Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kickboxing in Reading

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2004, 11:11 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickboxing in Reading

Hi i see there have been a few threads about martial arts on here before but i was just wondering if there is anyone who knows of any kickboxing clubs/lessons in Reading as im pretty sure this is what i would like to do but finding it hard to find anywhere to do it.

tons of karate clubs but after looking into a couple not sure this is for me.

any help would be great

thanks
Leslie
Old 23 August 2004, 08:26 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

i dont live in reading so cant help exactly.. but usually kickboxing clubs get together at gyms rather than have a specific venue a la martial arts clubs. so googling/yelling for "kickboxing" probably wont get u anything.

its worth calling your local gyms and asking if they have any kickboxing classes on. certainly the bigger named ones will.

be aware tho, that kickboxing clubs are *usually* less organized than martial arts.. and can often just be half a dozen people getting together for general fitness and punching/kicking bags rather than actually learning combat.

if you're looking for general fitness, thats great. but if you're wanting to learn to defend yourself, re-consider martial arts (ju-jitsu i would highly recommend).

tkd is another u might like to look into if u dont think karate is for u. this has quite a big following, but dont expect to kick too many people's asses with it
Old 23 August 2004, 10:41 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

You may also find some of the martial art centres run kickboxing classes or offer mixed martial arts.
Old 23 August 2004, 11:02 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Stick to your Guns and find a decent Kickboxing club in Reading, I know there are some because I used to fight in tournaments against them, just not sure where they are based, but as Milo said it is generally in a gym!

If you find a quality kickboxing club they will cross train you in Kickboxing with some ju jitsu included... if they don't cross train you and someone gets inside your guard you are a dead man because kickboxing is based on the fact that you will keep someone at a distance, so make sure you train with a good club which will include ground work!
Old 23 August 2004, 06:52 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much guys for all your advice its been very overwhelming trying to choose a martial art and find the right club at first i thought it would be a simple case of just choosing one but that does not seem to be the case.

Karate by far seems to be the biggest off all the martial arts or at least the most advertised.

I will keep on my search for kickboxing but as you have mentioned ju jitsu also looks as it could be a good place to start but no luck in finding any local clubs for this as yet either

cheers guys
Old 23 August 2004, 08:55 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Can't beat Ju jitsu and kickboxing in combination. If you can find both and do both...go for it!
Old 24 August 2004, 09:08 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Karate is boardering on a useless sport, it is very regimented and limited to what you can do and learn..... Kickboxing and Ju Jitsu will give you the all round knowledge and skills to look after yourself what ever the situation or the size the other guy!

If you have time do both as Aaquil suggests, if not look or a kickboxing class that will cross train
Old 24 August 2004, 07:16 PM
Scooby7
Scooby Regular

thanks yeah alot of people seem to say just one martial art is sometimes pretty useless on its own, im happy to try either of the two just need to find some local classes.lol

cheers