Sponsored by:

CV boot replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2023, 02:01 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default CV boot replacement.

Hi All, was under car trying to see if brake pads were ok (failed, had to remove wheel in the end), and shock horror! Saw that an inner CV boot was badly split! Grease every where but inside boot. Have ordered a new boot kit from ICP, and wld like to know if anyone has managed to fit one using the cone method ?...Looks kinda brutal, like the boot might split..
Old 31 October 2023, 03:17 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the cones are designed to be used with specific 'stretchy' boots...........personally would simply strip and install a genuine Subaru boot
The following 2 users liked this post by stockcar:
Old 31 October 2023, 03:28 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I did my 07 Fsti and it was just a circlip ,mine was the inner cv boot by the turbo, likely due to the heat , which seems to be the one to go ? What years did subaru go down the lines of not having a circlip ? , I’ve not had to change one before and was relatively easy , the only bit that can be a real bu…r is the drive shaft is stuck in the hub
The following users liked this post:
Old 01 November 2023, 11:32 AM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, I've already bought the cone, not seen a 'stretchy' boot that's compatible, but hadn't considered removing the front cv joint as the way to go. I'll do some YouTube viewing on the subject.... every day's a school day!
Old 01 November 2023, 03:22 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

You can use a universal stretchy boot with the cone, they can vary in quality and are not as robust as oe but they do work
Old 01 November 2023, 04:40 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

When I changed the inner cv , the material felt very tough for a cv boot , it was a subaru original part , if it was me , I would only do a subaru part there as that’s what subaru planned , if the inner one fails then it’s grease onto a likely hot downpipe so for me a not worth taking the risk 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 01 November 2023, 10:06 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Thnx for that👍 have ordered a genuine boot + kit from ICP, have found a YouTube guide and have bought some of those boot clips + the pliers.

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2023, 10:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The good stretch boots are made by Bailcast.

Personally its all I use now, the Bailcast ones last just as long and much quicker to replace (especially with the air expander).

Yeah OE seems nice for originality, but if the OE boot is the hard plastic type and the CV joint is stuck on the shaft it can be a ball ache. Requiring complete shaft removal, big vice, hammering and a new circlip as the old ones mullared: Making a 30 minute job one taking several hours. Then the new boot pops off, CV joint knocks or shaft seal fails just to add insult making you have to do it all again. Or you have a really bad day and joint falls apart. I'm too old for dealing with that potential crap on my day off every time a boot splits, been there done that...stretchy it is LOL.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 November 2023 at 11:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ALi-B:
Old 03 November 2023, 01:30 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

ALi-B....! made me chuckle.... yep, you're a realist alright 👍
Also thanks for the observations too.... made me realise I must check I've got some 90° circlip pliers, or buy some. (love collecting tools)
Old 03 November 2023, 05:09 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The good stretch boots are made by Bailcast.

Personally its all I use now, the Bailcast ones last just as long and much quicker to replace (especially with the air expander).

Yeah OE seems nice for originality, but if the OE boot is the hard plastic type and the CV joint is stuck on the shaft it can be a ball ache. Requiring complete shaft removal, big vice, hammering and a new circlip as the old ones mullared: Making a 30 minute job one taking several hours. Then the new boot pops off, CV joint knocks or shaft seal fails just to add insult making you have to do it all again. Or you have a really bad day and joint falls apart. I'm too old for dealing with that potential crap on my day off every time a boot splits, been there done that...stretchy it is LOL.
Exactly