Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a cortisone injection?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2011, 08:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anyone had a cortisone injection?

Had one into the elbow for tennis elbow today. Now the arm is stiff and hurts to bend, feels worse than it did. Does it get better?
Old 16 September 2011, 08:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - hurts like **** to start off with (had it in the shoulder joint.... after she hit the bone several times )

Your joint has to get over the "intrusive" trauma.....
Old 16 September 2011, 08:50 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

you need to keep your joint static for a few hours at the least after injection m8, or the cortisone tends to disapate round the body, ive had friggin loads over the last 20 years or so.
my advice would be keep your elbow still for at least 24 hrs to give it the best poss. chance of working.
as for the pain, it depends on your level of pain barrier tbh (and the type of joint - knees are easier than knuckles for example), but as a rule if the injection is done well (and not stabed a bone several times) you shouldnt experience much pain, as before the cortisone is injected in you will have had a injection of local anesthetic, which should be good for quite a few hours.

hope this helps.
Old 16 September 2011, 09:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

no --- but had a mildly tuned Granada once

sorry could not resist
Old 16 September 2011, 09:07 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 16 September 2011, 10:33 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmerlin
you need to keep your joint static for a few hours at the least after injection m8, or the cortisone tends to disapate round the body, ive had friggin loads over the last 20 years or so.
my advice would be keep your elbow still for at least 24 hrs to give it the best poss. chance of working.
as for the pain, it depends on your level of pain barrier tbh (and the type of joint - knees are easier than knuckles for example), but as a rule if the injection is done well (and not stabed a bone several times) you shouldnt experience much pain, as before the cortisone is injected in you will have had a injection of local anesthetic, which should be good for quite a few hours.

hope this helps.

Old 16 September 2011, 10:37 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
am i missing something here, i fail to see how my experience from years of f****g pain makes you laugh?

just as an extra, the line "Hope this helps" i feel was a fair question, the op asked is the pain was normal, my answer was no, ergo he needs to seek further medical advice if it doesnt ease off... therefore by answering his question i feel was helpfull, hence "Hope this helps"

is it just me or is this forum full of dick heads tonight!

Last edited by madmerlin; 16 September 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 16 September 2011, 10:45 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I got one in my elbow earlier on this year, the injection it's self was pretty much painless, what came later on in the day hurt like hell..

The bad news is it hurt like hell the day afterwards as well, enjoy!
Old 17 September 2011, 07:33 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done about four years ago. As others have said, it doesn't hurt at the time because there's a local in the stuff (unless you have a separate one) but starts to hurt a couple of hours later. Worst is about twelve hours after the injection. The following morning it was bad enough that I couldn't bend my arm enough to shave. After that the pain slowly went away over the next two or three days. The bad news is: in many cases the tennis elbow will come back after a longish interval. The good news: this is usually months later, and it's often not as bad as it was before - mine is about a quarter of what it was five years ago. But then you grow out of tennis elbow anyway.

M
Old 17 September 2011, 08:25 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Had one in the shoulder Thursday. Just keep movement to a minimum for 24hrs as suggested. Will hurt for a while but should be much better in the long run.

Take it easy.
Old 18 September 2011, 10:45 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I had one in my hip about 5 weeks ago. They told me to rest for at least 48hrs, and not to do any strenous activity for at least 10 days.

Had it done under ultrasound. Thought i was going just for the ultrasound so it was a bit of a shock!

Given local, bloody bloke didnt wait for it to take effect,straightaway he then put the BIGGEST needle i have ever seen into my hip, then proceeded to jab it in and out asking if thats where I feel pain. I am NEVER having another one. I dont think I have felt pain like it, i would rather put up with the original problem than have that done again!

They do say that it can cause a temporary increase in the problem you were originally reffered for but this should ease. The injections last anywhere from 2 days to 6mths, it depends on the person. The relief from mine lasted about a week.
Old 19 September 2011, 02:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had one when I had severe tendonitis in my shoulder. It was a very deep injection which was not too pleasant, but it did a lot to ease the pain after a fairly short time.

Les
Old 19 September 2011, 03:02 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I had 4 in total in my elbow too. And indeed the swelling and pain can be pretty horrible. But once it goes there IS relief. How long that lasts is another matter. Mine used to last 6-8 weeks.
Eventually I had surgery, and its been pretty ok for 3+ years now.

Would not wish it on anyone, the condition or the treatments.
If it helps, I found that the first was the worst reaction wise. The 3 subsequent injections didnt cause quite as much swelling etc. But my arm was almost unusable for a day or 2 the first time.