Re-map?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2008, 10:48 AM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-map?

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if i need to have my 95 WRX import re-mapped? or even how i can tell if its already been done or could i just get hold of an ecu from a UK motor and swap them over?????as im soooo confused about the issue

Mod's so far are full decat 3" stainless system and a K&N induction kit.

Sorry if they sound like a load of dumb *** questions but im still new to impreza's and imports etc
Old 18 April 2008, 11:07 AM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

I dont think you can re-map it with out changing the ecu. I would make sure you run in on v power or somthing simular due to it being designed for higher octaine fuels . i use v-power an octaine booster and it runs alot better
Old 18 April 2008, 11:10 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

No you cant just swap the ecu's over. Its needs to be remapped tho. The imports dont tent to run well on our inferior fuel as standard. Now you have decatted it, it will make the problem a lot worse. Get it mapped before you do any damage.

The ecu cannot be remapped, but it can have a daughter board fitted which can be remapped.

Andrew Carr does this. He lives in preston. There maybe someone more local to you?
Old 18 April 2008, 11:14 AM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

right i will be looking into that then, cheers guys
Old 18 April 2008, 11:26 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for running it on UK fuel it will be fine (gotta be SUL though).
I run my 93 wrx (with decat) on UK fuel and it's fine BUT to get the most out of the decat get it remapped (www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk supplies and maps various ecus).
Old 18 April 2008, 12:31 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

To confirm, you will need to gain access to your ecu, not difficult really, and check what model it is. Mine is the same MY as yours and had the Z4 ecu which 'supposedly' is much better mapped for UK SUL fuel.

Previous owners to me all seemed to get on fine with SUL and no additives. I use V-Power as a matter of course, mainly as the garage is close and secondly the car does very few miles in comparison. The savings for me over a tank don't warrant using anything less. If I did thousands of miles a year then obviously different.

You cannot 'remap' this type of ecu, but you can add a 'postal chip' with pre mapped conditions on it. I have one of these from Scott T on this forum. Some love em, some hate em. I have no problems and noticed a decent change from the Z4 standard map. Fuel economy seems to be better and overall driveability slightly better. Not massive gains mind you, but noticeable. Certainly the cheaper 'interim' method for me. I will eventually go the full ecu change along with other mods but the piggy bank needs to fill up first.

A search for Polar Performance or Scooby ECU will bring up lots of info on the subject.
Old 18 April 2008, 12:46 PM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nuttynick, i've seen quite a few refrences to polar performance with people saying how good things from scott T were so i think i will save some pennys and speak to him about getting something sorted. at the moment im running it on BP ultimate or watever its called today as the nearest shell garage is about 12 miles away
Old 18 April 2008, 01:00 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NUTTYNICK

You cannot 'remap' this type of ecu, but you can add a 'postal chip' with pre mapped conditions on it. I have one of these from Scott T on this forum. Some love em, some hate em. I have no problems and noticed a decent change from the Z4 standard map. Fuel economy seems to be better and overall driveability slightly better. Not massive gains mind you, but noticeable. Certainly the cheaper 'interim' method for me. I will eventually go the full ecu change along with other mods but the piggy bank needs to fill up first.
I would not bother with the above chip if it was my car.

The daughter board I referenced earlier is a fully re-mappable board. The map will the specific to your car and alterations to the map can be made if you do any further mods. It doesnt cost the earth either.

Im not knocking polar, just my opinion.

Cheers

Mike
Old 18 April 2008, 01:37 PM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

once again cheers for the advice, as a total newbi i appreciate everyones opinon
Old 18 April 2008, 03:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shmerman
I would not bother with the above chip if it was my car.

The daughter board I referenced earlier is a fully re-mappable board. The map will the specific to your car and alterations to the map can be made if you do any further mods. It doesnt cost the earth either.

Im not knocking polar, just my opinion.

Cheers

Mike

to be fair polarperformance do supply the daughter board as well
Old 18 April 2008, 05:32 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby Iain
Cheers Nuttynick, i've seen quite a few refrences to polar performance with people saying how good things from scott T were so i think i will save some pennys and speak to him about getting something sorted. at the moment im running it on BP ultimate or watever its called today as the nearest shell garage is about 12 miles away
I wouldn't use BP Ultimate if I were you do a search and see what some of the tuners such as Zen or Andy Forrest have to say about it. Tesco 99 would probably be a better bet if you've got a local supply.
Old 18 April 2008, 07:26 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i was in a similar position about a year ago.i spoke to member on here R4lly 07903009634 who happens to be a supplier of a lot scooby goodies at very very reasonable prices as well as a apexi pfc ECU for my car and he recomended i paid slow boy racing a visit for the fitting and remap. since then i speak to neil at slow boy-racing.co.uk for recomendations and get the parts from vision performance couldnt be happier with the service and customer care match made in heaven. i hope that will be help full enough
Old 18 April 2008, 08:38 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

sorry to hijack,but what codes should i be looking for on my ecu,ive a 94 wrx?

cheers stu
Old 18 April 2008, 08:50 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart69
sorry to hijack,but what codes should i be looking for on my ecu,ive a 94 wrx?

cheers stu
ecu codes?

U8, W6, 2C - WRX 92-94

if it's a late 94 (after Sept) z4
Old 19 April 2008, 05:32 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJMS
I wouldn't use BP Ultimate if I were you do a search and see what some of the tuners such as Zen or Andy Forrest have to say about it. Tesco 99 would probably be a better bet if you've got a local supply.
Just to confirm, NEVER NEVER use BP Ultimate in a scoob. It causes Det and this in time will knacker your engine. As said above, Tesco 99 is pretty good if available, if not any other 'Super' but not BP I drive 15 miles to fill up with V-Power as mine has been mapped for it. I don't mind the short journey to fill up, but, I do mind the price £1.19/ltr Still smiles per miles it worth it.
Old 22 April 2008, 11:00 AM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

So, does anyone know how hard it is to fit a chip etc from Polar performance?

or should i just go for the option of the second hand ecu with the socket fitted?
Old 22 April 2008, 12:01 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby Iain
So, does anyone know how hard it is to fit a chip etc from Polar performance?

or should i just go for the option of the second hand ecu with the socket fitted?

a little bit of soldering skill is required as it can be quite fiddly, if in doubt go for the 2nd hand ecu and chip (leaving yours avaliable in case something goes wrong)