Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

which memory mattress is the better deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2009, 03:05 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question which memory mattress is the better deal?

today i am going to order a memory foam mattress for orthopedic reasons and have found 2 that look good value for money. the first one is from here

memory foam mattress, memory foam mattresses, memory foam toppers The Memory Foam Mattress Firm
4'6 and costs £264 plus free pillows. this is from the Luxury Gold Range

this is delivered as it is, not vacuum sealed.

the second one is from here,

Memflex Relax 800 Memory Foam Mattress - Coolmax cover - Memory Foam Mattress - Single - Double - king Size - Super King -Next Day delivery
£249 and no free pillows.
no info on how this is delivered

can someone in the know look at the density of both mattresses etc and give me an opinion please.

i have chosen these two as they are within my price range.

i have read all the differences between the two and understand most of it but what i really need some opinions now
thanks in Advance guys

hopefully you are all bored enough to help
Old 01 January 2009, 03:06 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Einstein RA, should be along shortly....

Banny
Old 01 January 2009, 03:07 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Einstein RA, should be along shortly....

Banny
neigh

i was going to pm him but i thought i would leave this open. he might be able to get me a better deal
Old 01 January 2009, 03:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sarasquares
neigh

i was going to pm him but i thought i would leave this open. he might be able to get me a better deal
Stop horsing about you!

First thing is first, get down to a shop and have a good long lay down on a mattress of this type if you already haven't done so. It is vitally important that you have a five or ten minute lay down on one of these to make sure it is the mattress for you. Due to not having a spring they feel veerrry different, some like some don't. Never be bashful about laying down on a mattress in a shop (I don't think this applies to you Sara ), that's what they're there for.

If you've already done this bear in mind also, foam mattresses can be very warm. That's not necessarily a bad thing given all this cold weather we're having. However some people find them unbearably warm and you will need some type of breathable cover, which also needs to be waterproof. You lose a pint of moisture per night and foam will just soak it all up.

The two mattresses you have listed are very similar in specification, the memflex having slightly thicker foam. However the memflex doesn't list foam density but generally mattresses in this range are much of a muchness. Both deals work out to be about the same once you factor in the 'free' pillows.

An alternative is a sprung foam combo mattress, giving you the comfort of memory foam and the support of convential springs. These retail at a similar price and are generally more popular. Our foam mattresses retail at £249 including free local delivery, unfortunately Harpenden is a bit further away.

We spend a third of our lives in bed (some a lot more) so make sure your mattress is up to the job.
Old 01 January 2009, 03:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

We have Silentnight memory mattresses. Very comfy.
Old 01 January 2009, 04:13 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Stop horsing about you!

You lose a pint of moisture per night and foam will just soak it all up.

water bed?

i found this on the memflex info..

Memflex use 40 density (400kg) in the Memflex deluxe and supreme mattresses making the best foundation to support the memory foam.
the other one says 80kg/m3. this has confused me

maz, i cant get out atm as i have had a back relapse i am going to have to take a chance that i can get on with a memory mattress. i am looking for a reasonably firm one
Old 01 January 2009, 04:40 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

water bed?

i found this on the memflex info..

Memflex use 40 density (400kg) in the Memflex deluxe and supreme mattresses making the best foundation to support the memory foam.
the other one says 80kg/m3. this has confused me

maz, i cant get out atm as i have had a back relapse i am going to have to take a chance that i can get on with a memory mattress. i am looking for a reasonably firm one

Hmm that would indicate the memflex has a lower density foam. The upshot of this it will be less firm and crucially the foam isn't as resilient due to being less compact. Is your back problem in the lower back or is it sciatic? Either way I think as you say a slightly firmer feel will be better. Thus making the Luxury Gold the better one for you. Fact that isn't vacuum sealed is also a plus point as the foam hasn't been squashed to within an inch of it's life.

Trending Topics

Old 01 January 2009, 04:54 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

We have a normal mattress and a topper which does the job here, it does make you warm too, it still amazes me that you can push your hand into them and it springs back to its original shape
Old 01 January 2009, 05:01 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

it is my lower back and the sciatic nerve is badly affected, i am in constant pain, so much so i am oral morphine atm. i cant bend into my car let alone bounce on shop beds lol

i thought the Luxury Gold was a better choice but i needed your word on it. i am going to order it now for delivery on Saturday, cant wait

Paul, i have seen the advert where a ladies hand pushes into the mattress and it comes back into shape, is it the same?

you would be able to see if anyone else has been in your bed
Old 01 January 2009, 05:01 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

i am looking for a reasonably firm one

Oooooerrrrr
Old 01 January 2009, 05:02 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PaulC72
We have a normal mattress and a topper which does the job here, it does make you warm too, it still amazes me that you can push your hand into them and it springs back to its original shape
If your existing mattress is okay then this is a very good and a cheaper foray in to the memory foam experience. A good two inch thickness layer over your existing mattress is all you'll need.
Old 01 January 2009, 05:04 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Turbohot
We have Silentnight memory mattresses. Very comfy.
Is this a combination type or just foam?
Old 01 January 2009, 05:08 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

it is my lower back and the sciatic nerve is badly affected, i am in constant pain, so much so i am oral morphine atm. i cant bend into my car let alone bounce on shop beds lol

i thought the Luxury Gold was a better choice but i needed your word on it. i am going to order it now for delivery on Saturday, cant wait

Paul, i have seen the advert where a ladies hand pushes into the mattress and it comes back into shape, is it the same?

you would be able to see if anyone else has been in your bed

Ooh poor you, I know just how painful sciatica is! It does pass though thankfully. When you order Sara make sure you get all the small print detail out of them. Things like guarantees/warranties and for what length of time. A good mattress should last eight to ten years, it will lose some of it's comfort/support but should still be comfy enough to sleep in.
Old 01 January 2009, 05:26 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Is this a combination type or just foam?

i looked at the Silentnight ones and all they had was a couple of centimeters. i thought they were a bit overpriced for what they were.
Old 01 January 2009, 05:27 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Ooh poor you, I know just how painful sciatica is! It does pass though thankfully. When you order Sara make sure you get all the small print detail out of them. Things like guarantees/warranties and for what length of time. A good mattress should last eight to ten years, it will lose some of it's comfort/support but should still be comfy enough to sleep in.

there is a 5 year guarantee on the mattress so if it lasts that long i am happy....hopefully
Old 01 January 2009, 05:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

If your existing mattress is okay then this is a very good and a cheaper foray in to the memory foam experience. A good two inch thickness layer over your existing mattress is all you'll need.
Old 01 January 2009, 05:30 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

i looked at the Silentnight ones and all they had was a couple of centimeters. i thought they were a bit overpriced for what they were.
People have had problems with Silentnight mattresses.
Old 01 January 2009, 06:06 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

People have had problems with Silentnight mattresses.

that doesn't surprise me. a lot of people probably don't realise how inadequate the memory foam is in these. they are probably more comfortable than a standard mattress but i bet they dont last very long or give the support people think they do. plus i think you are paying more for the brand name than anything.

its taken me a couple of years to decide what i was going to do. anyway, have attempted to order the thing and am being told that i am not enabling the cookies....i am

i will have to call them tomorrow. i will let you know how the mattress is
Old 01 January 2009, 06:39 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to say the first one but rather the luxury platinum as that's what i have and it's excellent, just don't forget to swap it around once a month or so.

As im sure you know that extra inch makes all the difference.

Last edited by hux309; 01 January 2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01 January 2009, 06:46 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Oh and i spent over a grand on a silentnight base and mattress and then bought a Tempur mattress for the silentnight base as the Silentnight mattress was crap.

Then i had 3 new bases in 3 months as they were all crap too. Ended up giving it away, AVOID Silentnight.

Get a MILBROOK base and Tempur matt.

too much sex?
Old 01 January 2009, 06:49 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
I was going to say the first one but rather the luxury platinum as that's what i have and it's excellent, just don't forget to swap it around once a month or so.
have you got one from the same company? any problems?

i am going to have to order by phone tomorrow as online didn't work.
i wanted a thinner mattress than i have as i find the bed is too high thats why i have gone for 6"
Old 01 January 2009, 06:53 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

You mean you don't remember???
my memory is as short as a gnats dick

i am hoping i will remember more with a memory mattress
Old 01 January 2009, 06:54 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope no problems at all, infact it's been excellent, just needs swapping like i said as one side will soften up as the weeks pass.

My back hardly ever twinges, i would plump for the platinum you really do notice the super soft layer it has, it's very comfy.

You will find it odd to sleep on to begin with and as someone else said it will make you a bit warmer, oddly i sleep au naturel now as it's ever better on this kind of mattess, go figure.

Oh they are a bit slow on delivery, don't let that put you off, they send in bulk to keep prices down, yours will probably be faster as i do live in the middle of nowhere.
Old 01 January 2009, 06:57 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Nope no problems at all, infact it's been excellent, just needs swapping like i said as one side will soften up as the weeks pass.

My back hardly ever twinges, i would plump for the platinum you really do notice the super soft layer it has, it's very comfy.

You will find it odd to sleep on to begin with and as someone else said it will make you a bit warmer, oddly i sleep au naturel now as it's ever better on this kind of mattess, go figure.

Oh they are a bit slow on delivery, don't let that put you off, they send in bulk to keep prices down, yours will probably be faster as i do live in the middle of nowhere.

looks like i wont get it on saturday then

if you sleep nekid dont you get an imprint of your body after you have got up?
Old 01 January 2009, 06:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

It's soooo comfy you'll just want to go to sleep.......that might just be my fault though
says a lot about you..............boring git

Quick Reply: which memory mattress is the better deal?