Best defence ever

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2008, 08:56 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best defence ever

BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Stone 'planned to kill SF leader'

So, the story is that Michael Stone entered the Stormont Assembly building in Northern Ireland with a gun (that turned out to be a fake) nail bombs, a garotte and some knives, where he was goign to kill Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness.

Now I'm not making any comment at all on the minefield of Northern Irish politics. But, this guy has come up wi the best excuse ever invented for his actions.

He has said it was "performance art". That's ****ing brilliant.

It's a cover all for any crime you ever commit.

Caught speeding? Performance art.
Rob a bank? Performance art

Genius.
Old 12 May 2008, 09:20 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Stone is a class one loon though - I wouldn't put anything past him.. lol

Your talking about the person who single handedly stormed a PIRA members funeral and started lobbing grenades around remember...
Old 12 May 2008, 09:27 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Still held in very high regards in some circles is old 'Rambo Stone'
Old 12 May 2008, 09:39 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

absolute legend in my books , talk about fighting for your cause ......
Old 12 May 2008, 09:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

So, the story is that Michael Stone entered the Stormont Assembly building in Northern Ireland with a gun (that turned out to be a fake) nail bombs, a garotte and some knives, where he was goign to kill Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness.

Now I'm not making any comment at all on the minefield of Northern Irish politics. But, this guy has come up wi the best excuse ever invented for his actions.

Genius.
Isnt this the idiot who attacked a Nationalist funeral and ended up getting two off duty soldiers killed (because they woulndt shoot the unarmed mob with their sidearms)?
Old 12 May 2008, 09:42 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by abbott
Your a bright one ?
Old 12 May 2008, 09:46 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Isnt this the idiot who attacked a Nationalist funeral and ended up getting two off duty soldiers killed (because they woulndt shoot the unarmed mob with their sidearms)?
No.

a) They weren't off-duty. It's a long story - but basically came down to bad luck and bad judgment on their part.

b) While the initial reaction of the funeral procession was because they believed it was another Stone style attack - by the time the two Cpl's had been removed from their car, bundled into a taxi and taken to some waste ground - they had been identified as British Soldiers. It was at that point they were executed.

c) They didn't shoot the crowd because the passenger suffered a stoppage with his Browning. The driver failed to react in time.

Anyone who has served in N Ireland knows that a good percentage of the population doesn't need the excuse of Micheal Stone to shoot a squaddie in the back of the head.

No offence is meant to the Irish members here by that - but you know as well as I do the areas on both sides that everyone is best keeping out of!

Last edited by Prasius; 12 May 2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12 May 2008, 09:52 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, the end result is still the same. Dead bodies.
Old 12 May 2008, 10:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
No.

a) They weren't off-duty. It's a long story - but basically came down to bad luck and bad judgment on their part.

b) While the initial reaction of the funeral procession was because they believed it was another Stone style attack - by the time the two Cpl's had been removed from their car, bundled into a taxi and taken to some waste ground - they had been identified as British Soldiers. It was at that point they were executed.

c) They didn't shoot the crowd because the passenger suffered a stoppage with his Browning. The driver failed to react in time.

Anyone who has served in N Ireland knows that a good percentage of the population doesn't need the excuse of Micheal Stone to shoot a squaddie in the back of the head.

No offence is meant to the Irish members here by that - but you know as well as I do the areas on both sides that everyone is best keeping out of!
Fair enough: my point was that this was the Loyalist idiot who attacked the funeral. With regards to your inside knowledge: this explains what always struck me (even then) as a highly unlikely chain of events, if the news stories were to be believed.

Simon
Old 12 May 2008, 10:53 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad555
Still held in very high regards in some circles is old 'Rambo Stone'
He did not seem to be much of a Rambo to me from the news shots. Held down by one guy and a woman. He had the weapons and the surprise, and was taken down on entry....good job too as the guy is a nutter.
Old 13 May 2008, 12:54 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Genius.

10/10 for imagination. suspect that's at the direction of the accused. can't imagine any sane legal defence team would be mad enough to vouch that to the beak with a straight face. no doubt the jury will giggle and shake their heads as they pass the guilty verdict!

i'm no big fan of modern art but judging by the pictures on C4 News last night, he's actually pretty good with the oils ...
Old 13 May 2008, 01:07 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

As much of a terrorist fundamentalist nutcase as Osama Bin Laden. I wonder how long a post supporting Osama would remain uninfracted and undeleted on this website?
Old 13 May 2008, 01:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A fundamentalist nutcase is exactly what he is: surely no one is supporting him though?
Old 13 May 2008, 02:06 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

He's a dab handy with a brush though.....
Old 13 May 2008, 02:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
As much of a terrorist fundamentalist nutcase as Osama Bin Laden. I wonder how long a post supporting Osama would remain uninfracted and undeleted on this website?
I was trying to avoid exactly this sort of thing

Originally Posted by Me
Now I'm not making any comment at all on the minefield of Northern Irish politics.
Old 13 May 2008, 04:13 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by abbott
If this isn't support for terrorism what is?
Old 13 May 2008, 04:36 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Indeed - My post was highlighting the "performance art" angle - Rather than any comment on what he did or his reasons for doing it. It sort of got away from that , ooh by the second post
Old 13 May 2008, 04:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This SN after all: you have to expect/ignore the odd mentalist...
Old 13 May 2008, 06:22 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

hmmmmmm does this make me a terrorist yeah ?

i should have maybe worded my sentence a little better as i dont actually condone the actions , just admire a man who is willing to take on a lot of dangerous dangerous people single handedly with no concern on his own well being .
Old 13 May 2008, 06:23 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
He did not seem to be much of a Rambo to me from the news shots. Held down by one guy and a woman. He had the weapons and the surprise, and was taken down on entry....good job too as the guy is a nutter.

Rambo was the nickname he was given in olden times.His son used to drive a 22B aswell!!.
Old 13 May 2008, 06:33 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
No.

Well said,but there was calls made by a R.U.C. DMSU from nearby Andersonstown RUC station to go in and get the two soliders out,and there requests were denied.
Old 13 May 2008, 06:37 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

how long before this gets locked due to daft comments ?? guy was a nutcase, sorry , is a nutcase.. of which they are all too many all over....
Old 17 May 2008, 12:05 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Abbott - You sound like one of the lads in Manchester kicking the fkuc out of the police at the UEFA cup. Are you really that dim, or can you just not see the bigger picture