Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Mapper could not write to ECU

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2020, 04:55 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mapper could not write to ECU

I am hoping someone may be able to advise me here. On Friday I took my 54-plate (05 MY) JDM Blob WRX to be Ecutek-mapped by a very well known and respected mapper who I have used before. Unfortunately, when I came back to pick up the car he advised that he had been unable to map my car owing to his software being unable to write to my car's ECU. He said he could read the ECU fine and that the car was running perfectly well but there was nothing he could do to map the existing ECU. He did suggest an 05 STi ECU may work (and be map-able) on my car but could not make any firm recommendation.

I know that Newage JDM WRXs are a relative rarity in the UK so I had sought said mapper's advice prior to importing the car and he confirmed that it would not be a problem to map it - so I am a bit stumped by what to do next. The car drives nicely enough but it's a real disappointment to not have it mapped to its potential. Had I known I'd have this issue I would have held out for a clean UK car.

I am afraid I am not too knowledgeable on mapping or what the right questions to ask are, but do all mappers use the same software? Is there really no way I can get my existing ECU mapped? I am 99.9% sure it will just have the standard ECU as it came from Japan as a totally standard car.

Any input much appreciated!
Old 28 June 2020, 05:39 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Have you tried contacting Ecutek themselves or another Ecutek mapper?
Old 28 June 2020, 07:01 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Some info here, not sure of the outcome

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=15&t=8712

Last edited by Don Clark; 28 June 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 28 June 2020, 08:40 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Personally I believe your mapper, and one or two other well known mappers, have alot of problems mapping Jdm cars; when I contacted your mapper repeatedly by various email addresses and phone messages about my twinscroll, he didn't even have to courtesy to reply. ( assuming it's who you have mentioned in previous posts)
I'd try to find someone who uses open source, rather than someone tied to Ecutek , though I appreciate you may have to travel a long way. I've got the same problem, just at the opposite end of the country

Last edited by hedgecutter; 28 June 2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 28 June 2020, 10:22 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

A friend has a 2007 Cross Sport - No one could map it with open source but with Ecutek it was possible. (Indigo GT)
Old 29 June 2020, 07:58 AM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Responses appreciated chaps! I emailed Ecutek a couple of days ago so hopefully they can shed some light, I have also got in touch with a garage local to me who have prior form mapping Subarus. At least with them it is not too far if they can't do anything. I would gladly travel the length of the UK if I could have reasonable assurance that I would be driving home with a mapped car. It really is a frustrating situation but one which I am determined there must be a solution for!
Old 29 June 2020, 03:19 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

you could of course go aftermarket ECU, but that's at least 1000-something to have fitted + mapped
Old 30 June 2020, 12:54 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the ECU type AJ800 is already supported in ECUTek software so I don't think it will be an issue with ECUTek side of things, more likely a specific quirk of your car so could be something to do with the OBD port wiring or the flash block etc. that's preventing your car specifically from being flashed not that model of WRX generally.
The following users liked this post:
Old 30 June 2020, 04:45 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
the ECU type AJ800 is already supported in ECUTek software so I don't think it will be an issue with ECUTek side of things, more likely a specific quirk of your car so could be something to do with the OBD port wiring or the flash block etc. that's preventing your car specifically from being flashed not that model of WRX generally.
Thanks very much for your help earlier and the research you did on my ECU - going to check the wiring under the steering rack when I get home tonight
Old 30 June 2020, 09:18 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Might be worth Speaking to Matty at MB Plant to see if he can communicate with the ECU and be able to map it (he is local so no big cost to double check) but as you say - the Mapper you used knows his onions but you are making me worry about mapping my 2006 Cross Sport Forester as it is the same engine and ECU..... albeit with a few new "changes to the engine bay

Russell
Old 01 July 2020, 12:41 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WUZ
Might be worth Speaking to Matty at MB Plant to see if he can communicate with the ECU and be able to map it (he is local so no big cost to double check) but as you say - the Mapper you used knows his onions but you are making me worry about mapping my 2006 Cross Sport Forester as it is the same engine and ECU..... albeit with a few new "changes to the engine bay

Russell
Taking the car over to MB on Friday morning so they can plug it in and see if they will be able to write to my ECU - if that works I have mapping booked there for early August Failing that I will be driving over to Northern Ireland to see Bludgod!
Old 01 July 2020, 08:27 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by HonestIago
Taking the car over to MB on Friday morning so they can plug it in and see if they will be able to write to my ECU - if that works I have mapping booked there for early August Failing that I will be driving over to Northern Ireland to see Bludgod!
Let us know how you get on then Ian waiting with baited breath!

Last edited by WUZ; 01 July 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03 July 2020, 10:03 AM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WUZ
Let us know how you get on then Ian waiting with baited breath!
Matty plugged his laptop in this morning and assured me he will not have a problem writing to my car's ECU - either by Ecutek or open source "EcuFlash". Really nice and helpful guy! Will update this thread in a month's time to hopefully report back on the mapping
Old 03 July 2020, 08:40 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Ian - did he give you any prices??? Feel free to PM if you prefer.
Old 10 August 2020, 02:49 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Glad to say I finally had a positive resolution to this situation! Matty at MB Motorsport in Aberdeenshire successfully EcuTek-mapped my JDM WRX at the end of last week. He maps on a dyno so I got before and after dyno printouts: went from 237bhp/225lbs ft to 273bhp/267lbs ft.

He did say beforehand that their dyno is known to be conservative which maybe partly explains the car not making factory power. Regardless, it now goes as it should so I am very pleased!
Old 10 August 2020, 02:57 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Old 10 August 2020, 04:07 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

happy days, was it the second set of greens on the passenger side preventing it or just bad luck connecting to the obd port previously? numbers look good too should be a different car now
Old 10 August 2020, 04:21 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
happy days, was it the second set of greens on the passenger side preventing it or just bad luck connecting to the obd port previously? numbers look good too should be a different car now
Honestly no idea! All I know is Matty had no problems, nothing amiss at all as far as he was concerned - the initial mapper's issue will remain a mystery it seems!

It really is transformed - not the fastest car (or even Impreza) I have had but really satisfying to drive now!
Old 11 August 2020, 04:29 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by HonestIago
Honestly no idea! All I know is Matty had no problems, nothing amiss at all as far as he was concerned - the initial mapper's issue will remain a mystery it seems!

It really is transformed - not the fastest car (or even Impreza) I have had but really satisfying to drive now!
Great news - Heard you coming back "into the Village" at the weekend, the car does sound really good tbh!

Will need to get the Forester in once I finally get back home and get time to fit the "safety mods"
Old 11 August 2020, 08:17 AM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WUZ
Great news - Heard you coming back "into the Village" at the weekend, the car does sound really good tbh!

Will need to get the Forester in once I finally get back home and get time to fit the "safety mods"
Haha thanks, glad to hear! Using Matty seems like a no-brainer for us up in these parts!
Old 11 August 2020, 06:41 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good news he got you sorted, I'm looking forward to mine visiting him once ready