Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Men, better than women, AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2010, 01:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Men, better than women, AGAIN!

Even in the final act, men are just better.

A report out today on mens health declares:-

"Although the rates of suicide attempts do not differ between the sexes, men are far more successful at the job. Of all people who kill themselves, 76% are men"

Women can't even kill themselves properly!
Old 03 November 2010, 01:50 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And will you be demonstrating your expertise to us all in this particular endeavour?
Old 03 November 2010, 01:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's because we work harder!
Old 03 November 2010, 01:58 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Pete, why such a morbid thing to bring up?
Old 03 November 2010, 02:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This ones more peculiar than that **** on you tube celebrating prisoners right to vote .
Old 03 November 2010, 03:00 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

"Although the rates of suicide attempts do not differ between the sexes, men are far more successful at the job. Of all people who kill themselves, 76% are men"

You win

Is it because men choose more violent/ instant ways of going?
Old 03 November 2010, 03:05 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I was having a discussion with the missus along these lines, she works in mental health dealing with adolescents.

My question was are those that are threatening to commit suicide the least likely to go through with it, i.e. it's a cry for help and not something they'd actually be able to do if it came to it. She said that girls are more likely to do this and may actually make an attempt but expecting to get found before it's too late, e.g. slitting the wrists, downing a load of pills, etc.

With boys it far more likely to be something bubbling away underneath and they generally won't talk about / there will be no cry for help. They are often more calculated in their approach to it and once they've determined they are going to do it then it's more likely to succeed / they are less likely to be found.

One of my best mates who was bi-polar hung himself, he was fine up until the day of the event, it just seems that the demons in his head got their way that day. I've no idea how calculated it was but I get the feeling it wasn't something he'd been planning for ages. Just knew what he had to do to get the job done
Old 03 November 2010, 03:05 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

You have been reading FHM lewis
Old 03 November 2010, 03:46 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My brother is a psychiatric nurse and he has had lots of dealings with this type of thing.

It is more common for females to do something less fatal. Women naturally talk about things, and are more calculated with what results can happen from their behaviour.

Men are naturally egotistical, and tend not to think of the outcome of their behaviour. So rather than thinking of the other people their death will effect, they think only of themselves and get the job done.

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I was having a discussion with the missus along these lines, she works in mental health dealing with adolescents.

My question was are those that are threatening to commit suicide the least likely to go through with it, i.e. it's a cry for help and not something they'd actually be able to do if it came to it. She said that girls are more likely to do this and may actually make an attempt but expecting to get found before it's too late, e.g. slitting the wrists, downing a load of pills, etc.

With boys it far more likely to be something bubbling away underneath and they generally won't talk about / there will be no cry for help. They are often more calculated in their approach to it and once they've determined they are going to do it then it's more likely to succeed / they are less likely to be found.

One of my best mates who was bi-polar hung himself, he was fine up until the day of the event, it just seems that the demons in his head got their way that day. I've no idea how calculated it was but I get the feeling it wasn't something he'd been planning for ages. Just knew what he had to do to get the job done
Old 03 November 2010, 03:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Could it be that they are more level headed and don't feel the need so often to be so daft as to do away with themselves?

Mrs Leslie is a good deal better at cooking, housework etc. than I would ever be and she understands the washing machine perfectly!

Les