55 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

I test drove the Boxster - I found it awfully dull and slow compared to the Scoob.

The dullness relates to be being hugely overtyred and therefore too much grip at anything approaching sane driving on public roads.

Also had a little tustle with a Boxster S - we both open up on the straight and he is absolutely thrashing his engine - I could hear and smell it - I didn't need to go over 6,000 rpm and drove along just behind him is a very relaxed manner - he was happy - NOT!

On track however the Boxster is very quick - and well driven will give most Scoobs a run for their money. Remember the P1 supertest in EVO - an ordinary Boxster was faster around MIRA than the P1 - on the wet handling circuit! So much for 4 wheel drive

Just some personal experiences

Trout
Old 16 August 2001, 07:44 PM
Dales
Scooby Regular

I've driven a work colleague's S. A bit of a disappointment straight line performance wise - certainly doesn't feel any quicker than my MY00, although its all top end v mid range grunt on the Scoob. The chap who owns it had a Fiat Coupe Turbo prior, and as he admits himself he misses the turbo wallop.

Still a lovely car though - especially on a warm day. The brakes / handling are awesome.
Old 17 August 2001, 12:17 AM
AlPro
Scooby Regular

My mother-in-law has a Boxster S ( with 6-speed C/R box, sports exhaust, sport suspension, 18" wheels, Litronic headlights blah, blah.) How she has a clean license I don't know. She is not a **REALLY** quick driver but drives it fast and loves it.

I drove it for a weekend up in W. Scotland and also for a few laps round KH. Seriously fast, but a bit lardy and ABS goes mental, warning buzzers go off upto hairpin.

On a twisty road, with the roof down and that exhaust singing, it's bloody nice.
Old 17 August 2001, 12:28 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Blubell,

interesting - must be my unique style but I find heel-toe easier in the Scoob than any other car I have driven - especially when compared to German cars with floor mounted accelerators which I find impossible!

Trout
Old 17 August 2001, 12:42 AM
jackal
Scooby Regular

If he says an EVO6 is slower than a Boxter S either in a staright line, in pickup from the midrange or in terms of covering ground point to point then he's either:

1) never owned an EVO6
2) not telling the truth & he knows it
3) was on Mandrex or something at the time that he said it
Old 17 August 2001, 09:43 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Cool

At least the peddles in Boxter S are in the right place to enable heal and toeing. Much better than the Scoob.

Has anyone tried having the peddles moved on a Scoob??
Old 17 August 2001, 02:20 PM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Trout

I think that a) the Boxter has its peddles slightly closer together b) possibly the accelerator is slightly higher than the brake.

Having fairly small feet I have enormous trouble with most cars Porsche and TVR being the exception (TVR has adjustable peddle box)

Blubell
Old 17 August 2001, 05:35 PM
Richard R
Scooby Newbie

Owned all of them and all are very different:

Had a modded UK scoob sold for Evo 6 sold Evo for Boxster 's'

In a straight line (once rolling) the 'S' is quicker than a standard UK car. The power delivery is very different and for the first few weeks I was disapointed with the 'S'. Then I realised that it is much quicker than it feels.
The reality is that many Porsche drivers 'potter about' without ever really discovering what the cars are about!

Old 17 August 2001, 11:01 PM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

EVO 6 is quicker than a Boxter S, on-track / Straight-line or around corners wet or dry.

'Nuff Said, I'll get me coat.

Paul.
Old 18 August 2001, 04:23 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by nigel s:
<B>I friend in my home town owns a Boxster S and a P1. The P1 is fitted with type R gearing and sti suspension. [/quote]

I don't mean to sound rude, but what's the point in that? Surely the whole point of a P1 is to have STi power with suspension tuned to UK roads (i.e. better at soaking up bumps etc) and without the tail-happiness. Also the P1 gearing is not exactly over-long. Ok the Type R gearing will give better low end acceleration, but at the cost of top end grunt (a P1/Sti weakness) and ease of driving.
Old 18 August 2001, 04:27 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RoShamBo:
<B>AutoCar.....

Top 161 / 143 / 155

Boxter would still out run a P1 top speed though.

Ro.[/quote]

Not true. I have a GPS recorded 167.8mph from a P1 bouncing off the limiter in top, and 163mph on the straight at Bruntingthorpe at 7400rpm in hot sunny weather (bad for turbos). See the "P1 top speed" thread for details.

As for the Boxster S - first, any Porsche will be a very quick car...DRIVEN WELL. There are two main differences from something like a P1. i) it is harder to drive a RWD mid-engined car fast, compared to a 4wd Scoob, so for the vast majority of people, the scoob will go quicker ii) even for a really good driver, ON THE PUBLIC ROAD, something like a P1 will be quicker. Reason? Friendly on-limit handling. A mid-engined car will always be more tricky on the limit than a front-engined one (simple momentum & physics). And 4wd will always be easier to recover a slide in than RWD (when the rear is sliding, you can floor it and use the drive to the fronts to pull you straight). On track RWD will probably be better, but we're talking about road cars.

In that Evo test, the Boxster lapped a touch quicker. But on the open road, they said that the P1 "made dogmeat of the oppo" in a "shocking" manner. This included an NSX (a £70k supercar at launch), just to give you an idea. Ok it might have been pissing it down, and not all roads are Welsh B roads. But if someone put a gun to my head and told me to get from Land's End to John O'Groats as quick as possible, I'd reach for the P1 keys every time.

[This message has been edited by matt d (edited 18 August 2001).]
Old 18 August 2001, 01:51 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Who cares about Boxter. Driving a Boxter & Boxter handling/responsiveness:

"feels like you're inside a huge giant sponge thats floating in a vat of axle grease and salad cream..."

bring on the real drivers cars please: R500, Rocket, Ultima, 340R, EVO EXTREME, SLR etc..
Old 18 August 2001, 02:33 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Mat D
You obviously havn't passed your motorcycle test then
By all means reach for the P1 keys but unless your P1 has a chassis with adjustable RIDE height similar to a car straight outta wacky races (to bypass three mile tail backs), I'd take my Gixer keys and wait up for ya in the bar.

Steve
Old 20 August 2001, 01:15 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

I love the Boxster S, and would dearly like to own one at some point. But the thing costs about £40 grand and my '98 PPP cost me £15 grand and can probably outrun it in most circumstances, especially in the wet regardless of the previous post.

Alot of what the Scooby is /was about is being lost lately, in both the motoring mags and this site. The performance per pound,£, from our cars is outstanding, and the very fact that they are compared to established performance marks is reason enough for owning one.

Anyway if I want to embaress a Porsche Boxster I'll just get the Caterham out, problem solved.
Old 20 August 2001, 07:49 AM
turbo spudgun
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JKJ2:
<B>I love the Boxster S, and would dearly like to own one at some point. But the thing costs about £40 grand and my '98 PPP cost me £15 grand and can probably outrun it in most circumstances, especially in the wet regardless of the previous post.

Alot of what the Scooby is /was about is being lost lately, in both the motoring mags and this site. The performance per pound,£, from our cars is outstanding, and the very fact that they are compared to established performance marks is reason enough for owning one.

Anyway if I want to embaress a Porsche Boxster I'll just get the Caterham out, problem solved. [/quote]

never a truer word spoken

Quick Reply: Performance & Boxster S