Supersize me

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2004, 10:12 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supersize me

Any one else seen this?

Opened my eyes. Definatley will not be having fast food for a while.

Always dreamed of going to America when I was younger and seeing all the lovely ladies that would resemble girls from the set of Baywatch. I now see that this is impossible.

Makes you wonder how big people are going to get. Couldnt believe the size of a "supersize"

Very good film I thought. well edited and informative.

McDonalds must be screwing about it.
Old 09 September 2004, 10:33 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Yes, saw it a few days ago. Much scarier than Open Water....

"If you're gonna carry on with this crazy diet, then at least take an asprin every day."

"Nah, I can't - McDonalds don't sell asprin."

Good film, and will probably do for McDonalds what Fahrenheit 9/11 did for Dubbleya - but MaccyD's certainly won't be happy about it. But, at least they can't say they didn't get the chance to comment!

Watch it if you can - well worth it.
Old 09 September 2004, 10:36 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ISTR McDs took out an advert a week or two ago in the national papers which basically said "we agree with the film - trying to live on a restricted diet of ANYTHING for such a long time is bad for your health. We expect people to eat McDs once or twice a week."

Think I just missed it at an independent near me - bugger
Old 09 September 2004, 10:39 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I don't know whether to watch this or not, I eat tonnes of ****e like McD's, not through choice, just busy with work, and it's there and easy. Is there any websites that say similar to the film? curious.
Old 09 September 2004, 10:46 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

he gained 5% of his body weight within just a few days! 2 weeks in they told him to stop or he could die!! mental!! ive not had as many mcds since!! scary.

jamo
Old 09 September 2004, 10:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Always dreamed of going to America when I was younger and seeing all the lovely ladies that would resemble girls from the set of Baywatch. I now see that this is impossible.
Don't worry....Daytona Beach during Spring Break is still full of lovelies..........

Thank medical science for lyposuction
Old 09 September 2004, 11:24 PM
King RA
BANNED

if you ate nothing but roast dinners for a month you'd probably be ill. The best diet is a BALANCED diet. Super Size Me proves nothing.

Like we didn't know Mcd's food is full of ****??? I don't need someone eating it for a whole month to tell me it's not healthy.
Old 09 September 2004, 11:31 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
if you ate nothing but roast dinners for a month you'd probably be ill. The best diet is a BALANCED diet. Super Size Me proves nothing.

Like we didn't know Mcd's food is full of ****??? I don't need someone eating it for a whole month to tell me it's not healthy.
Exactly - BK, Fish & Chips, roasts etc are all fine when eaten in moderation, ie. a couple of times a month - but eat any of them every day and your gonna be in trouble! Whilst I'm not a fan of maccy d's I think this is a bit harsh

Matt
Old 10 September 2004, 07:28 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

is this the thing where the guy eats nothing but mcd's every day for a month just to prove a point that it is not healthy and turns his liver to pate?

i read about it in a magazine ages ago, how can i see the documentry/film??
Old 10 September 2004, 07:54 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Facts from the film........

Each day, 1 in 4 Americans visits a fast food restaurant

In 1972, we spent 3 billion a year on fast food - today we spend more than 110 billion

McDonald's feeds more than 46 million people a day - more than the entire population of Spain

French fries are the most eaten vegetable in America

You would have to walk for seven hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fry and Big Mac

In the U.S., we eat more than 1,000,000 animals an hour

60 % of all Americans are either overweight or obese

One in every three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime

Left unabated, obesity will surpass smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in America

Obesity has been linked to: Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease, Adult Onset Diabetes, Stroke, Gall Bladder Disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep Apnea, Respiratory Problems, Endometrial, Breast, Prostate and Colon Cancers, Dyslipidemia, steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, breathlessness, Asthma, Hyperuricaemia, reproductive hormone abnormalities, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired fertility and lower back pain

The average child sees 10,000 TV advertisements per year

Only seven items on McDonald's entire menu contain no sugar

Willard Scott was the first Ronald McDonald - he was fired for being too fat

McDonald's distributes more toys per year than Toys-R-Us

Diabetes will cut 17-27 years off your life

McDonald's: "Any processing our foods undergo make them more dangerous than unprocessed foods"

The World Health Organization has declared obesity a global epidemic

Eating fast food may be dangerous to your health

McDonald's calls people who eat a lot of their food "Heavy Users"

McDonald's operates more than 30,000 restaurants in more then 100 countries on 6 continents

Before most children can speak they can recognize McDonald's

Surgeon General David Satcher: "Fast food is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic"

Most nutritionists recommend not eating fast food more than once a month

40% of American meals are eaten outside the home

McDonald's represents 43% of total U.S. fast food market
Old 10 September 2004, 08:12 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I think the saddest thing about all this are the people who are either to stupid or to weak and purely live off this ****.

Every now and then I may have a day of crap food - maybe McD brekkie, supermarket sarnie for lunch and curry for dinner. The next day you feel like 5hite. How can people do this every day?

And the fat people that are say, 20 stone, what the fvck goes through their minds to continue eating so much **** and junk- and what do they think when they get to 30 stone? Oops?

Fast food companies should be made to put warning labels on their food - ie, eating more than 1 xxx meal per week is bad for your health, could lead to diabetese, obesity and death. Or burgers taste great but make you fat and uglier etc
Old 10 September 2004, 09:31 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

IMO it's merely Darwin's theory in action. The only problem is that successive modern nanny governments have convinced us that we have an obligation to save stupid people from themselves.

Let them eat themselves to death I say, leaves more room for the rest of us
Old 10 September 2004, 10:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mj
I don't know whether to watch this or not, I eat tonnes of ****e like McD's, not through choice, just busy with work, and it's there and easy. Is there any websites that say similar to the film? curious.
Only takes 2 minutes in a morning to make a sandwich
Old 10 September 2004, 12:15 PM
MikT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Only takes 2 minutes in a morning to make a sandwich
That's the point that people miss when they use the "i'm too busy with life" crap.

How much more time does it take you to (godforbid) walk, more likely drive, to the nearest MikkyD's, queue for your burger, and then walk or drive back to work. And hey if you are really organised you can even make it the night before!

Last edited by MikT; 10 September 2004 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Replaced 'sarnie' with 'burger'. You'll know why if you aren't one of the dumb ones!
Old 10 September 2004, 12:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

MikT, its called lazyness, and I'll admit to it, I cant be ar$ed fekking about picking up some muffins and fillings for different days of the week when I go shopping. pain in the ar$e tbh, I dont mind driving to maccy dees, much easier although ALDI's chocolate is keeping me occupied today, most gorgeous choccy u can get
Old 10 September 2004, 03:21 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Old 10 September 2004, 03:33 PM
King RA
BANNED

You cannot snub Mcd's convenience.....
Old 11 September 2004, 12:14 AM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

saw it a couple of months ago, can honestly say its put me off and ive not had one since.
if anyone wants it its on a few torrent sites or pm me
Old 31 October 2004, 07:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Just saw this - at LAST. Nice. Horrible fidgety camerawork that made me feel carsick at the beginning, then you have to watch the guy throw up after he forces down his first supersize - was that REALLY necessary? The one other gripe was him talking at high speed through a large amount of facts, a bit info overload for my poor old 19th century brain. Anyway, greatly enjoyed it by the end of the film.
Old 31 October 2004, 09:31 PM
Trumptton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CraigH
Fast food companies should be made to put warning labels on their food - ie, eating more than 1 xxx meal per week is bad for your health, could lead to diabetese, obesity and death. Or burgers taste great but make you fat and uglier etc
Great in theory but done nothing putting this kind of **** on *** packets to stop the anti social butt flicking ******* puffing their hearts out and costing the NHS millions of pounds a year just coz they "have the right" to smoke, my god if that wasnt the lamest excuse i ever heard!! who wants to be around stinking fat smoking selfish arseholes is beyond me, they cost US more in tax through the wasted NHS money treating these arrogant "Ihave the right" ****** than chavs do in housing benefits.

owen
Old 31 October 2004, 09:43 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Super Size Me proves nothing.
I totally disagree.It proves that a human being cannot survive on McDonalds food.
Old 31 October 2004, 10:00 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I had a maccers yesterday and was feeling rather fat for the rest of the day, dont really like the stuff but brother had free meal tokens to use up
Old 31 October 2004, 10:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Loved the bit where the psychologist(?) explained how the kids were made to go to McD's at an early age and associate it with enjoyment - playgrounds, toys, etc. Then Spurlock says "when I get a kid, every time we drive past McDonalds I'm going to punch him in the face"

And couldn't help thinking of scoobynet when one chap describes how a smoker was harrassed at a meeting, showing it's socially acceptable to accost smokers - but why not fat people? There was a large woman at the same table, "why didn't someone turn to her and say Hey, you fat pig, why don't you stop eating so much? Go get some exercise! And don't you dare think about dessert!"
Old 01 November 2004, 12:09 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

What is the point of this film? You eat lots of burgers, you get fat. Duh!
SomethingAwful summed it up perfectly when they said this film tells us nothing new and is hardly groundbreaking investigative journalism as Michael Moore has been eating cheeseburgers and getting fat for far longer than this guy. Or words to that effect.
No-one forced you to eat McDs, though I must admit that stopping at one one en route to my first job is far easier that getting up 15 minutes earlier and making breakfast.
Old 01 November 2004, 02:57 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumptton
Great in theory but done nothing putting this kind of **** on *** packets to stop the anti social butt flicking ******* puffing their hearts out and costing the NHS millions of pounds a year just coz they "have the right" to smoke, my god if that wasnt the lamest excuse i ever heard!! who wants to be around stinking fat smoking selfish arseholes is beyond me, they cost US more in tax through the wasted NHS money treating these arrogant "Ihave the right" ****** than chavs do in housing benefits.

owen
Is your real name Stalin, Pol Pot or Hitler ??