Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Telly or projector?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2003, 04:39 PM
Scot123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well its new telly time in our house. I've got a few Sony models in mind but I'm also considering a digital projector to free up some floorspace and to get a large picture size.

Has anybody ditched the old boob tube in favour of a projector? How does the quality compare when looking at a tv picture projected onto on a wall?
Does the room have to be darkenend for best viewing?

Any recommendations?

Rgds

Scot
Old 25 March 2003, 04:55 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Scott.

I bought a Sony HS10 projector in December. The picture is nothing but stunning. I would'nt want to use it in daylight lit room as it really has'nt the brightness or contrast to cope(the same goes for any projector pretty much).

If you can live with a dark room to watch TV/Films/Play on the PS2 etc then pounds per inch there's nothing to match it.

Plasma is better for daylight viewing but is stil ££££, Rear projection TV's work well but need to be calibrated and the viewing angles can be restricted. Plus they take up shed loads of room.

You can use it on a wall, although the picture is'nt has good as if it's on a proper screen. People swear by painting a wall Icestorm 5 or 6(it's a dulux colour I think) and that seems to work well. I bought an 8ft tripod screen for 250 quid and that works really well if you only watch the odd film or 2.
You may want a manual screen if you want to watch TV, and that'll cost from £700+

Why not do what I do. Small(ish) 29" TV for TV and a projector for movies...
Old 25 March 2003, 05:01 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I really would recommend doing it - this is one area where size really does matter. I can pretty much guarantee you'll be blown away by a decent projector/surround setp.

Yes, the room has to be darkened. I don't know about projecting onto a wall, but a screen is easily attached to the ceiling and doesn't cost the earth (they start at around £100).

Depending on the projector you get (mine's a toshiba one, was highly recommended a couple of years ago and cost ~£2400, but you can probably get a good once for £1200 now), you may see very feint LCD panel lines, but on mine they are almost unnoticeable and don't interfere with viewing. So picture 'quality' will not be as good as decent TV set, but the size more than makes up for it.

Gary.
Old 25 March 2003, 05:01 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a 43" rear projection set.
Takes up less floor space (not as deep as CRT) and is not affected by bright light (no more so than CRT)

if it is a choice between your 2 go for a projector !
Old 25 March 2003, 05:35 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=191263
Old 25 March 2003, 05:37 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

How much are you thinking of spending?

www.bestpricetv.com
www.majikhouse.com

Old 25 March 2003, 06:33 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Richersounds have a couple of projectors, a Sony at £1000 inc. and a Marantz at £1250.
Old 25 March 2003, 09:28 PM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

You need both, it is not one or the other im afraid

I ve got a projector but most of the time you just want to flick on the Tv for a casual watch and cant be bothered with the projector. I save it for "reference" viewing, films etc. Once the novelty wears off the inconvenience of it for everyday lounge viewing becomes more apparent. Also projectors can be fatiguing to watch.

Old 25 March 2003, 09:56 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine comments that the one reason he wants a plasma to replace his projector as he has spent plenty on getting the sound system perfect, only to have the soft hummmmmmmmmmm of the projector's fan in the background. Hence, as mentioned, you can get tired after a film.
Old 26 March 2003, 12:01 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

V happy with my widescreen 43" Tosh projector. You do need to understand the principles of convergence though - esp if you move the set. This is however a piece of cake - just adjust the white crosses the TV produces so as they have the minimal amount of red or blue fringing on the edges (clearly never ever attempted in pub projectors)

Takes up surprisingly little space and is great in room daylght. Just make sure you are at least 6 foot away, and that you have your eyes level with the centre of the screen. Ohh and dont try to view it from a 45 degree angle!

D
Old 26 March 2003, 06:16 AM
Scot123
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers
I guess I'll have to go and see one in action. I was lookng at the Sony TV deal with the free DVD and video. Hoping to keep it under £1500 so this may rule out a projector.

Scot
Old 26 March 2003, 05:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

They look rubbish in showrooms mate - too low fron your stood up line of sight, too much bright halogen light and usually too close to you. Go see a mates' if you can.

(Wish I'd worked out that much earlier as it put me off buying one for years!)

D
Old 26 March 2003, 05:07 PM
ChrisB

I bought a Sony HS10 projector in December. The picture is nothing but stunning.
Hell yeah!

PS2 games at Neil's were stunning. As for Gladiator - just like being at the movies