Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Couple of self mapping questions

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2014, 07:35 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of self mapping questions

Couple of easy questions folks. I'm self mapping using ESL on my 97 Classic.

1) Go MAF-less?
2) If so, what would be a suitable IAT sensor?

I have a front mount intercooler and I'm almost certain it's causing some boost issues for me by still using the MAF for load. Is this possible? I've chatted to Andy Stevens a lot about my boost control problems and I've never really been able to get to the bottom of it, namely huge initial surges and unstable boost. The only way I can suppress it is to significantly reduce maximum WG duty cycle. It does work but it's not fixing the problem. All the hardware is fine, restrictor pill present, new vac pipes, all clips present etc
Old 10 August 2014, 07:40 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Would be this be of any use?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=330957422211
Old 10 August 2014, 08:19 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

Thats more outside air temp, you would want a threaded one post turbo. Cant help with speed density as ive stuck with maf.

I presume you have dialled back initial wastegate duty a few % just before peak boost to try reducing surge. I found most stable boost by turning off turbo dynamics and dialling in initial wastegate duty first. I would have left it off but no per gear boost on my fxt so had to turn feedback back on for fifth.

A tight/aftermarket wastegate spring would make it a bit more trickier too apparently.
Old 10 August 2014, 08:30 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

The turbo dynamics options are new to me with the update of the ESL software recently. I'm not sure exactly what they do or what effect changing them would have.

So I should position an IAT sensor on the compressor outlet side of the turbo perhaps just before the throttle body and not just behind the air filter? I think Andy sent me a couple of links a while back for sensors, I'll try to find them.
Old 10 August 2014, 09:08 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

What is the spec? If you don't already have a 3 port solenoid try one. Saying that I get good boost control in the 2 port fitted to mine so I haven't bothered with fitting the 3 port I have.

Also, I'm assuming you are mapping from wastegate pressure up? In stages I mean, like wastegate, 1, 1.5, 1.2 etc.
Old 10 August 2014, 09:23 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Yes been taking the boost up in small steps to keep things safe. I started at WG pressure just to prove that the WG is working and started going up from there. I am still using the 2 port which I've cleaned and so on, it appears to be working fine. I haven't touched the car for a few months and last had it set at 1.2bar but with WG duty set low to stop spikes and stabilise everything. I kinda gave up at that because other than replacing the boost solenoid with a 3 port, I ran out of things to replace.

Rough spec:

Engine rebuilt by previous owner with uprated rods, pistons etc. sadly I don't know what was used though so can only take the engine as standard spec.

1997 UK T2000
FMIC
TD04
Blitz Nur spec R full system
Decat up and down pipes
Standard injectors and FPR
Zeitronix ZT2 wide band controller, all optional sensors added
ESL with Motorsport options added
Old 10 August 2014, 09:50 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest why use a fmic with a td04? Is the turbo size maybe the issue at that boost level on a fmic? I don't know, just asking the question.
Old 10 August 2014, 09:57 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

That's just the way the car came to me. I didn't think it would have any negative effect other than the time taken to pressurise the intake system? Just a thought, I'm probably wrong. My thinking was with the longer pipework etc, the solenoid can't react properly to get the boost under control in time using its standard WG duty settings.

Last edited by piehole1983; 10 August 2014 at 09:59 PM.