Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

i/c water spray...gains?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2000, 12:12 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you talking about intercooler water spray or water injection?

On my Type R which has an Intercooler waterspray then I notice a difference in the warm weather by turning it on in that it makes the car more responsive and reduces some of the extra lag that you get in the warm weather.

As to its ability to reduce detonation then in theory it could do this by reducing the charge temperature but I would like to think that this is a way of solving this problem.

Water injection is a different story as you are injecting water directly into the engine and these can definately reduce detonation although there has been some talk of them in the past of not making a big difference on the Scoob and actually reducing power. I dont know any more details than that and cant qualify this statement.

A good quality water injection system would buy you alot of Octane booster as an alternative thought.

Darren
Old 22 February 2000, 12:18 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

wouldn't running an intercooler waterspray increase the detonation risk, as lower intake charge temp = higher air density = det risk?
Old 22 February 2000, 12:23 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David,

Firstly I should qualify my answer by saying that I don't (and wouldn't) fit waterspray to my car, but I've been reading up on them a bit. I assume that you are talking about water injection rather than an Intercooler spray, although you refer to both in your post.

In general, water injection does reduce the likelyhood of detonation partly due to the evaporation of the water cooling the inlet charge, and also due to the increased humidity of the charge also reducing it's volatility.

IMHO, they shouldn't be necessary unless you want to run a level of boost which dictates that water injection would be required to give you a safety margin, although I don't know what this level would be.

There are link'ed STI Vs producing comfortably over 300bhp which don't have need of water injection as they don't suffer from any detting at all - how far do you want to go?

Another point to consider is what happens when your water tank runs dry - would your ECU retard timing/overfuel/reduce boost to take this into account? I don't see how this could work without an integrated ECU which could switch between multiple maps. I don't know if any system could do this.

If you are setting up the car to run high boost levels such that Water injection is required to keep detonation under control, I would personally prefer to look at a more permanent solution like a front mounted intercooler, or something else which will work consistently. My personal feeling is that a properly engineered conversion shouldn't need a band-aid solution such as water injection, but there may be other considerations that I'm not aware of.

If I understand your situation correctly, your car is in standard tune and your knocklink tells you that you aren't suffering from detonation. If this is the case, I would suggest you wait until you upgrade your ECU and then decide if water injection is required.

Cheers,

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexM (edited 22-02-2000).]
Old 22 February 2000, 12:34 AM
david
Scooby Regular

just to make it 100% clear, I am talking about intercooler water spray and the possible reduction in detonation with this system.
Old 22 February 2000, 11:41 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Question

chaps,

I've just done an extensive search on this subject, and although various types of i/c water spray have been discussed, no one has qualified if an i/c water spray can actually decrease the risk of detonation.

firefox (hello ), you were/are designing a spray system, any pogress?

Generally - do we think there are benefits?

I am thinking of having one installed on my V by (Scoobymania) to further reduce the threat of detonation, I am not bothered about insignificant BHP gains, more the benefits towards the det issues.

I am aware of the water injection systems, but I would like to investigate this route first.

I am thinking of installing the i/c water spray before a Possum Link, my car is not detting badly and I have a knock link fitted so after the install (if I go ahead) I can monitor the knock.

The reason for this question is that these systems are not cheap.

Cheers

Dave