Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Memory Foam Mattress Picking Help

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2008, 01:00 AM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Memory Foam Mattress Picking Help

Hi there guys. I know there is a fairly large collection of people on here so I am assuming some if not a lot of people have emory foam mattresses. I am strugling which one to pick out of this bunch. Which one would you guys pick? Any advice on the subject is much apprecited.

Luxury King Size Memory Foam Mattress + 2 FREE PILLOWS! on eBay, also King-size 5'0 - 5'11 W, Foam Mattresses, Bedroom Furniture, Home Garden (end time 18-Feb-08 11:15:00 GMT)

12 INCH THICK - 5ft King size Memory Foam Mattress on eBay, also King-size 5'0 - 5'11 W, Mattresses, Bedroom Furniture, Home Garden (end time 16-Feb-08 00:00:00 GMT)

10" Luxury King 4" Memory Foam Mattress + Pillows on eBay, also King-size 5'0 - 5'11 W, Mattresses, Bedroom Furniture, Home Garden (end time 16-Feb-08 17:19:16 GMT)

King Size Memory Foam Visco Mattress - Luxurious 12" on eBay, also King-size 5'0 - 5'11 W, Mattresses, Bedroom Furniture, Home Garden (end time 18-Feb-08 20:00:00 GMT)

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 16 February 2008, 08:22 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Dont do it mate, We bought a 'memory' foam mattress from ikea last year. 11 months on i feel like a cripple, as does my bird. Also due to the huge crater thats formed in the middle we both end up pressed together, like it or not. Great when your in the mood, not so great when you wanna get some sleep. Buy a sprung one!
Old 16 February 2008, 08:26 AM
* * * KEV * * *
Scooby Regular

Don't buy the mattress, just buy a 2" Visco Topper and put that on top of the mattress. Big Difference.
Old 16 February 2008, 09:08 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought myself the platinum mattress and it's been great, needs to be switched ends every month or so to keep it's shape, most have 2 layers but this one has 3.

memory foam mattress, memory foam mattresses, memory foam toppers The Memory Foam Mattress Firm

Johnny, sounds like your mattress is way too soft.
Old 16 February 2008, 09:55 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Pocket sprung mattress with a built in memory foam topper is the way to go IMHO

Speak to EinsteinRA (Maz) on here, what he doesn't know about beds and mattresses isn't worth knowing
Old 16 February 2008, 09:57 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Don't take this the wrong way but you're looking in the wrong place and not looking to spend enough

Deffo go and try the mattress before you buy it. We tried loads before finally settling so to speak on one we liked. I wouldn't get one that's 100% foam either, ours is pocket sprung with memory foam on top. The spring provide the support and the foam providing comfort. This mattress has helped enormously with both our backs, in fact I didn't realise I had a back problem till I didn't have one!

Ours is about 3 years old now and we got it knocked down to £500 but it's worth every penny!
Old 16 February 2008, 11:01 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Pocket sprung mattress with a built in memory foam topper is the way to go IMHO

Speak to EinsteinRA (Maz) on here, what he doesn't know about beds and mattresses isn't worth knowing
Thanks Sal. I would be wary of recommending anything without you first having a lay down on it. In my experience the sprung/memory combination is a better feel than the complete foam based ones. You may even find that memory foam isn't for you. It can be very warm and because it feels so 'different' some people find it impossible to get comfortable. I would probably recommend a topper to put over your existing mattress as per Kev's suggestion. See how you get on and then decide if you want to go for the whole mattress. There are alternatives to memory foam like latex which gives a slightly firmer feel and is a lot more durable. This will give the mattress a consistent feel for longer and because it's usually perforated it is cooler too. I would definitely recommend going to a few shops and laying down on a selection of different mattresses (not too may as it will just confuse you), maybe three or four. You mustn't be bashful, lay on each mattress for at least ten minutes changing position. This will give you an idea of the feel and also if the mattress is right or not. Don't feel compelled to buy straight away, if need be have a think perhaps sleep on it (pardon the pun! ) and then commit.
Old 16 February 2008, 11:28 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

We have tempur king size mattresses in our house, plus one small non tempur memory foam jobbie. Tempur = great ( but very expensive) , other one = crap
Old 16 February 2008, 11:38 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Bought myself the platinum mattress and it's been great, needs to be switched ends every month or so to keep it's shape, most have 2 layers but this one has 3.

memory foam mattress, memory foam mattresses, memory foam toppers The Memory Foam Mattress Firm

Johnny, sounds like your mattress is way too soft.
I've also got exactly the same - Luxury Platinum mattress from these guys, and would heartily recommend it and them.

I investigated memory foam mattresses a great deal before buying, and this (specification wise) is virtually identical to the top of the range Tempur mattress at around £1800. Importantly it is:

- 1" of luxury memory foam, on top of
- 3" of 80kgm3 memory foam (so 4" in total) - DENSITY is VERY important. Don't go for 40-60kgm3... Tempur use 80-85kgm3 IIRC.
- 10" deep. Anything more is a waste.
- Delivered (free) uncompressed and ready to use - as Tempur do. The cheaper, les dense mattresses are delivered rolled up and compressed. You need to leave them for 24hrs to uncompress.

Luxury Platinum, with 2 free (small but good) memory foam pillows - King Size - £399

Go for one from these guys.... the eBay ones just aren't the same.

DN
Old 16 February 2008, 11:45 AM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Spent a significant amount on a Tempur mattress about 5 years ago. Still like new, the missus absolutely loves it, my bad back is much better. And by bad I mean, damaged vertebrae after riding a Kawasaki Z550 through the side of a Fiesta. If I spend too long in bed, like 10-12 hours, I seize up. That's because you don't move about so much, as the mattress sort of cuddles you. I'm such a lard ar$e I sink well in, even with the extra thick memory layer. Tried some of the cheaper (£400-£500!) ones and not impressed. If you can't afford a Tempur, do as suggested, get a combo, or add a topper.
Old 16 February 2008, 11:59 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

No, if you can't afford a Tempur (or aren't daft enough to pay the price) - get the Platinum one I and hux309 linked to above - it's virtually identical at a small percentage of the price. Don't get a sprung mattress with a MF topper (either integral or separate) - again, it's a big compromise.

Whatever you do, make sure you know the spec of the memory foam layer before you buy - make sure it's at least 3" and ideally 4", and that it's 80kgm3 or more.
Old 16 February 2008, 12:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dr.No
No, if you can't afford a Tempur (or aren't daft enough to pay the price) - get the Platinum one I and hux309 linked to above - it's virtually identical at a small percentage of the price. Don't get a sprung mattress with a MF topper (either integral or separate) - again, it's a big compromise.

Whatever you do, make sure you know the spec of the memory foam layer before you buy - make sure it's at least 3" and ideally 4", and that it's 80kgm3 or more.
How is a sprung/memory combination mattress a compromise? It is a different specification to the complete foam based ones but in no way a compromise.
Old 16 February 2008, 12:56 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
How is a sprung/memory combination mattress a compromise? It is a different specification to the complete foam based ones but in no way a compromise.
OK, it's different then... and each to their own (and, I know, the "royal appointment" mattresses are all sprung and cost a fortune, etc. etc.) BUT... I found that for firmness and support and that general feeling that there's no buttons or springs or anything underneath you that's spoiling a uniformly supportive sleeping surface - 100% memory foam mattresses were much better.

I tried MANY - across the entire price range - before coming to that conclusion, but now I wouldn't go back to anything with springs in it.

So - IMHO, anything with springs in it - whether it has an MF top or not, would compromise on what I now expect. A compromise... in my view; which is what I was expressing originally.

DN
Old 16 February 2008, 12:59 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

We went to lots of different shops and tried lots of different beds until we found the one we eventually bought. It just felt very, very right and much better for us than any that we'd previously tried. We laid on it for about 10 minutes before eventually negotiating a stonking price, actually I spent about 20 minutes on it whilst battering the salesman down (figuratively of course ) It helped that we knew him so he did us a good discount
Old 16 February 2008, 01:22 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Normal mattress and memory foram topper works fine for us, stays in shape 10 year guarentee and so on, we even went the pillow route too but they are a bit marmite for me some days I like them others I don't and put my normal pillow on top lol.
The 3" topper is good and we still have the firmness of the main mattress

If I was doing it again though I would probably do the all in one unit instead of buying the topper afterwards but for us it was our first time

Good luck.
Old 16 February 2008, 06:45 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Parents have a £1200 spung mattress, spent a fortune on the thing and still found it very uncomfortable, they ended up putting a memory foam topper on top, even then it isn't ideal as that just makes the thing too damn soft to the point where you sink in the thing.

My mattress has been fantastic, felt hard as nails at first compared to the others but i soon adjusted and now i wonder how i managed without the thing, for the money they are top notch.

Just be prepared to what a bit, they are very busy and use their own vans to deliver so a delay of 1-2 weeks is typical but for the price your laughing.

I only plumped for this after chasing up as many reviews as i could.

Last edited by hux309; 16 February 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 16 February 2008, 07:47 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Listen to Maz and ignore the advice of people who've bought from the likes of IKEA.

James (Sales Manager, Dreams)
Old 16 February 2008, 07:56 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Inner Wisdom, Sleepeezee and Slumberland all produce honest product for between £700 & £1600 and are very much worth a look. If you pop into one of our stores and find a bed you're happy with, PM me and I'll give you 10% as I have done for a dozen or so other SNET members.
Old 16 February 2008, 09:44 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

After trying many, many beds we eventually went for a Sealy Posturepedic Ultra Luxe Memory Supreme. Hugely comfortable for us. There are soooo many out there that feel so very different and then different again on srung/solid bases. Try them all and be willing to spend a bit for the right one. We spent the best part of 3 hours in the one shop. Buying a bed is a tiring experience
Old 17 February 2008, 09:18 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That's a good point. Whatever you do, don't spend a whole day driving around between different stores tiring yourself out - all that will happen is you'll find they seem to get more and more comfortable the more tired you are. You'll end up buying one towards the end of the day just because it seems really comfy, not because it actually is but because you're knackered.

Same goes for sofas too!
Old 17 February 2008, 09:48 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Don't get a sprung it's a big compromise.
Utter nonsense. An expert after one shopping experience.
Old 17 February 2008, 10:28 AM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Utter nonsense. An expert after one shopping experience.

...and 40 years of sleeping...
Old 17 February 2008, 12:07 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

stop argueing. i just sked about a mattress ffs.

thanks for all the help im going to go and try some then decide.
Old 17 February 2008, 05:55 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Fair enough!

Sorry Fraser, I was feeling a bit grumpy this morning after ten days on the bounce chasing targets. Quite why I read a thread about mattresses I don't know.
Old 17 February 2008, 09:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

By heck you're doing well for a 120 year old We spend a third of our lives in bed.
Old 17 February 2008, 09:42 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Fair enough!

Sorry Fraser, I was feeling a bit grumpy this morning after ten days on the bounce chasing targets. Quite why I read a thread about mattresses I don't know.
The tenacious never stop.