When do I need a re-map and why?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 09:03 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all

Just wondering which mods require a re-map and why?

Last year I had a unichip, water injection (on at 0.8 bar) and an EVC IV boost controller (running 1.2 bar) fitted to my UK MY00 - car was mapped on day of mods. Turbo was a standard TD04L

I have recently fitted a VF22 hybrid turbo and will be fitting an APS FMIC next week.

I assume that if I want to run the same boost (1.2 bar) on the VF22 I will need a re-map to add more fuel as more air is being flowed compared to the TD04L. Is this right? Am I risking running lean at the moment?

Assuming I need a re-map - should I get the unichip re-mapped immediately or should I wait until the FMIC is fitted?

Cheers for any help.

Rich.
Old 11 June 2001, 11:07 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi Rich
how are you getting on with your hybrid ? has it made a big difference ?

the answer to your question is you should have had a re map as soon as you got your turbo. why you ask ? well your new turbo is pushing so much more air at the same boost level ( that is why you actually bought it ) and there for you will be running leaner than with the standard turbo. when i i had my VF23 fitted i had to enrichen the top end just a little . but also i had to lean out the low end as you are not running higher boost until slightly later. i hope this is making sense. also you will release more power if you are running the correct mixtures.

however if your are going for a FMIC ( i believe the same one as me ) i would maybe turn the boost down to 1.0bar for safety just now and then get a re map as changing the turbo will need the map changed as well. by how much i don't know yet.

all the above applies to the LINK ECU i don't know if the unichip runs closed or open lambda operation. so i could be talking out of my 4rse.

sam
Old 11 June 2001, 11:45 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Get a remap asap, and another when you get your front mount.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking crap. Turning your boost down may give you some leeway until it is done, but even at 1.0 bar on a vf 22 (largest standard compressor) you will be flowing much more air.

Dont know much about unichip, but think it modifies fuelling when it is "mapped" and I would guess therefore that the original map removes the excess that the jecs normally runs.

Had you had a standard ecu you might have been okay for a while as it runs very rich when operating on its map. Cruise and idle wouldnt matter as it operates closed loop lambda control.

In short, get a remap, now!
Old 11 June 2001, 11:59 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i hope you don't mean i am talking crap adam.

i have seen at least two maps for MY99 cars runing vf22 and although they needed a little remaping it was not that much. so chill out a bit mate. but again that was with the link maps. don't know about the unichip.

sam
Old 12 June 2001, 12:59 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

Unichip and bigger turbo isn't possible for up to MY99 cars, as the MAF sensor of these cars cannot read as much air. So Link is the way to go!

greetings
ric
Old 12 June 2001, 08:41 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Sam,

Don't forget to take the "master" value into account, when comparing maps. Also, was the lambda switched on, or off.

If we accept that a larger turbo will give more power, by flowing more air, and producing a cooler charge density, then it's common sense, that the fuelling will need to be increased, in some areas.

The point about reducing the fuelling lower down, is very valid. As would having to increase the ignition in the same areas........ I'd also expect to be able to increase the ignition in the higher boost areas, since the charge density is lower, and a turbo that spins up slightly slower is less prone to transitional det'.

I'd like to hear Bob R's oppinion,

Mark.

Old 12 June 2001, 09:49 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Sam,

I am not saying you are talking cr@p at all.

I agree with everything you said. I dont have mapping experience at all. I just know of teh theoretical effects of modifications on the fuelling.

It just upsets me as I have heard so many "respected tuners" telling concerned customers that remapping isn't necessary, leaving the owner with a car that is running seriously dodgy fuelling.

Certainly wasn't a dig at you!

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2001, 01:34 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks Adam i was getting worried.

Mark
form my personal experience with my car. i actually had to reduce the ignition by 1 dergree at the top end. you can really increase the advance at the low end a bit. but at the top end it was not the case. i know engines differ from one car to the other.

so were you able to increase the advance at row 6 when you changed to bigger turbo ?

ric
i don't understand your point but i would have thought it was possible with the UNichip. the APS car in OZ is running 1.3 bar with a VF22 and unichip and it is a MY99 i think ?
Old 12 June 2001, 02:01 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the comments guys - backed up what I suspected. Unfortunately I can not get it booked it in for a week so will take it easy until then.

Sam - It's made a very big difference and is very driveable with hardly any lag. I'll really be able to tell when the FMIC is fitted and the unichip is re-mapped so I can run 1.2 bar (currently only running 1.0 bar).

Might have to look at other options for boost control as the EVC IV cannot tail the boost off at high revs. Suggestions?

Rich.
Old 12 June 2001, 02:47 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Sam,

The APS car is either a MY99 or MY00. They are identical mechanically and electronically and have no problem with the Unichip and bigger turbo.

I think Ric meant up to MY98. I don't know much about this model, so I don't know how it would go with the Unichip and larger turbo.

WREXY.
Old 12 June 2001, 03:15 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Rich, options for boost control. Link or Motec. Pat is the only person I know of running Pectel, so tuning knowledge is sparce. With Link or Motec, you have a few people about that know what they are doing. (I think they know what they are doing anyway.)

Dan