Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parachute Jump, How crazy am i!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 11:49 AM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parachute Jump, How crazy am i!!

Anyone here ever done a Parachute Jump?

The girlie and I have been asked to raise money for Cancer Research by doing a parachute jump, now to get us both to jump we had to raise at least 400 quid... I expected not to get close and maybe only one of us jump but my work have been really good(or not good in my head) and have raised nearly 1k, which i have to jump. It is a 10,000ft jump with 30 second freefall, and to be honest totally crapping myself, as i assumed i wouldnt have to take part in the jump just the raising of money.

I love rollercoasters but i think this may break me in 2!

Any one done it? no horror stories please just the good things, lol
Old 05 July 2005, 12:03 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, absolutly fantastic

I did it a few years back from 14,000 ft, so I got a big longer freefall, and 5 mins under canopy, the deadly silence is good, no bird noises, etc etc just total silence, bar the parachute flapping about a bit

I raised quite a few hundred quid too for charity, and it was so good I wanted to do it again
Old 05 July 2005, 12:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a piece of pi$$ and nothing like a coaster. You get a fraction of a seconds worth of feeling in your stomach as you fall the first couple of feet out the plane. Stand still and fall on a matress and that's basically what you'd feel

The freefall itself doesn't feel like anything. It's like sticking your head out a car window at 150mph, so the only thing you feel is the windrush.

The scariest thing is the anticipation in the plane and then the sudden realization that your about to throw yourself out a plane. You can more of thrill from the parachute ride at the end.

You'll love it
Old 05 July 2005, 12:05 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Southern Guy
Anyone here ever done a Parachute Jump?

The girlie and I have been asked to raise money for Cancer Research by doing a parachute jump, now to get us both to jump we had to raise at least 400 quid... I expected not to get close and maybe only one of us jump but my work have been really good(or not good in my head) and have raised nearly 1k, which i have to jump. It is a 10,000ft jump with 30 second freefall, and to be honest totally crapping myself, as i assumed i wouldnt have to take part in the jump just the raising of money.

I love rollercoasters but i think this may break me in 2!

Look on the bright side, if you go splat then you wont feel a thing

Seriously, you will love it!!! Everyone is nervous on the first jump. But I can assure you that as soon as you land you will want to go straight back up.

Think of it this way! When was the last time you heard someone go splat on a jump taking in mind that there are hundreds of jumps every day?

Be a man and do the jump!
Old 05 July 2005, 12:07 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Presumably it's going to be tandem? If so I assume the following doesn't apply, but I heard the most important thing was to keep your feet together when you land - most people are told this but are always tempted to stick a foot out at the last second, and end up breaking a leg/ankle/whatever.

Disclaimer - never done a jump so the above may be total BS...
Old 05 July 2005, 12:12 PM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Presumably it's going to be tandem? If so I assume the following doesn't apply, but I heard the most important thing was to keep your feet together when you land - most people are told this but are always tempted to stick a foot out at the last second, and end up breaking a leg/ankle/whatever.

Disclaimer - never done a jump so the above may be total BS...
It is a tandem jump, you get about 1-2 hours training in the morning then up in the plane where you are sh!tting yourself, i think i am going to just shut my eyes and let the instructor push me out lol!

least it will be something to tell the grandkids
Old 05 July 2005, 12:16 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

my training was about 5 mins worth The instructor does all the hard work, you just need to remember to listen to what he tells you and don't scream like a big girl's blouse as you exit the plane - it's not cool

Oh and since you're strapped to the instructor you'll be thrown out with him

If you like coasters you'll absolutely love a tandem jump
Old 05 July 2005, 12:18 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

did 3 solo static-line jumps from 3,000 ft when 19 at bridlington. seriously enjoyable. the adrenaline hit is instant and HUGE. you'll be laughing & swearing uncontrollably all the way down.

make sure your meat and two veg are properly arranged and well away from the harness: the crotch-jerk when the chute opens is really full-on.
Old 05 July 2005, 12:40 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Did 13,000 ft jump in Switzerland, it was one of the best experiances of my life.. and I've managed a few

If you get the option of having a video done, do it.. its priceless I'd love to do another, and will one day

Old 05 July 2005, 12:44 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Did a 3,500 static line jump a few years back and fully enjoyed it and would do it again. The scariest part was the banger of a plane with no door.

Bob
Old 05 July 2005, 01:04 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Did a 3,500 static line jump a few years back and fully enjoyed it and would do it again. The scariest part was the banger of a plane with no door.

Bob
Your dead right about the plane, i done one at Headcorn year's ago, (not long after some girl had jumped and gone through the blade's of a helicopter, HONESTLY, if anyone remembers it). I think the plane was a B+N Islander, i was first to jump, so sat opposite the hole where the door should have been, and when the plane banked over to turn, i was sliding toward's the hole trying to stop myself exiting the plane to early! However, have to say one of the best thing's i've ever done though, i'd reccommend it to anyone.
Old 05 July 2005, 02:01 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Southern Guy

Horror story here I'm afraid.

For Charity (Marie Curie).
Raised £1100, medical bills in excess of £11,000.

I'll always recall the surgeon at Stirling Royal Infirmary (after the ops) giving me the biggest political rant about the number of idiots jumping out of planes and the stress on the NHS.
A&E mentioned that they see 3 people a week in ambulances from the parachute centre, most if not all on charity jumps. This was at a quiet airfield. It seems that at least 1 in 10 do themselves a mischief.

I'd still do it though!

C
Old 05 July 2005, 02:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

You'll get horror stories from anything in life. Your more likely to get injured out on the pi$$ on a Friday night.

My instructor had over 9000 jumps under his belt so if anything was going to go wrong I figured it would just be bad luck or me making the mistake of not lifting my legs on landing.

Is that Stirling, Scotland?? and the jump centre in Fife? If so, I would avoid that like the plague if they're having so many accidents.
Old 05 July 2005, 03:48 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I was talking to my father in law this weekend about a parachute jump he did, (he wants to do another) and he mentioned that this time he'd use a square parachute as opposed to a round one as the landing is much slower with a square one. Are round ones still used?
Old 05 July 2005, 07:31 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Statistically, its one of the safest pass times you can do, allegedly
Old 05 July 2005, 07:39 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I was talking to my father in law this weekend about a parachute jump he did, (he wants to do another) and he mentioned that this time he'd use a square parachute as opposed to a round one as the landing is much slower with a square one. Are round ones still used?
The square parachutes behave as a wing and give forward motion as well as steering, upto 10 mph. Just before you land, you pull down on both cords, causing the wing(parachute) to stall the forward motion. If you time it right, the landing is smooth, just like taking your first step into a walk. AFAIK the round parachutes dont have this.
Old 05 July 2005, 09:12 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

I did a static jump a few years ago and it was for charity. Although I am glad i did it I wouldnt do another one. And like has been said before, the plane was terrifiying and the only reason i jumped was to get out of the plane! A girl who went up in the plane after me landed wrongly and broke her leg.

You should be alright and good luck!