Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ikea, what a PITA :(

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 06:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ikea, what a PITA :(

Bought a new bed from ikea a while ago, supposed to be an economical purchase until we went for their best mattress. All King Size, intended to spend about £200 but ended up about £500.

Anyway, the mattress has been utter sh ite since day, have to turn it every week as it gets 'dips' in both sides. As I sleep on my front this wrecks my back.

Enough is enough- went out and bought a King Size silentnight, just so I can get some bloody sleep without feeling like my back has been broken every morning. Got it home, put on the bed, only to find that the Ikea 'kingsize' bedstead is about 4" wider than a silentnight 'kingsize' mattress. Initially thought the mattress was small but it measures right at 5 foot (ish). Its the bed that big- and the Ikea mattress as well.

Bugger
Old 08 December 2005, 06:46 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

doh!

can't believe you didn't think to measure it, but then s'pose thats what you expect from an IKEA shopper
Old 08 December 2005, 06:51 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have anything from IKEA even if they gave it away
Old 08 December 2005, 06:53 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rani
I wouldn't have anything from IKEA even if they gave it away
Nor me!

Chip
Old 08 December 2005, 06:53 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

dead right.... never again.
Old 08 December 2005, 06:54 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

If they paid me I'd keep the cash and dump the goods in the nearest skip.
Old 08 December 2005, 06:58 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought that 5 foot was a queen size mattress !! king size is 76 inches wide ?http://www.specialtylinens.com/sizes.htm
any way my brother did the same thing with habitat , the bed was a really weird size although our local furniture wallah got thre right size for him !!
Old 08 December 2005, 07:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

engineer from work told me about the ikea sizes being bigger so you have to buy there products a few months back!!
Old 08 December 2005, 07:51 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Yup, IKEA have their own bed sizes which ties you in to using their matresses and bed linen. Never again...
Old 08 December 2005, 10:31 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I got an ikea bed, seemed a bit wider than a normal double, but got a comfy mattress for a cheapish price. Wouldn't buy again from there tho, too much cheap made stuff. Got the sheets n stuff from john lewis. nearly cost as much as the bed, but goose feathers are mighty warm.

ikea was rammo when i went, about 8pm on a weeknight. People couldnt get enough of it !
Old 08 December 2005, 11:46 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

brought a single bed duvet set from there a few years back... i think it must have been for a midgets single bed as our single duvet wouldnt fit in it...!

IKEA are duff but they sell nice meatballs..
Old 09 December 2005, 09:19 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Bought a new bed from ikea a while ago, supposed to be an economical purchase until we went for their best mattress. All King Size, intended to spend about £200 but ended up about £500.

Anyway, the mattress has been utter sh ite since day, have to turn it every week as it gets 'dips' in both sides. As I sleep on my front this wrecks my back.

Enough is enough- went out and bought a King Size silentnight, just so I can get some bloody sleep without feeling like my back has been broken every morning. Got it home, put on the bed, only to find that the Ikea 'kingsize' bedstead is about 4" wider than a silentnight 'kingsize' mattress. Initially thought the mattress was small but it measures right at 5 foot (ish). Its the bed that big- and the Ikea mattress as well.

Bugger
Have you though about selling on ebay ?

In the past I have noticed anything ikea sells for really resonable money...I suppose it is because buyers know what they are getting.

May be worth a look.

chop
Old 09 December 2005, 09:26 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

I bought a bed from Ikea with the best matress (no point in skimping), and I can't fault it...since I've had it, I've had the best nights sleep for years.
Old 09 December 2005, 09:34 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Our Ikea bed is OK, but the mattress is also crap, and has been forever. They dont have their own bed sizes though, they are just continental size, 1 up from king.

As for the rest of Ikea, I have no problem with their stuff. Nice, cheap easy to build furniture, especially good for VFM office furniture.

All the "I wouldn't buy from Ikea" snobs, are just the same typical bandwagon jumpers as the Microsoft beaters. Not everyone can go out and splash a £1000 on one item of furniture, and there is nothing wrong with Ikea stuff, lights, office furniture, sofa, pictures, wardrobes, all decent enough stuff and a lot of it we've had for over 8 years and its still going strong.

For all the posh *****, what's the alternative to Ikea if you want good value furniture and dressings and a decent range of stuff that looks stylish?