Notices

just a few queries

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2009, 07:30 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a few queries

hi guys im not sure what should be on my car out of the factory an what shouldnt.
i bought the car last year an this car has had a few owners since me. its a uk 1999 turbo classic on a t plate an on plate under bonnet its an my00 model.
i have headlight adjusters in car but they dont work. can some1 post pics to show these please as i dont know if broke or taken off.
also my front calipers are only 2 pot but seen some have 4 pot.
ive bought a 4 pot upgrade but was wondering if the 4 pot was standard on this year or been taken off in past too. any help please. thanks guys
Old 25 December 2009, 07:41 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

If it's a UK car, then it should have headlight adjuster motors on the back of the headlamps. - The imports only had manual adjust IIRC.

It should have 4 pot front brakes too!
Old 25 December 2009, 07:45 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

it so wierd why it never had the brakes an why would somebody put weaker brakes on if it is the case. ive seen some older models with 4 pots. i bought some but bit annoyed ive had to spend for them. i cant see no motors mate. it has plugs that are detached but no where for them to plug to. thanks for quick reply mate
Old 25 December 2009, 08:06 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

also i been wanting to do spraying to spoiler. i bought a spoiler a while ago but is really crap. my car code is 52d but when i went to spectrum to match it, 52d+r matched it better than the 52d they had. did they make a model with 52d+r an would it say it under bonnet. ive got a new spoiler to paint an wondering whether to pick 52d next time as the last spoiler seemed it had more metalic than the car.
Old 25 December 2009, 08:15 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
i bought the car last year an this car has had a few owners since me.
Before you, surely?

its a uk 1999 turbo classic on a t plate an on plate under bonnet its an my00 model.
Why do you think it's an MY00 "under the bonnet"? If it's a GC8G it's an MY99. MY00 is GC8H

i have headlight adjusters in car but they dont work. can some1 post pics to show these please as i dont know if broke or taken off.
They're vaguely rectangular shaped black boxes on the back of the headight modules - and have the manual level adjust screws sticking out of the top of them. If they don't work, first thing to check is that they're still plugged in, and if so whether you can hear them actually working when someone flicks the adjuster.

also my front calipers are only 2 pot but seen some have 4 pot.
ive bought a 4 pot upgrade but was wondering if the 4 pot was standard on this year or been taken off in past too. any help please.
Yes should be four pot 294mm as standard on MY99/00 UK car. Likeliest reason is probably some previous owner fitting an aftermarket brake kit (and flogging the originals) and then selling the upgrade brakes separately and fitting the crap ones prior to flogging the car.

Unless of course it's a Sport with a turbo engine or something like that. What's the Applied Model code?
Old 25 December 2009, 08:34 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

lol i hope its not a sport it would say in the logbook wouldnt it lol. i am puzzled about the brakes but just gutted bout them. i cant see no boxes on back off headlights an that helps now that you said that. thanks.
its say on the plate my00 on a part of the vin plate an also has GC8G. was this like the very start of an my00 late my99.
its had 9 owners before me an didnt ask the question before i bought it so shot meself in the foot there
Old 25 December 2009, 11:18 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

lol i hope its not a sport it would say in the logbook wouldnt it lol.
Should do but don't bet your house on it. Log books can end up saying all sorts of strange things. From what you've said about the applied model code though, it doesn't sound like a Sport - far more likely to be a Turbo with the wrong front brakes.

i am puzzled about the brakes but just gutted bout them. i cant see no boxes on back off headlights an that helps now that you said that. thanks.
Do the headlamps actually have the word "Subaru" moulded into the lower centre of the lenses? IIRC you can get pattern parts that don't have the auto adjusters on them. Might be that it's had a bit of front end damage and been repaired on the cheap. The adjusters, if they're present, are a good inch thick and two inches or so square of black plastic, and should be easy to spot tucked behind the light - look between the coolant expansion tank and the grey headlamp moulding and you should see one.

its say on the plate my00 on a part of the vin plate
It doesn't. The only mention of the model year on the ID plates are the tenth character of the VIN itself, and the fourth character of the applied model code. The plates don't contain the letters "MY" next to each other.

If the tenth character of the VIN is an X, (i.e. JF1GC8KD3XG....) and the applied model code is GC8GK8D then you have an MY99 Impreza Turbo 2000. 2000 there is part of the car's name (and is a reference to the engine capacity), not the model year.

an also has GC8G. was this like the very start of an my00 late my99.
It's not an MY00. GC8GK8D means it's an MY99. It will have been built somewhere between September '98 at earliest and August '99 latest. You can get a rough idea of when it was assembled when you work on the car, as many of the parts will have manufacturing date codes on them. Figure on the car being assembled within two or three months of most of the components inside it being manufactured. Also, if it's on a T-plate, that means (barring a number change) that it was registered between March 1st and August 31st 1999.

Last edited by Splitpin; 25 December 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 25 December 2009, 11:33 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

nice 1 mate there some things i understand an some parts to take it about model codes etc. i will have good luck at the plate tomorra an see what it has actually written but i know defo it is GC8G. i will also check lamps an it has had a bump with a past owner which i wasnt aware of until i had bought it. hopefully i will find a part with a date on it an be able to tell when it was built. nice 1 an happy christmas
Old 25 December 2009, 11:48 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 8 part of "GC8..." = 2.0 litre turbo engine. So it should be a Turbo 2000 AWD (why not check for the presence of a turbo/TMIC?!) so long as the Applied model code reads GC8?4KD (where K = UK car).

Actually, T reg is between March-Aug 1999 so, as long as DVLA have given it the CORRECT plate (reflecting the date of manufacture), then it's actually a MY99 car - as Splitpin states. Therefore, the "?" = should be F... or G... depending on what you read/are led to believe, eh Splitpin!

Last edited by joz8968; 26 December 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 10:00 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

my logbook says it registered in april 1999 so your right there guys. yea mate defo turbo an tmic in there but as splitpin said earlier it could be a sport with a turbo lump thrown in. gonna look at the code today
Old 26 December 2009, 04:54 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...but as splitpin said earlier it could be a sport with a turbo lump thrown in. gonna look at the code today
That's right - but the code should reveal all...