Direct water injection

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2001, 02:42 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Merry Xmas to everyone.

Unfortunately, with the search facility out of action I would be grateful in anyone can tell me about water injection.

I have a MY98 Terzo, which has a full Magnex decatted exhaust, JR filter, Bailey dump valve and a Unichip fitted. When the chip was installed and mapped the dyno test showed 276bhp and 281ftlb of torque with about 19psi(1.3 bar) of boost. On the road it is fantastic.

Once I have got my breaks sorted I'm planning on a few track days and I have been advised to think about having water injection fitted to help reduce the ignition temp.

Can anyone please help me:
Is this safe? (Injecting water directly into the piston seems a bit of an alien concept to me)
Does it mean I can run more boost?
Will it affect power at all?
Is it necessary?
Is this just a ploy to get me to part with more hard earned cash?
Would I be better saving for a FMIC?

Look forward to some words of wisdom.

Many thanks

Simon
Old 25 December 2001, 02:49 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Direct WI on it's own will decrease power, it'll allow more ignition advance, and more boost, but this will demand more fuel, meaning bigger injectors, uprated fuel pump and so on....

You're already pushing it a tad at 1.3 mate....

WI is generally used as a cure for detting...it lowers intake temps. The heated air vapourizes the water, and this requires energy...voila“!

I'd go for bigger injectors and a VF-series turbo, and an fmic, the WI is the last resort to solve detting imho.

/J
Old 25 December 2001, 03:27 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply.

I must confess that I did question the guys who fitted the Unichip (InterPro near Bristol) about 1.3 bar, they seemed very happy with the set-up and assured me that I shouldn't have any problems.
It certainly wasn't detting on Optimax and they said that the ECU would retard the timing slightly if I used SUL, but without any problems. They did warn me never to use standard UL.

You must be psychic, because the one question I meant to ask (but forgot to post) was whether I would need the Unichip remapping. I thought that it may well need doing and from your reply I would say it would certainly need it (as well as the larger injectors etc).

I think I'll leave it well alone and start saving.

Merry Xmas and thanks once again.

Simon
Old 25 December 2001, 07:00 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

...the thing I'd do first if I had to start over is to sort the internals first - for a little piece of mind.
Rods and pistons are no. 1 on my list right now.

I've got a euro MY00, with an IHI VF24 running 1.25 bar (Possum Link), running a 12:1 AFR makes the injectors (440 ccs, IIRC you've got 370's?) run @ ~90% above 6-6500 rpm, and I think your injectors @ 1.3 with the smaller TD04 turbo are just about enough.

A bigger turbo does wonders for both intake temps as well as power, I'd go for that before the IC is upgraded (which'd make the small TD04 work even harder to reach 1.3 bar), but in your case that'd mean bigger injectors, and an uprated fuel system....

It's a neverending spending-spree mate.

/J