Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2003, 09:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Today I was invited to drive the Boxster S by my local OPC after showing an interest in the rumoured coupe.

What a bloody good car!

For those confused young puppies who still think they are for hair sylists, you really should try and have a go in one.

I will be submiting my letter of intent on Monday, so I can hopefully be one of the first owners of the new generation of Boxster.

Dave
Old 27 September 2003, 09:48 PM
Ralf Paris
Scooby Regular

Agree boxster is good car. Had 2.5, and 2 x 2.7. tried S and loved it. No room for bambino tho...........
Old 27 September 2003, 11:05 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'd agree with Dave. I drove a colleagues Boxster S a few months back - very quick and acomplished car. Beautiful handling, great performance and a lovely sound from the sports exhaust. It is a shame that they get tarnished as hairdresser's cars. The lesser models are not that special, but the 'S' is a serious car.

Chris
Old 28 September 2003, 01:40 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

one car jacked recently from owners house.broke in and threatened children in order to get car keys.car later found 20miles away undamaged parked in an industrial estate.put me off ever owning one.
Old 28 September 2003, 05:48 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

There are dozens more cases of that happening to Subaru owners.

MB
Old 28 September 2003, 06:19 PM
WISHING
Scooby Regular

Ive now had two and there excellent !
Old 28 September 2003, 09:06 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Wink

Couldn't agree with you more Dave.
It still puts a grin on my face everyday

Gastro
Old 30 September 2003, 10:24 AM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

I went toe to toe with a Boxster S two weeks ago on a 70 MPH dual carraigeway (heading towards a roundabout at 80 MPH +) They are quick, it would have overtook me if there was enough straight road.

Old 30 September 2003, 12:23 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I have driven one of these and think they are great
Old 30 September 2003, 05:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

They do get tarnished with the "hairdressers" brush but to be fair there arent many S owners who drive their Porsche anywhere near what its capable of (that Ive seen anyways).

My mate bought an S and took me for a spin and he wasnt hanging about. Excellent sound, massive torque, outstanding brakes and the handling you would expect from Porsche. An amazing package and I cant think of anything else in that category that would be better for the money.

He blitzed me in my standard MY00 Turbo - acceleration, handling and braking.

If I had the money I would get one.

Simon.
Old 30 September 2003, 06:29 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

About the same price as a used M3 (e46)........or a lotus esprit twin turbo...for drivin thrills...
Old 30 September 2003, 08:14 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Quote...'They do get tarnished with the "hairdressers" brush but to be fair there arent many S owners who drive their Porsche anywhere near what its capable of (that Ive seen anyways).'

And from what you've seen what performance car drivers do on the public highway ?? There is a speed limit and other drivers to think of most days

They get tarnished with the hairdressers brush more because most people can't afford a Porsche and in the typical British way people think - 'I can't afford one of them - you must be a w*nker!' - rather than thinking that person has worked hard and has earnt that luxury ??!

Gastro

Old 30 September 2003, 10:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Gastro - you dont have to speed to drive a car to its potential and please dont tell me that all Porsche drivers stick to the speed limit cos they earnt their car through hard graft.

Your reading way too much into what I said and your reply doesnt do the 'Boxster' image any favours.

Whether you like it or not the Boxster is seen as a pose mobile rather than a car to be driven. Most people havent seen one driven in anger nor have they test driven one/been a passenger. Therefore their opinion of the car is made from how they see other people driving them.

Simon.
Old 30 September 2003, 11:08 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Sorry - but to take your point one further then....
Owning a P1 means that you suddenly become a rally driver ? There are just as many pampered Ferrari's and Subaru's out there ...

I wasn't for one minute trying to say that Porsche owners stick to the speed limit - I was just saying that with todays traffic/speed cameras/traps how on earth can you infer that from what cars you have seen on the road that the driver of said Boxster isn't 'up to it'?? I can't say that I've ever seen a P1 driven in anger on the open road - so what does that say ?

The Boxster is a convertible and it has a yuppy image - 2 other things that dooesnt agree the majority of the great British public !

Since when did not agreeing with a comment and owning a Boxster suddenly become a double knock of someones 'image' ???

Gastro

[Edited by Gastro - 9/30/2003 11:17:22 PM]