Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home cinema help required

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2001, 11:11 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Got £8K to spend on a complete system. Yes really!

I need advice on equipment and where to buy?

Option 1.
Flat screen for £6K plus £2k for DVD, Video and 5.1/7.1 amp and speakers.

Option 2.
Projector for £2k plus WS telly (32inch?)and £4k for DVD, Video and 5.1/7.1 amp and speakers.

Or something better?

Sources are Digital Sat and analogue plus terrestrial. Must be easy to use and live with, speakers not too bulky but a sub (Rel?)is a must.

Any assistance appreciated.

F
Old 13 September 2001, 08:06 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Best amp is the Denon AVC A1 SE @ £2.5K
Best sub, REL Stadium III.
DVD player and speakers are really down to your own personal choice.
If you really want a plasma screen tv [and why not] go to Harrods and check out the Fujitsu 42" models they have on offer ...
There is also a silver Sony Plasma screen which is worth buying just to look at.
If you are around the Guildford area, og to 7oaks Hifi.
Talk to Ali. They are very good and have good listening rooms which they don't mind you using!
Old 13 September 2001, 08:11 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Martin for the advice. I've not looked at home cinema for years now and I'm out of touch with it all.

I've presently got a Rotel pro-logic pre-amp with matching 6 channel power amp and 6 Infinity speakers, which was good at the time but things have moved on a bit.

Your profile says your a telecoms engineer, what field of telecoms are you in?

F
Old 13 September 2001, 08:23 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was contracting as an SDH NOC engineer, but after 2 months since my last contract, I'm applying for every permanent job I think I can do. Just a little wary as my last perm job was with Ionica!

Martin.
Old 13 September 2001, 08:25 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The Denon AVC-A1SE is awesome (needless to say - I've got one).

Get a proper projector, the Denon, a region free DVD, some proper speakers and a decent sub. Voila´.

Infinity Kappas are lovely...

And a Paradigm Servo-15 is the sub to get for "fairly" decent money....if U can source one (400W RMS, closed cabinet...15", servo controlled, linear down to sub 20 Hz).

/J
Old 13 September 2001, 09:34 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

You can't go far wrong with a Sony CX860 DVD player either.

It holds 301 discs in a drum, DTS compatible, optical outs.
Old 13 September 2001, 10:22 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I've got about 5k worth of cinema/hifi kit which is Sony VPL CS10 projector (2k) TAG McClaren stereo amp and Yamaha E800 surround processor about £800, mission speakers, monitor audio sub and various bit of hifi.
Anyway I'd definately go down the projector route rather than a big telly. If I had 8k I would get the Sonys VPL-VW10HT which supports HD-TV and is about 4k.
Speakers are more personal but Miller & Kriesel (M&K) as generally considered the best cinema speakers £1500. REL subs are the best, £500 upwards.
For amps, I'd go with the latest TAG McClaren THX jobbie about £2500, dunno the model, but its got a nice big heat-sink on the front.
Toshiba and Sony DVDs are very good, but are not multi-region out of the box and thats a must in my book, so another £80 to get it chipped.
If you're spending this much in one go you will be able to haggle like **** so I'd expect 10-15% off all that lot.
For a telly - who cares, get a 32" widescreen from Sainburys for £299.
Old 13 September 2001, 10:32 AM
Berkeley
Scooby Newbie

Talking

I've got a 56" Widescreen Rear Projection Toshiba (now available around £2400) Makes a good wall divider! So long as you're viewing 8 feet plus away; I can't see that a plasma is £4000 better. Leaves a lot of money left to annoy the neighbours and shake the foundations.
Old 13 September 2001, 11:07 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by father_jack:
<B>
For amps, I'd go with the latest TAG McClaren THX jobbie about £2500, dunno the model, but its got a nice big heat-sink on the front.
[/quote]

That'd be the 100X5R, it ain't THX though, THX spec is (or was when this was released) one transformer per chassis, the 100X5R has one per channel, and one for the control bits. It does sound bloody good though, just be careful lifting the thing, they're bloody heavy! Trouble is, at £2500, it's a fair chunk of your budget for amplification. If you are set on a processor/amp combination, a TAG AV32R (EX version if you want 6.1 DTS and Dolby Digital) processor, and Rotel 5ch amp may be worth considering.

Martin.
Old 13 September 2001, 12:40 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Cool

To be honest, for 2K, you aint gonna get a very good projector. It may be better to go for a reconditioned Barco 808 from
Old 13 September 2001, 07:13 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

I agree with M_D_B about the Tag/Rotel combination, i have a Tag McLaren AV32R processor with a Rotel RB 985 mkII 5ch amp (THX) which worked out a lot cheaper than using the Tag Amp.

The AV32R is unless you head up to the likes of Lexicon a fantastic bit of equipment, it's fully upgradeable as upgrades are released e.g to EX, so you wont need replace your hardware every couple of years to keep up with new technology.

I use all KEF speakers (except Sub) but when i upgrade will probably go for B&W.
DVD wise i have a NAD T550 which is very good for both DVD playback and CD.

You probably allready know this but you will need to set aside a good chunk of your money for cables, QED and IXOS are allways very well rated and what i use.

I would also recommend a good remote to control all the kit, even though the Tag comes with a Learning remote it is not very user friendly, the Philips/Marantz Pronto is one of the best.

I bought all of my equipment from Audio Excellence who have stores across the country, and being members of BADA you get 3 years warranty on all kit bought from them, they also have a lot of Ex Demo equipment for sale have a look at...
Old 13 September 2001, 09:28 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Wow thanks guys although you've lost me just a little bit - where do you plug it in again?

Seriously though, I've done some digging with the info so far and it seems that I'm reasonably safe with the audio as no great advances are planned. The display on the other hand has some rapid development, not to mention the fact that plasma doesn't last long and if it gets bumped it's shagged!

5.1 should be good enough as it's a good advance over pro-logic but without spending zillions, I won't hear the difference against 7.1/9.1 etc. It's looking like a projector for the display with a grand for the installation inc cables. Any multi region DVD should be OK as I can't see a difference between an £800 model and a £100 jobbie (although it'll be somewhere in the middle).

I'll probably have an amp for each speaker and definately a Rel of some sort.

I should get a 32inch+ widescreen tele anyway for corrie!

F