Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

:Yawn: ANOTHER Radar Detector Question....

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2004, 07:17 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :Yawn: ANOTHER Radar Detector Question....

Girlfriend got the NIP yesterday. Another 3points to go with the 3 she already has. 51 in a 40. She was so upset, broke my heart to see her cry so much. Anyway thought I'd buy her a littel suprise to go with the new Lupo GTi she picks up at the begining of September.
A radar detector.
Taken a look at the New Road Angel looks good but you know what?
I haven't got a clue.
Is this the 'best' one for the dough? Anyone bought the new road angel yet?
Just tell me which one to get.
400notes max
Old 22 August 2004, 08:01 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The authorities are currently looking at making radar and laser detectors illegal. From your post, however, it looks like you may be considering one of the GPS based devices and these will continue to be legal. Your problem, I suppose, is that many of the GPS based devices now also have laser and radar detectors as part of the package.

As you may be aware your GF has 28 days to return her NIP. An expert on EU law has determined that the NIP is illegal because of the demands it makes in terms of negating your right to silence and to not incriminate yourself. This matter is currently awaiting appeal here in the UK, though it is possible that it may be taken out of the hands of the High Court before they get to decide upon it.

However, your GF may care to send the letter available on this page to the local CC while she waits to send her NIP off after 28 days (well, allowing for postage) there is nothing illegal about this and even if it doesn't get her any satisfaction at this stage it may help her position once a class action is taken against the police in respect of the NIPs they have been issuing:

http://www.pepipoo.com/NewForums2/vi...er=asc&start=0

It might also cheer her up to be doing something positive and the longer the delay the less time the points are on her license as they are not applied until she is "convicted" but are dated from the offence.

Good luck.
Old 23 August 2004, 12:19 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=350178

Someone has been on to Road Angel about the new law that's coming in ,this is there reply

Firstly, please rest assured Road Angel is fine.

Thursday and Friday were quite exciting for us! Since we launched in 2002 there has been constant speculation surrounding the ‘radar’ detector market. This was started by a court case between the DTi (Department for Trade and Industry) and a radar detector manufacturer. The case, which is still ongoing, was not based upon the use of the product but the fact that the huge emissions from some radar detectors interfere with other devices – in their case Sky Satellite boxes!

Following this investigation, the DfT (Department for Transport) wish to ‘clear-up’ the industry at the same time.

Our understanding is "The Department for Transport is looking at ways to outlaw these systems because it believes they interfere electronically with the operation of speed cameras".

Whilst GPS devices are approved there is some confusion over laser, brought on by the use of diffusers and jammers. As you know, Laser detection is passive and does not interfere with any police devices.

Road Angel has no emissions and is fully Vehicle Conformity Approved.

I hope this answers your questions and would have no issues surrounding the purchase of a new road angel.

Best Regards

Dave Clark
Old 23 August 2004, 11:16 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Despite this I still believe that the intention is to make the devices illegal, regardless of their RFI problems, or lack of them. I believe there is an attack on them taking place on two fronts: one front is in relation the the RFI (Radio Frequency Interferance) they produce which I suspect would be the ultimate responsibility of the DTI and the other front of attack is from the DfT and police who are questioning the actual legality of the devices, regardless of their RFI or other outputs.

As pointed out RFI problems will be largely comfined to radar detectors with a super-het circuit but this would not stop a law being passed which just made both types of device illegal regardless of their RF output, or lack of it.

There is no intention to make GPS devices illegal as the government wants to fit remote control ISA systems to your car in the near future and so does not want to introduce legislation that will muddy those waters.

I am aware that this has been a long running battle but worth taking a look here:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/banned.htm

It is a tricky decision but it might be worth considering a device that has neither laser or radar detection just in case. On the other hand I suppose you might take the chance and hope that it's years before they get the laws sorted out.
Old 24 August 2004, 08:20 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Get an origin B2 'lite' this has the aerial all built in, and is ready to go. Is GPS so not illigal, comes with lazer attachment, but you can remove it, if worried about the legality.

And, it looks damn sexy
Old 24 August 2004, 11:52 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has she opened the NIP yet?

Read this important info first:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/unsigned.html
Old 24 August 2004, 12:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get in contact with jaycee.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=355797
Old 24 August 2004, 12:30 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

get her one of those sun visors that go right across the screen. Get SLOW DOWN printed on the back of it
Old 24 August 2004, 07:23 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the splendid advice folks. Will go through all of it and see what we can do as a fight back.
Fast bloke, thats a damb fine idea