Notices

Rain X

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 1999, 01:52 AM
Maf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody use this stuff and is it any good?
For some reason I find my scooby's window screen gets really smeary, really fast, in light drisel. Wondered if this stuff would help?
Old 01 March 1999, 07:28 AM
Paul L
Scooby Regular

I use it but have mixed feelings about it.

Basically it causes small droplets on the windscreen to combine into bigger drops and then the airflow over the car pushes them off the windscreen - excellent in drizzel and fantastic in the spray when overtaking lorries in wet weather.

The minus point that I've found is in some mornings when its dry, but when there's moiture in the air causing dew on parked cars. In these conditions it seems to encourage the moisture in the air to effect my windscreen, and hence I seem to be the only car on the road with windscreen wipers going!!

(Apparently you can get Rain-X for the inside of windows now, which is supposed to prevent misting-up)

Paul
Old 01 March 1999, 08:04 AM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Maf,
Nip down to Halfords and get yourself some "Rain Wizard". It works fantastically and lasts for months on one application

Best Regards
Benny
Old 01 March 1999, 09:28 AM
JohnS

I have tried most of these applications over the past few years. I find it fantastic for the rear window, good on the side windows, but hate it on the windscreen.

Why ?

They cause a misting effect when the wipers are on. Doesn't bother some people, but it annoys me, especially when travelling at town speeds or the rain isn't very heavy.

I'll admit it was great at higher speeds, or in heavy rain where the droplets wre esimply pushed off the screen without needing the wipers.

I also found the stuff a real pain to remove from the windscreen as well (there's a thread from a long time ago on this very subject in here somewhere!).
Old 01 March 1999, 09:36 AM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

I agree with JohnS completely
Old 01 March 1999, 10:09 PM
Maf
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, mixed bag of replies here.
I must admit, I hate the thought of doing anything to my windowscreen that I'm not 100% on. Vision is everything.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01 March 1999, 10:26 PM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

Rain X or a comparitive product was first developed for aircraft canopies - not for cars - so that should give you some indication of its design flaws - ie fab at med/high speed but pants at low speed as is born out by other people. Plus you have to be very careful about what washer fluid you use with it - as it can tend to form milky deposits/thin film under the wiper blade thus actually making matters worse.

[This message has been edited by Robbie (edited 01-03-99).]
Old 02 March 1999, 08:37 PM
vanya gant
Scooby Regular

smearing, and how often you get it, also relates to how much driving you do behind diesel vehicles and how much diesel is on the road. this soaks into the rubber of the wipers and causes the problem by forming micellar complexes with water and some component of the rubber i think.. scrub the blades with good dtergent (and then rewax your bonnet!) and things get much better. i have to do this twice a week at the mo.....
Old 02 March 1999, 09:21 PM
gpa
Scooby Newbie

Hi.. I found it caused black marks where the blade ends traverse the 'screen. Seemed to react with the blade compound.
And, yes, it's a bugger to get off. Wouldn't use it on a windscreen, but it is good for keeping headlights cleanish, if you don't have washers. Seems to stop the crud sticking....

- Graham
Old 03 March 1999, 12:27 AM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

I also agree with Johns. Side windows and back window only (good on wing mirrors / headlights as well). Too much smearing at low speed on windscreen and I am still trying to get if off!