Notices

Rain-X - how do I remove it ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 1998, 10:26 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put on some Rain-X a few months back, and while it is great in heavy rain, and when moving at speed, I find it less than ideal in light rain/slow speeds, when I get a misting effect from the wipers

It is starting to wear off slowly (not too much rain recently), but I would like to remove it all from the area swept by the wipers.

Has anyone got any good ideas on how to remove the stuff once applied ?

Cheers

John
Old 22 October 1998, 02:25 PM
Chris
Scooby Regular

erm...without stating the obvious... have you tried a normal window cleaner? - You didn't mention if you had....
Old 22 October 1998, 02:53 PM
JohnS

Hi Chris,

yes I have tried window cleaners, including undiluted screen wash. I have tried T-Cut stuff as well, but that didn't do much either

I think I might need something more abrasive, or some sort of solvent. It will come off eventually through normal wiper use, but I can't afford to wait that long.

I have some cutting polish in the garage, so I might try that with a lot of elbow grease, but was just hoping that someone had an "easy" solution.

Cheers

John
Old 22 October 1998, 06:04 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Is there an address or number on the box ?
I had a similar problem with Thompsons Water seal, it remains sticky. I called them and it comes off with White Spirit.
Old 22 October 1998, 08:13 PM
Colin
Scooby Regular

I tried a similar product about a year ago and found it great in heavy rain but worse at all other times - especially cold damp mornings - as micro water droplets would form (similar to your experiences I think). I found that the original cleaning compound (supplied to clean the glass prior to application) made some headway, although with considerable effort.
My overall conclusion was use the product on the side windows but NOT the windscreen or rear window.
Old 24 October 1998, 10:10 PM
JohnS

OK then. After much experimenting and hard labour, I have found the best solution to this problem.

Rubbing Compound - which is used to rub down paint. It requires a lot of hard work (1/2 per side) manually, but would be OK with an electric drill/polisher etc.

I also tried Auto Glym glass polish, but it wasn't nearly as effective as the rubbing compound, but it did smell nicer!

The windscreen wipers now move across the screen smoothly, without any misting effect, and the windows actually seem clearer to look through (especially at night), but it could just be I have removed a film of dirt as well.

John

PS I still think the stuff is fab for rear/side windows/headlamps etc.
Old 03 November 1998, 01:06 PM
Adam
Scooby Regular

I'm amazed that it didn't come off after a few months. I agree that it's crap in light rain, but it was completely gone from the swept area of our screen after 1,000 miles / 1 week.

I was just about to go on a Rain X binge on the other glass on the car ... I was thinking of trying it on the insides too, in case it works as an anti-fog thing.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 1998, 04:11 PM
JohnS

I wouldn't risk it on the insides of the windows, just in case it made them "perma-fog" in damp conditions. It's hard enough to remove from the outside where you can apply pressure more easily.

One good thing I noticed about applying it to the rear and side windows is that it repels frost! Only my front windscreen was frozen at the weekend, unlike the other 5 or 6 cars parked alongside my own. They were covered in the same amount of moisture, but a quick wipe with you hands gave perfectly clear windows

It also seems to help the limited capabilites of the headlamp washer system if you do the lens glass as well.
Old 30 July 2005, 05:42 PM
lomaximus
Scooby Regular

Hi guys!

Tfr (traffic film remover) removes it easily
T&G (tar & Glue) also does
If you don't have any of these a damp cloth with paint thinners does the same trick! (put the thinners on the cloth!!)

Rain X is a seriously pants product though!!!!

Try rain wizard its ten times the product rain x is!!! I have no problems with it what so ever! Its rare as rocking horse proverbial tho! i think you can only find it on ebay nowadays!!! Its bright pink and looks like a butt plug! you can get it for about £5 delivered!

Fareclare is also good! but Rain wizard is the daddy!!

Enjoy!
Old 30 July 2005, 06:56 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

I think it's safe to say they'll have removed it by now
Old 30 July 2005, 07:56 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

7 years, lasts well does rainX..!
Old 31 July 2005, 12:40 PM
lomaximus
Scooby Regular

try rain wizard far superior product! no smears what so ever at any speed or condition!
Old 31 July 2005, 01:23 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

you're not selling it on ebay by any chance are you?
Old 31 July 2005, 01:40 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Best thing I've used on Windows is Autoglym High Gloss Polish (the one with the Gold label). Meant to be used on bodywork, but it works a treat - no kidding.
Old 31 July 2005, 02:42 PM
lomaximus
Scooby Regular

Lol Nah mate i've got a valeting business and i swear by it i wouldn't let my guys use anything else! i'm gutted that they've gone bust! the fareclare stuff is just as good but its 4 times the price!!! bummer!!! have to use the best otherwise get customers complaining!!!