Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Boxster or Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2005, 03:08 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster or Boxster S?

Your opinions please. Well the day has come when a Boxster is a realistic possibility. Drove one yesterday and loved the whole experience. So the decision is made to get a new one, but which one?

I drove the 2.7 Boxster yesterday, pretty basic 5 speed, 18" wheels and leather the only real options and it was great, felt like much more than 240bhp, and the sound - wow!! It was a proper test drive too, not just 5 minutes round the block.

Not driven the S yet as they only had a tiptronic and I'm not interested in that having had an Audi with DSG and nearly bored myself to sleep even on great roads (great in traffic though!). Tried lots of the competition TT, 350Z, RX8, SLK 350, Z4 and not convinced by any of them.

So its either a Boxster with a few options (metallic paint, leather, 18" wheels, PASM and 6 speed box) for about £36K or a Boxster S with just met paint and leather (and the 3.2 280bhp engine!) for about £40K which is about the maximum limit I want to go to. Dealer reckons they sell more Boxsters than 'S's and they hold their money better in the long run - true?

Insurance is amazing too - less than £500.

So your thoughts please, silly question I expect but can you negotiate at Porsche dealers or is the price you see the price you pay?
Old 07 August 2005, 03:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Id personally go for the S otherwise Id always be thinking "what if".

An excellent car with an unjustified reputation mostly by people who have never driven one or been in one and are just put off my its popularity/commoness.

Simon.
Old 07 August 2005, 03:41 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Mate had a non S for 3 years and has just recently bought an S. He reckons the S is head and shoulders above and has most of the must have options as standard.
Old 07 August 2005, 04:11 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

If you're spending £35-40k, have you considered a 996? That kind of money would get you very good example with dealer warranty........IMHO miles more desirable than a boxster...
Old 07 August 2005, 04:44 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I've driven an S - very very good car. As Simon says the 'hair dresser' tag is totally undeserved. It is a fine car - beautifully balanced. In many respects as good if not better than a 996 - the only reason they've never put a really decent engine in the Boxster is that it would probably show up the 911 too much!

I've driven a normal Boxster too - also a lovely car, but it wasn't overly quick - certainly nothing special if you're used to an Impreza or similar. It is a lovely car to drive though.

The S is usefully up on power. If that is your choice, I would choose your extras carefully, as poverty spec versions don't hold their value as well - most potential buyers want their toys.

If I'm honest, my RX8 did feel much different to the normal Boxster - they are both well balanced cars, what they lack in a straight line, they more than make up for in the handling dept - both very rewarding cars to drive.

If you're set on the Boxster, I would go for the S.

Chris
Old 07 August 2005, 04:50 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, your thinking is very similar to mine, going to go for the S and maybe push the budget a bit for a few toys - the driving focused ones anyway. I hear what you say about the 996 but I would rather wait until I can really afford a 911 rather than pretend for now.
Old 07 August 2005, 07:47 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
Thanks guys, your thinking is very similar to mine, going to go for the S and maybe push the budget a bit for a few toys - the driving focused ones anyway. I hear what you say about the 996 but I would rather wait until I can really afford a 911 rather than pretend for now.
An 'S' would be the choice having had both and currently have an S. They do depreciate a little faster unfortunately but the benefits of the 3.2 is easy to feel....

Have to say for 40k you would get yourself a nice 996 and IMHO you'd be a fool not to - OPC prices start at £32k and for £40k you'd get a reasonably low-mileage one...

Gastro
Old 07 August 2005, 08:01 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gastro, the 'S' just ticks more boxes for me at the moment, soft top as well and really any 911 is a car I aspire to - ideally I won't own one until I can afford a C4S at minimum. I am also interested that the guy who runs the long term (9 months does that count as long term!) 997 in evo is swapping it for a Boxster S, stating that the S with PASM makes the 997 feel dated! And his is the 911 Carrera S so high praise indeed I think. And you're right the extra depreciation is going to be worth it!

Mark
Old 07 August 2005, 10:51 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MBK
Cheers Gastro, the 'S' just ticks more boxes for me at the moment, soft top as well and really any 911 is a car I aspire to - ideally I won't own one until I can afford a C4S at minimum. I am also interested that the guy who runs the long term (9 months does that count as long term!) 997 in evo is swapping it for a Boxster S, stating that the S with PASM makes the 997 feel dated! And his is the 911 Carrera S so high praise indeed I think. And you're right the extra depreciation is going to be worth it!

Mark
OK - but it must be an S with PASM for it to make sense and if you are sold on a convertible then sure.... its all down to personal preference at the end of the day - enjoy - I DO

Gastro
Old 07 August 2005, 11:12 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Don't scrimp on the options as when you come to sell you will be shafted if it doesn't have certain toys. Look at cars for sale and dealer comments on what options are "must have's"

Get the S and enjoy life. Its only money
Old 07 August 2005, 11:38 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

To try to answer a few of your questions...

I've not heard of a porsche dealer in this country offering a discount on a new car. Maybe they did in the early 90's recession, but at the moment I doubt they will.

I've read elsewhere that the premium you pay for the 'S' is eroded somewhat when selling, and that you'll lose less money on the regular boxster. I think you really need to test drive both. In the old shape the difference between the regular boxster and the 'S' was noticeable, but you probably won't find many people here who can comment comparatively on the new ones.

In terms of options don't go overboard thinking you'll never sell it again otherwise. For resale dealers will be looking for decent metallic colour, 18"+ wheels, upgraded sound, leather and the essentials such as the wind deflector. Anything else is nice, but you won't get your money back.

Gary.
Old 08 August 2005, 07:14 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Gary is spot on with the options. Upgraded sound and wind deflector and metallic all you *really* need on an 'S'. I had one with Sport chrono and the sport button was interesting, but hardly worth the cost. One thing I'd deffo do if you are going to use all year is spend the £220 or so on auto-air (climate control) I had the basic setup and driving with the roof up in winter is annoying as the fan and temp controls can't be used at the same time.
Dealers like to tell you PCM (sat-nav) is a must for resale - but at nearly £2k they make lots of margin on that option...and the whole point of sports cars is to go out and get lost int he country LOL
Cman
Old 08 August 2005, 03:37 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I own a 986 2.7 and recently drove a 987 S.

The inside is better than the 986. The overall feel of the car was that little bit better than the 986. Its not a huge leap on but its a small advance and they have concentrated on the important bits.

I liked the drive, and it was quick. But we need something with more space now so looking at other options.

If you plan to sell it privately later then the "S" will be worth more, the options will make it a bit more too but even loads of options are only going to put you 2k over a standard car.

However, if you plan to trade it back in, the options are worth didley. The "S" will trade at about 1k over the 2.7.

For me I would say the following are must have options on any box, leather, PSM, climate, upgrade sound pack, wind deflector, better wheels.

Its also preferred to have PCM, cruise and parking sensors.

This is in the used market.

Take a look at www.boxa.net
Old 09 August 2005, 11:38 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

one quick question on the Boxster - is there enogh luggage space to allow you to fit 2 sets of clubs in them, along with 2 people in the seats?

We are set to purchase a Boxster and I'm just a bit curious - looked a bit tight when I looked at one, although without taking along 2 sets of clubs to the dealer I can't be sure

Cheers
Mike
(...soon to be Boxster S [1] owner)
Old 09 August 2005, 12:21 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I leant mine to a friend who does this 'sport' of golf He was able to get one set in the boot but a bit of a squeeze. I suspect the second set would need to be folding to fit in the front boot TBH
Cman
Old 09 August 2005, 02:40 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

I have 'embarrased' more than one Boxster driver, in a 2.0 16v Nova

Purely based on that fact, i would recommend you shell out the extra for the 'S'
Old 09 August 2005, 03:21 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

strangely, I am not buying the Boxster purely for speed - for £30k I am fairly certain, if that sort of thing was my cup of tea, I could buy/build and if needby tune something that could entirely entirely embarrass a 2.0 16v Nova - twisties, straight line, rolling or standing start - but that's not all it's about
Old 09 August 2005, 08:02 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

You should get one set in the rear boot but thats about it i would say.

The bag is going to cause the problem, can you get a soft bag that you can fold up and put in the front boot?
Old 28 August 2005, 08:02 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Had a test drive of a 987 S last week. Tremendous car, not that fast till you get the revs up, but then it just goes and goes (car only had 20 miles on it though). It feels like you're wearing the thing, amazing feel to every control. Was going to get a SLK55 but could only get a test in a 350, which was alright, but the interior is not up to spec for a £40k car, too much plastic painted silver. Suspension was harsh and this induced scuttle shake which is unacceptable on a "proper" convertible. I'm sure the 55 would be a beast, but after driving the Porsche, I know which I'd enjoy more. Deposit going down this week I think
Dealer said not to go too mad on spec, I'll probably only go for 19's, wind deflector, upgraded sounds, metallic and heated seats.
I'll try and squeeze something out of the buggers though even if it's only £100 for floor mats!
The one I drove had standard suspension, 19's and standard seats. Any comments on the PASM? Might get that instead of the 19's, but the standard setup seemed perfect to me.
Old 28 August 2005, 08:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the point beating Boxsters is it, I had a go at one the other day, girl driving it and sounded like and auto and she had to work pretty hard to out accelerate my Saab 9-3 (0-60 in 8 secs), My old MK2 Golf GTI could give as good as it got against a Boxster (usuall bolt ons, coil overs) and my Fiat coupe could destroy one (260 bhp) but I would swap any (all) of them for a Porsche of any description (except perhaps a 1977 924)

If I owned one I wouldnt be bothered about some muppet in a crappy old Vauxhall beating me, I know you can put 300 bhp Cavalier turbo engines in them which is probably fun (and terrifying) but whatever you do it will always be a Nova, however fast it is, its still a ratty 15 year old Vauxhall with a big engine driving the front wheels, the Boxster is a purpose designed mid engine sportscar, built to exacting standards from quality materials, it has a bit of credibility and despite the numerous gay/hairdresser/poser (I always think Budget airline pilot) references it will get you a **** (with whatever sex you choose) wheras a Nova will just get you laughed at, girles dont care whether its running 290 bhp and was prepared by Courtenay, in fact they would rather go in a Boxster powered by a Metro engine.
Old 29 August 2005, 08:45 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Why in the hell get a Boxster when you can have a 2.0 16V Nova
Old 29 August 2005, 10:02 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps Porsche will change the name of the Boxster based on prejudices, I mean the Boxster based coupe is called the Cayman, so perhaps the Boxster will henceforth be known as the Gayman ?
Old 29 August 2005, 11:29 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Buy what feels good for you mate,test drive them all and then go for what you like,**** what anyone else says.Be prepared for silly "oh you couldnt afford a 911" comments,usually from folk who cant afford a boxster.I,ll be buying my first 911 turbo in january,purely because its the car ive lusted after since i was knee high,and im making a lot of sacrifices for it.Good luck anyway mate.
Old 29 August 2005, 11:43 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive had a couple. And have to say the 'S' was worth the little extra over thestandard 2.7.
I would love another one now, although i can afford one, i cant afford the depresation of one now aday. Maybe i will look at a secondhand 987 next year, let someone else take the hit.
Old 29 August 2005, 11:44 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

To speak to lots of Boxster Owners pop over to

www.boXa.net
Old 30 August 2005, 05:16 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

I found that the older 3.2 S (260bhp) was comparable to the new 2.7 - and if looking at a 2 year old S it may be worthwhile looking at a new 2.7 as most of the features are now standard that you paid for on the old model. Also nicer interior. Sadly, we just cant afford the new model as it's about £37k+ by the time it is spec'd up and also I have a phobia against new car depreciation

We're going for a 2 year old 'facelift' 3.2 S once the 2 cars are sold