Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New mattress

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2010, 01:42 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New mattress

We're both waking up crippled everyday and it's time for a new (double) mattress. Bed & frame all seem OK. Would like a decent one, but don't wanna spend too much money, as the property will be rented within the year.

It seems to be a complete minefield, so if anyone has any suggestions. Saw this one and fits in the budget, but can't seem to find anyone else offering it.

Silentnight Kingston, half price £197 @ Tesco:
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4814.aspx

There's others offering similar Silentnight (Miracoil) for less, so not sure what to do...
Old 26 August 2010, 01:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never, ever, skimp on your bed or your shoes .......
Old 26 August 2010, 01:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

We got a Silentnight about 6 months ago, from Argos, double divan with drawers etc, and its been fantastic. Lovely and firm. But its an "argos exclusive"
Old 26 August 2010, 01:56 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

Silent night memory foam FTW!

I'll never buy another non-memory foam bed again.
Old 26 August 2010, 02:23 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Don't listen to those dimwit experts who claim that a "firm" (i.e. hard) mattress is good for you. We did and woke up every hour with aches and pains. If it ain't comfortable when you lie on it for a few seconds in the shop, it certainly won't be comfortable when you're rolling around on it for 8 hours back home.

Good luck. That memory foam sounds like a good idea.
Old 26 August 2010, 02:27 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

Memory foam is awesome. The 'memory' part doesn't mean it remembers what shape you are (as quite a few folk I have spoke to think). The memory part means it always trys to return to flat which makes the foam raise up around the curves of your body (think hips and shoulders) to support the parts of the body in between the bumps.

never had a more comfortable bed. One bad point is that you'll never be happy in any other bed after having one.
Old 26 August 2010, 02:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We lobed a 3" memory foam topper on a budget double mattress and I kid you not it's so comfortable. I'd rather have an £80 3" topper on a £100 coil than that one Gaz
Old 26 August 2010, 02:50 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Best purchase I ever made.....

Having left Uni, moved around for a while and then ended up renting an unfurnished place got a cheapo double bed with an orthopaedic mattress as I thought I like a firm bed, and slept on it for years without issue. However after meeting my missus, who also had an ancient bed, and spending some nights in that and some nights in mine , and each time waking up more and more crippled each morning we decided enough was enough.

Got a 1600 pocket sprung mattress, on a king size divan with a sprung base, from Dreams. Much softer than either of our existing beds but the very helpful sales person was insistent that you should sink into a mattress a bit, not sleep on top of it. So comfortable Back pain went over night

We didn't go for memory foam in the end and the missus fidgets around a lot during the night and I tend to feel too warm all the time so wasn't sure a slab of foam would breathe so well and would retain the heat. But each to their own, I'm sure the memory foam top would be very comfy.

Anyway the message is don't scrimp on a bed, buy the best you can. If your renting the place out can't you take it with you and then replace it with a cheapo for the tenants?
Old 26 August 2010, 02:54 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

I have heard folk saying they didn't initially like the memory foam as it can feel like it clings to you because it wraps around a bit.

I never noticed but I sleep like a log. Heat wise they are toastie which doesn't actually suit me very well but i just kick the covers off and be done with it. The OH loves the heat though so you gotta compromise somewhere lol!
Old 26 August 2010, 02:56 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i've heard the same thing about heat retention with memory foam mattresses. You're talking to a guy who currently has a fan on at night (in Scotland!!)

So nobody is recommending the SN Mattress above? Any alternatives??
Old 26 August 2010, 03:03 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Got this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=360249589674

outstanding mate. never slept so well. even if it lasts a year. money well spent
Old 26 August 2010, 03:14 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Brought a new bed about 6 months ago-brought from dreams, got one with a Miracoil 7 Pocket 2100 mattress as when we tested a few in shop this by far felt the most comfy-was firm but supportive at same time-and i sleep better in it then a hibernating hamster, also helps that i brought a superking size bed, just couldn't go back to a normal double size bed now as i like being able to spread out in bed lots
Old 26 August 2010, 03:15 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

Gaz I feel yer pain. I have a fan on too - in Scotland - must be we're not used to the heat
Old 26 August 2010, 04:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We recently went on the hunt for a new bed. We both like a firm mattress, and our last was a Sealy Posturepedic with a pillow top. We decided not to go pillow-top again, opting for a 3" £80 MF topper, meaning we could get a normal mattress which was also turnable to even out the wear. I'm twice the weight of my missuse, so my side takes a battering where her side looks unused years later.

We tried dozens of mattresses, focussing on the firmer and orthopaedic ones, finally choosing a Sleepeezee Cairo which was £1150 in 'Dreams'. A bit of research showed if we'd bought that one it would have been a bloody nightmare, at least financially. I found out that 'Dreams' rebrand normal mattresses from all the big suppliers with different names. Our 'Cairo' with 2000 pocket springs was actually a 'Backcare Ultimate 2000' which I finally got from Bedworld.net for £370 delivered (inc Quidco cashback). So, make note of the make, model, and more importantly specification of the ones you prefer, then hit Google and see what tricks they've pulled to screw you. We'd have been £780 out of pocket had we fallen for the 'Dreams' BS. In fairness, they did discount it to £950 in their sale, and then offered us another £100 off if we bought within a couple of days but it would still have been £480 more ! The 'Cairo' seems to have disappeared from their ranges now, but the 'Kennedy' and 'Washington' ones look like the new versions, and are still touted at £900+ after an alleged massive discount

Last edited by corradoboy; 26 August 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 26 August 2010, 04:43 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I'm another for the memory foam mattress. Took me a few nights to get used to it, but afterwards its been by far the best I've ever owned. Had this one for about 6 years now, however at the time it cost £400 I'm sure they have come down since.

Definately try them out, stores such as dreams have a few different versions, going from soft to firm, to see which one suits you best.
Old 26 August 2010, 05:08 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Just bought Millbrook kingsize bed. About £1500 worth ,very comfortable.

Chip
Old 26 August 2010, 06:36 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pslewis
Never, ever, skimp on your bed or your shoes .......
Cos if you're not in one you're in the other.
Old 26 August 2010, 06:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Just bought Millbrook kingsize bed. About £1500 worth ,very comfortable.
They do those at Bedworld too. See if yours is listed.... CLICKY

Last edited by corradoboy; 26 August 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 26 August 2010, 06:45 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
We're both waking up crippled everyday and it's time for a new (double) mattress. Bed & frame all seem OK. Would like a decent one, but don't wanna spend too much money, as the property will be rented within the year.

It seems to be a complete minefield, so if anyone has any suggestions. Saw this one and fits in the budget, but can't seem to find anyone else offering it.

Silentnight Kingston, half price £197 @ Tesco:
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4814.aspx

There's others offering similar Silentnight (Miracoil) for less, so not sure what to do...
Kate price ?
Old 26 August 2010, 08:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
They do those at Bedworld too. See if yours is listed.... CLICKY
It is ,and cost more than I paid for mine.

Chip
Old 26 August 2010, 08:56 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Highly recommend the 'Platinum' (or new Diamond Platinum) from these boys:

http://www.thememoryfoammattressfirm.co.uk

Excellent prices, excellent service- and identical spec to a Tempur.

DN
Old 26 August 2010, 09:59 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Just bought a new kingsize bed with a sealy posturepedic gold mattress (cumbrian meadow), this has latex memory foam inside the mattress. We have another Sealy double bed at home which is now 5 years old, the difference between the older bed and the new king size is night and day.

No matter what bed you want, don't spend a pound until you have sat on and lay on it in the shop for a few minutes. We paid £629 for the kingsize base and mattress delivered from a small local retailer, don't get sucked in my the bank holiday discount - you can buy beds and mattresses for less on any day of the year if you shop around.
Old 27 August 2010, 03:10 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

Never let it be said I'm not helpful.
Old 28 August 2010, 12:30 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered a new mattress from ebay. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.