Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mahoosive Telly's

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2004, 08:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mahoosive Telly's

A freind is on about getting one, a Samsung SP-46L3HX, not sure why she asked me, apparently its because I know about computers, not sure that qualifies me about TV's, especially as my wife prefers tv's not visible to the naked eye.

Anyway, had a look at the aforementioned Samsung and its a rear projection tv, is that or is that not a poor relation to Plasma and LCD, its 1700 quid plus so I wouldnt want her to waste the money, my advice was buy a smaller LCD or Plasma, I am sure you batchelor boys and men with more tolerant partners will enlighten me !
Old 19 August 2004, 09:00 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean those ones that you see in the window of houses as you drive by.
Old 19 August 2004, 09:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

46 inch, I suspect it can be seen from space.
Old 19 August 2004, 09:04 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

personally i am not a fan of rear proj. the picture quality is not as good for the money and the viewing angle generally sucks. for £1700 you could get a really good 36in crt and have change left over. i dont think you'd get a great plasma for that money tbh and if so it'd be small. if that budget is fixed and it were my money, id be going crt.

i am no expert tho, but some of the folks on here are:
http://www.avforums.com

do a search for the one your friend is thinking of getting on there or just ask the same question over there

chances are someone on there has that set so can comment better.
Old 19 August 2004, 09:07 PM
IPKIS
Scooby Regular

If you want size a projector is the way to go with a 7FT screen
Old 19 August 2004, 09:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Its not for me, I will being going Plasma or use a projector, going to convert the garage with the sole intention of home cinema, with absolutely no consideration being given to ornaments, fireplaces, pets, taste, decor or cost. I am anticipating spending about six grand for the sources, screen, amplification and speakers.
Old 19 August 2004, 09:26 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Personally don't like rear projection either. Relatively poor image, and not big enough for cinema, but too big for normal telly.

I've got a 30" philips LCD, which is the same viewing area as a 32" CRT, and has a fantastic picture quality, and is about £1700. Also freed up a corner of the room where my old TV was, as its on the wall.

Perfect for TV or casual games.

For movies, I have a projector. Again, not that expensive, you can get a good one for less than £1500. Perfect.

Isn't really that offensive to the other half. Projector is small and on the ceiling out of the way. Screen is also fairly inconspicuous when rolled back.
Old 19 August 2004, 10:22 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Deffo go for a 32 or 36 incher LCD for tv and a projector for dvd's.

I had a projector in the bedroom for a while (wink, wink), good for videos / gaming but not for normal tv
Old 19 August 2004, 10:59 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

I have a 43" Hitachi and the picture is very good. True, not as sharp as CRT however from a digi source very good
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...28#post3629128
The only reason for sale is to free up some floor space (although it has now taken up residence on one of the spare bedrooms...or should I say ...soon to be cinema )
Old 19 August 2004, 11:14 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

IMHO those big sideboard sized projectors are bordering on chavness. especially when placed near your front window so all the world can see it
Old 19 August 2004, 11:49 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"six grand "

that would buy plenty of tickets to the cinema to see a proper movie!
Old 19 August 2004, 11:57 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I have a 52" thingy. Strangely - that is the same size as my rear. (projector TV.) It is in a 9ft * 9ft room with two 'Joey' recliners. It has been fitted 37 inches up the wall cos that gives the perfect viewing angle from a reclined recliner. Don't forget to add the price of a good sound system on top of the TV price and seating price. All in, I reckon the room cost me about 12k (including soundproofing, light roofing and 'acoustic curtains')

If the TV was going in a less than perfect room then I wouldn't go for rear projection. The perfect viewing angle if very narrow, and if you get even a small amount of light on the screen it reduces viewing pleasure.
Old 20 August 2004, 09:24 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Its not for me, I will being going Plasma or use a projector, going to convert the garage with the sole intention of home cinema, with absolutely no consideration being given to ornaments, fireplaces, pets, taste, decor or cost. I am anticipating spending about six grand for the sources, screen, amplification and speakers.
You've deffo got your priorities right!
Old 20 August 2004, 09:35 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Just to add - if anyone is thinking of buying a plasma screen, remember to take out the extra insurance - I am currently on my third replacement in 2 years.
Old 20 August 2004, 09:58 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's odd, I thought they would come with 2 years' guarantee like most products sold in the EU these days?
Old 20 August 2004, 10:13 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"six grand "

that would buy plenty of tickets to the cinema
...and the price of a car would buy you plenty of bus tickets - so what's your point?
Old 20 August 2004, 10:19 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh BTW, was in our local fancy shop looking at their range of plasmas, and the new pride of the display is a Hitachi with a SIXTY-THREE INCH SCREEN... yours for 21 000 euros.
Old 20 August 2004, 10:55 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Brendan - they come with 2 year warranty - but this means you sending it back to manufacturer for x amount of weeks (check price of postage for a plasma).

With my insurance - if they can't fix it on the day they come to your house a replacement will be given everytime.
Old 20 August 2004, 11:40 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
...and the price of a car would buy you plenty of bus tickets - so what's your point?

but i dont like buses.......and i do like seeing a movie at the cinema as opposed to sat on a chair in my living room.

T
Old 20 August 2004, 12:08 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I have a 52" thingy. Strangely - that is the same size as my rear. (projector TV.) It is in a 9ft * 9ft room with two 'Joey' recliners. It has been fitted 37 inches up the wall cos that gives the perfect viewing angle from a reclined recliner. Don't forget to add the price of a good sound system on top of the TV price and seating price. All in, I reckon the room cost me about 12k (including soundproofing, light roofing and 'acoustic curtains')

If the TV was going in a less than perfect room then I wouldn't go for rear projection. The perfect viewing angle if very narrow, and if you get even a small amount of light on the screen it reduces viewing pleasure.
Sounds cool....any chance of a picture.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

and i do like seeing a movie at the cinema as opposed to sat on a chair in my living room.
Mm, what an enjoyable experience it is too! Last time I went, I swore I'd just wait for stuff to come out on DVD. The cinema experience would be great if it wasn't for the other people that go . God, I sound such a snob... But the bloke next to me in LOTR was stoned and breathing was obviously a task for him, so he had to let everyone know how difficult it was by sounding as if he was trying to snort ping pong ***** regularly and often.

Home cinema really appeals
Old 20 August 2004, 12:28 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the joys of working for myself...i go with my wife a couple of times a week...5 min walk to to cinema.....never more than 10 ppl there during the day, often 1 or 2.

T

ps- to be fair i'd need to be stonned to watch lotr!
Old 20 August 2004, 12:33 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs

ps- to be fair i'd need to be stonned to watch lotr!

LOL
Old 20 August 2004, 07:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, I enjoy the cinema but not the company there, saw Harry Potter with the eldest lad and there were two f*ckin annoying kids p1ssing about all the way through it whilst their Chav mum ignored them whilst talking on her mobile.

Hence why I think six grand is a small price to play to enjoy a film, house is payed for so I can afford a mortgage to extend it and put the cinema room in, I have 3 lads aged 8,7 and 5 who will really appreciate a cinema room when they get older and now I expect.