Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car wouldn't start....now fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2015, 07:06 PM
SilverM3
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wouldn't start....now fixed!

So I'm already running late when I jump in the wagon ready to head off to work but when I turn the key, the starter motor changes tone, starts to whine and the engine won't fire up....

Tried a couple more times, plenty of battery charge there as it lets me carry on trying to turn the engine over....still sounding 'whiney'....

Anyway, I stop because something's obviously wrong and I don't want to kill the battery or cause any further damage.

At this point, I only have 2 choices because I know very little about the mechanical side of things, at least when it actually comes to getting my hands dirty!

Option 1 is to call a mobile mechanic as the car is stuck at home and I don't have any breakdown recovery and option 2 is to drop James a txt to see if he can help...

James is Jameswrx on here and since I bought the car from him (Mica Red classic wagon), he's not only serviced the car for me but also been happy to reply to my stupid questions when I've needed info etc.

Anyway, after asking me to try a few things, he asks me to disconnect the MAF sensor and try starting it again....it fires up, lumpy, but alive!

James advises not to drive it if I can avoid and also sends me a link to a reasonably priced supplier. Also suggests I disconnect the battery overnight.

The new MAF arrived today, I fitted it with no issues (bought myself some tamper proof torx screwdrivers - size t20 if anyone needs to know!) and all seems great!

This is why I love car forums and would only ever buy a car from an enthusiast (similar discussion about private sales vs using dealers on m3cutters at the moment...)

Thanks again James!
Old 25 September 2015, 07:21 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Always thought a dodgy maf would cause crap running, not stop the car starting altogether. You live and learn
Old 26 September 2015, 06:37 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds like you've saved a bit of money there,
Old 26 September 2015, 09:14 PM
prodriveraberdeen
Scooby Newbie

if i unplug my MAF the car wont start. ive seen a lot of comments about doing this, so is this different on classics v newage?
Old 29 December 2016, 05:10 AM
Johnpara123
Scooby Newbie

That is great news have safe and smooth drive. And if you still face any problems go only with certified Muffer store for replacement of car parts.
Old 15 March 2017, 09:39 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone is a bit fatigued today.
Old 15 March 2017, 09:46 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Someone is a bit fatigued today.
New fangled mobile phones make posting a challenge for old people like me
Old 24 February 2021, 01:01 PM
Glenn Donaldson

Originally Posted by SilverM3
So I'm already running late when I jump in the wagon ready to head off to work but when I turn the key, the starter motor changes tone, starts to whine and the engine won't fire up....

Tried a couple more times, plenty of battery charge there as it lets me carry on trying to turn the engine over....still sounding 'whiney'....

Anyway, I stop because something's obviously wrong and I don't want to kill the battery or cause any further damage.

At this point, I only have 2 choices because I know very little about the mechanical side of things, at least when it actually comes to getting my hands dirty!

Option 1 is to call a mobile mechanic as the car is stuck at home and I don't have any breakdown recovery and option 2 is to drop James a txt to see if he can help...

James is Jameswrx on here and since I bought the car from him (Mica Red classic wagon), he's not only serviced the car for me but also been happy to reply to my stupid questions when I've needed info etc.

Anyway, after asking me to try a few things, he asks me to disconnect the MAF sensor and try starting it again....it fires up, lumpy, but alive!

James advises not to drive it if I can avoid and also sends me a link to a reasonably priced supplier. Also suggests I disconnect the battery overnight.

The new MAF arrived today, I fitted it with no issues (bought myself some tamper proof torx screwdrivers - size t20 if anyone needs to know!) and all seems great!

This is why I love car forums and would only ever buy a car from an enthusiast (similar discussion about private sales vs using dealers on m3cutters at the moment...)

Thanks again James!
What is a maf
​​​​​​
Old 24 February 2021, 01:03 PM
Glenn Donaldson

Originally Posted by SilverM3

Thanks again James!
What is a maf
​​​​​​